Why did Pacquiao fight Mosley?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BoxingFollower View Post

Bob Arum & Roach had said that Floyd won over a old, shot Mosley, but then they pick him.

Why didn't he fight someone prime? With Pac being three suppose P4P king couldn't he have easily sold a ppv bout with Berto, Madiana, or Bradley? After all, all these guys have bigger followings than Joshua Clottey could ever dream if.

Or was it for money? I thought Pacquiao was the peoples champion and not money hungry like Mayweather?
    as much as i like pac i have no idea it was a worthless fight but hey i guess they wanted to give mosley another big pay cheque seeming as though his ex wiped him out, the rematch with JMM makes more sense tbh it would have been a better fight to watch instead of pacs 12 round sparring session with mosley, ah well whats done is done if pac beats JMM then either Berto/Zavek Winner or Mike Jones or just a thought ortiz/mayweather jr winner (lol)

Comment

Originally posted by jrosales13 View Post
      Why? What would that matter or prove? If you didn't know what the rankings were at the time. Then it's obvious that you just have no idea what you're talking about.

I mean not like it was 4 years ago. It was just 4 months.
      I think Mosley could have been 3 or 4.

Comment

Originally posted by BritishBoxing92 View Post
        as much as i like pac i have no idea it was a worthless fight but hey i guess they wanted to give mosley another big pay cheque seeming as though his ex wiped him out, the rematch with JMM makes more sense tbh it would have been a better fight to watch instead of pacs 12 round sparring session with mosley, ah well whats done is done if pac beats JMM then either Berto/Zavek Winner or Mike Jones or just a thought ortiz/mayweather jr winner (lol)
        You think Pacquiao takes Berto next???

If the Floyd fight still can't be made in May 2012...I see him taking the winner of Cotto-Margarito again. Or even fighting Ortiz if he loses to Mayweaher.

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingFollower View Post

Bob Arum & Roach had said that Floyd won over a old, shot Mosley, but then they pick him.

Why didn't he fight someone prime? With Pac being three suppose P4P king couldn't he have easily sold a ppv bout with Berto, Madiana, or Bradley? After all, all these guys have bigger followings than Joshua Clottey could ever dream if.

Or was it for money? I thought Pacquiao was the peoples champion and not money hungry like Mayweather?
          bussiness is first no matter what people say.. in every sports its all about money. your not gonna see a top quarter back go play for the worst team for the same amount of money he was getting on the winning team just because the fans wants him too. mosley might be old but the truth is his name is still bigger than betro, madiana and bradley.

Comment

Because he looked good enough for the first 2 rounds against Mayweather that they thought it might be an interesting fight, and yet still looked bad enough against Mora that Roach knew he wasn't that big of a threat at this stage of his career.

Comment

Originally posted by D4thincarnation View Post
              I think Mosley could have been 3 or 4.
              He was behind Berto. If you didn't know that, then I just don't know what to tell you.

Comment

Couldn't or wouldn't. It was Mosley's tactics to be defensive, he feared Pacquiao's power.

And he did look in better shape as everyone who saw the weigh in agreed on.
                No, he couldn't....COULDN'T pull the trigger any more. He is/was shot to pieces.

He couldn't pull the trigger fast enough against Mora or against Floyd after 2 rounds.

If could he would have. The reason why he was so defensive. Was because, he was shot to pieces and he COULDN'T Pull the trigger fast enough.

He just done as a fighter. The Margarito fight was his last hurrah. Every great fighter has one last good fight. The Margarito was his. He looked horrible in his fight prior to Margarito.

He just shot. Don't come in here with this wouldn't nonsense. It's because he couldn't.

And, whose everyone that agreed? I saw both weigh-ins. There is no evidence that he was in better shape comparing to the other fight.

You're an idiot.

Comment

Originally posted by jrosales13 View Post
                  Name wise Berto doesn't have the name recognition as Mosley.

But, the Berto fight was still very sell-able.

You could have sold it as Pac vs an African American fighter for the first time in his career(Haitian American, but even so) and a fast fighter at that. Who was coming off a dominated 1st round KO win.

You could have sold it as Pac vs a young undefeated champion.

You could have sold it as Pac unifying and cleaning out the division.

All those 3 would have made that fight bankable.

You add all that with Pac name. You could have sold that fight. They chose to go the easy route though and cherry pick a shot to pieces fighter. It is what it is, I suppose.
                  Yeah of course it would have sold well but the bottom line is the Sugar Shane name just holds more weight with casual fans.

I mean I personally would have rather seen Pac unify with a young champ but I dont think Pac ducked Berto and I understand the thinking behind picking Shane.

Comment

Just as I thought Mosley was ranked 3rd at welter when Pacquiao fought Mosley

No.1 Pacquiao
                    No.2 Ortiz
                    No.3 Mosley

http://ringtv.craveonline.com/blog/1...pound-rankings

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/6...s-in-the-world

Pacquiao taking on the best available again.

Comment

Just as I thought Mosley was ranked 3rd at welter when Pacquiao fought Mosley

No.1 Pacquiao
                      No.2 Ortiz
                      No.3 Mosley

http://ringtv.craveonline.com/blog/1...pound-rankings

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/6...s-in-the-world

Pacquiao taking on the best available again.
                      Apparently you do not understand, timeline and time frames.

Comment

Working...
                      X