Comments Thread For: Kelly Pavlik - The End Of An Error

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Kelly Pavlik - The End Of An Error

By Jake Donovan - Fool me once…

The reaction was sharp and harsh when word first leaked out Tuesday afternoon of former middleweight king Kelly Pavlik abruptly pulling out of this weekend’s schedule tune-up against Darryl Cunningham.

Unprofessional.

Disrespectful.

Disappointing.

Irrational.

Illogical.

The adjectives were endless in describing his actions, which resulted in the entire show being canceled and leaving Showtime without a boxing telecast to air this weekend.

Most of the responses came from the perspective of perhaps still believing that Pavlik had enough left to live up to past glory and promise. But one particular viewpoint was startingly overlooked:

The fact that it’s consistent with his past behavior.

It’s hardly the first time he’s pulled out of a fight and left everyone else standing in the cold.

It’s not even the first time he’s disrespected the folks at Showtime.

What it can possibly be is the last time he’s put in a position to let anyone down.

But what we have to ask ourselves is how he made it back to that point in the first place.

In an industry where there seem to be fewer stars with each passing generation, there exists the desperation to cling to past names, in hopes that they help bridge the gap while in search of the next “it” fighter.

With that in mind, Pavlik has been given as many free passes as a top fighter – formerly or otherwise – can be granted without actually earning such forgiveness.

It was along those lines in which we even gave a damn about what was billed as a ‘special edition of Showtime’s Shobox: The Next Generation.’ It was billed as a special edition, as is often the case when the headlining act strays from the spirit of the series, which normally focuses on rising young talent. [Click Here To Read More]

Another excellent article by Jake Donovan. Cheers, man. This article really puts the nail in Pavlik's career as anyone who reads it will be incredibly skeptical of him in the future.

A legitimate white champion in the United States is still a big deal. Pavlik could have potentially had a great deal of spotlight and really cashed in. Instead, Pavlik has chosen to step off from his path paved with gold. How many boxers would do anything for half the opportunity he has had?

And to wait until fight week to walk out on everything is disrespectful beyond belief.

Comment

let's find out what exactly the reason is before we be so quick to judge.

Comment

kelly definitely has some things he need to work on.

Comment

maybe everyone should be reminded that it's boxers who run the show at the end of the day, not promoters or TV network's.
          not that i agree with what happened as pavlik should have pulled out much earlier, but i don't appreciate all the hard blood.
          pavlik doesn't want to fight, and maybe couldn't even make the contract weight, the rest is just excuses that seem to be rampant in boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by texasboi15 View Post
            Yeah, his respect for his fans and for the sport of boxing.

People wanna talk about Judah getting all of these opportunities, but he actually takes them, he loses, but he takes them.

This guy gets opportunities and throws them in the nearest garbage can.

Abraham at 160: Pavlik didn't want to fight him, so went up to fight Hopkins at 170 for more money. Used the weight as an excuse.

Williams a former WW at 160, Pavlik pulled out, I forgot why.

Williams again, Pavlik pulled out with a staph injection.

Martinez rematch option, didn't take it, left boxing for over a year because of alcohol problems.

Cunningham/Bute, pulled out for "business reasons" supposedly.

5 different chances at wins against good name opponents. I never liked this guy, so I don't really care. I'm just saying.

Comment

Originally Posted by texasboi15 View Post

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
              Yeah, his respect for his fans and for the sport of boxing.

People wanna talk about Judah getting all of these opportunities, but he actually takes them, he loses, but he takes them.

This guy gets opportunities and throws them in the nearest garbage can.

Abraham at 160: Pavlik didn't want to fight him, so went up to fight Hopkins at 170 for more money. Used the weight as an excuse.

Williams a former WW at 160, Pavlik pulled out, I forgot why.

Williams again, Pavlik pulled out with a staph injection.

Martinez rematch option, didn't take it, left boxing for over a year because of alcohol problems.

Cunningham/Bute, pulled out for "business reasons" supposedly.

5 different chances at wins against good name opponents. I never liked this guy, so I don't really care. I'm just saying.
              Good post man, but you summed it up perfectly in the very first sentence.

Comment

JOKE! JOKE! JOKE! No heart , No desire, No PAYDAY! NO RESPECT! Another paycheck fighter...Who are you to demand more money? You're lucky you got another shot to even fight for 50K? MOst boxers would give anything to fight on Showtime and you throw it away, you unappreciative drunk...Congrats your claim to boxing fame will be the fights against Taylor and Espino...Its not what you did in Boxing, it's what you end up doing and your legacy: And the stupidest thing I have heard is that boxers have more pull than promoters... Ugggghhh..Maybe only if your name is COtto, Manny, Money May, Khan and Klitschko...I see Pavlik fightin at a backyard BBQ in Youngstown...LOL...BUtte? Are you serious? I can't believe Arum was even going to give you six figures to fight him...Weak in the mind equals weak in the heart which equals to KTFO!

Comment

Kelly is done Bob Arum should let this guy go already he let a lot of people down he shouldn't have agreed to fight these guys in the first place he's going to pull out because of the money he was going to get. Then don't sign the contracts but don't pull out of the fight with a couple of days close to fight nite not cool.

Comment

Originally posted by texasboi15 View Post
                    let's find out what exactly the reason is before we be so quick to judge.
                    This- though you'd have to acknowledge it doesn't look good.

Comment

Working...
                    X