Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ola Afolabi says Wlad is discriminated against in the US because of where he's from

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Freedom.
    I wish everybody had the class and honesty that you have.
    I may be wrong, but I don't think Wlad lost to bums because he was white. I don't think his chin is suspect because he is white.

People assess Wlad based on his opponents. He's KO'd a bunch of bums and been KO'd by bums.

Comment

Froch, Calzaghe, Kessler, Abraham all got on HBO or Showtime and got big purses, all European.

Khan, Hamed (who aren't white but are both European) have been on HBO and fought in the US and earnt very big purses with Khan guaranteed 1 Million per fight. Lewis did very well on HBO.

It might be the Klitschko's aren't with Top Rank or Goldenboy, and since very few HW's are represented by GB or TR and they hold most of the HBO or Showtime dates that american TV companies simply can't fit them into their schedule where there are so few dates held.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Dunn View Post
        I may be wrong, but I don't think Wlad lost to bums because he was white. I don't think his chin is suspect because he is white.

People assess Wlad based on his opponents. He's KO'd a bunch of bums and been KO'd by bums.
        Just like Lennox Lewis and Mike Tyson, then, eh?

Comment

Originally posted by Macks View Post
          Theres an obvious agenda in American media when it comes to African American athletes. Im not going to pretend i know why it is, but you have to be blind not to see it.

Its not a coincidence that HW boxing is dead in the u.s now that theres a couple of white guys on top.
          I don't get this, why would the American media agenda be pro-black? (if that's what you're saying)

Comment

Originally posted by House of Stone View Post
            He's not discriminated against at all. Its just that casual fans want to see somebody like Tyson who comes in and puts it all on the line not somebody who uses his brain and skills to tactically dominate. for that reason Wlad doesn't get the koudos he deserves.
            Tyson has a lower KO ratio than both Klitschkos.

Comment

Originally posted by The Weebler II View Post
              I don't get this, why would the American media agenda be pro-black? (if that's what you're saying)
              Kind of hard to explain. Here in America we got white guilt + it seems like the media prefers black athletes especially in boxing. A lot of these old school guys refuse to believe a good white heavyweight can exist, or even a good white boxer period.

As an American, I believe the hatred for White European boxers is about 80% because of their skin color, 20% because they are non-American.

Comment

All total rubbish.

Vitali was WELL on his way to being a major U.S. star. He was selling hot in NYC and LA. His four years off killed his mo here but, matched with Arreola, he still did great business and ratings in SoCal. American fans were ready to embrace him and it just didn't work out.

Wlad never had a moment as compelling as the Lewis fight (and its post-fight fire) or won the sort of crowd pleaser that the Vitali-Sanders fight was. Peter I was close to that, and Brock was a solid, but Ibragimov just stunk and he hasn't fought in the U.S. since. All those fights sold solid tickets and did good ratings, but not the sort of business or ratings he does abroad. His lack of presence, and mid-day fights when fight fans simply aren't used to watching anymore, effectively took the Heavyweight title off what place it had on the U.S. radar.

Now, the fights are not here, the money is not here, and so Heavyweight isn't the factor it was. Lewis wasn't huge U.S. business without the right foe in his prime either. But he never fought abroad for four straight years so he forced notice on U.S. fans even if appreciation came later.

Heavyweights have been down before for the same reason they mostly are now in the U.S.: the fights aren't very entertaining and there isn't a huge, polarizing personality (like Floyd is lower on the scale). That matters in a market where boxing is a niche.

If boxing were still as mainstream in the U.S. as it was in the early 80s when fight quality also often sucked at Heavy outside Holmes's best stuff, they'd have a more prominent place and fight times wouldn't matter so much.

So there's a lot of rational arguments to be made.

Or we can fall to some sort of lame ass white self loathing. Yeah. That's the ticket.

Comment

Originally posted by SekondzOut View Post
                  this^^^^^^^^^^^^....if Wlad was black it would be cool for many.....I wish dudes would be honest!!!
                  I wish everybody had the class and honesty that you have.

Comment

Yes it's because they aren't black. That's the reason Pacquiao isn't popular. Wait....... That's the reason Marciano wasn't popular. Wait........

Comment

Originally posted by johnm View Post
                      Boo hoo. Half the people crying in this thread, despise American boxers. And Tunney, specifically, hates black American boxers. Then, claims everyone OTHER than himself to be a racist.

So, with all due respect.... go fuck yourselves.

We have an Eastern European from Canada whining about shit in the U.S.

It's amazing.

Then we got people actually thinking Rocky IV is the basis behind some kind of Cold War hatred? The **** was made in the mid 80's, you dumb fucks. Rocky beat Drago, and a stand in played Gorbachev. Apollo got killed, but he returned in Predator.

"Discrimination".
                      You have no idea, or context of the word, Tunney.

Comment

Working...
                      X