Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Myth Buster Series Pt 1: Miguel Cotto one of The GREAT fighters Floyd avoided?!?!?!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BoxeoBoriqua View Post
    zab was floyds best win 147 until he fought an older mosley then the one cotto fought. and when judah and he fought, zab duffed him and mayweathers glove touched the canvas, should have been ruled a kd. so mayweather was too good to fight cotto after 2007, early 2008????? is that what u are saying???? if margarito is just a pressure fighter is slow then why didnt mayweather fight him either??? floyd fans are so dumb. why wouldnt u wanna see the fights instead of saying he is too good to fight them????
    Not to mention Floyd won the Judah fight in a decision and Cotto finished him off.

Comment

Idk he had trouble dealing with Manny's hand speed and Floyd's hand speed is just as fast. He wouldn't pressure Cotto though and fighting backwards is Cotto's downfall. He can circle and come forward, but he just can't fight backing up. I think Cotto-post Mosley fight- give Floyd hell at welter. Now a days I can't say for sure, haven't seen Floyd fight in over a year.

Comment

Originally posted by Cash Cow View Post
        Do you guys remember wayyyy before Manny Pacquiao was ever considered a legit opponent let alone an actual threat, Cotto, Margarito & Williams were all supposed to be the guys who had what it took to be Mayweathers toughest opponents. We will focus on Miguel Cotto right now. Since 2007 lets see what the MOST Feared and ducked Cotto has done...

Cotto although ko'ing Judah in the 11th round he was getting busted up by the non combination puncher Zab who landed %57 of his POWER SHOTS. Zab busted Cotto up in the process of him getting knocked out. He fought to a draw with Mosley. The fight was so close many thought it was a draw or couldve went either way. Cotto was in full retreat mode at the end as well....

Then Cotto gets beat down and quits vs Margarito who is nothing but a pressure fighter who is slow. Then he gets busted up by the ultra defensive Clottey. We all know the whooping Manny put on him after that.

No way any version of Miguel Cotto from 2007 would've been any match for Mayweather....ALSO REMEMBER COTTO WASNT READY FOR MAYWEATHER IN 2005 WHEN THEY WERE BOTH CHAMPS AT 140 AND BOTH PROMOTED BY TOP RANK. I mean he wasnt ready right? So between 2005 & by the time he fought Mosley in 2007 Paul Malignaggi, Carlos Quintana, Oktay Urkal, & Zab Judah were the preparation he needed to be ready for Mayweather?? Gimme a break....

Since being smashed my Pacquiao, he FINALLY beat an ACTUAL World Champ and didnt get a Championship by winning a Vacant title when he defeated the Hard Hitting/1 Legged Yuri Foreman who has an impressive 8 ko's......I appreciate Miguel Cotto and he has had great fights but he has always been just a decent fighter and never was the elite type fighter to impose any kind of legitimate threat to Floyd Mayweather.

His best win is a disputed victory over Shane Mosley who just dropped back down to WW and didnt have a title. It took him 37 fights to FINALLY beat an ACTUAL World Champ and even then the caliber of that opponent is c class at best. I respect Cotto for all that he has provided us boxing fans but just because you are a warrior and are tough in no way equates to you having the necessary skill set and smarts to beat Mayweather.

Can we all just put this particular myth to rest?
        i consider cotto, even with his bad days, was and still is a great fighter...myth? no....

pbf avoided cotto....myth? no.....it is the truth....

pbf has to fight cotto to prove he is not ducking miguel.....

who wins is irrelevant............

Comment

Cotto was undefeated and in his prime he can box with the best of them. Of course this was before margarito happen .Because ever since that fight he hasn't been the same since .Would he have beaten Mayweather I don't know but I don't think he would have but it would,ve been fun to watch but Mayweather is a smart fighter he didn't do what he did just to do it he did avoid fighters in his prime let's face it .But he does not care what you think it's him in the ring not you so he sits back and makes millions fighting who he knows he can beat.

Comment

Man EVERY Fighter beats Cotto up....why wouldnt the most accurate boxer do so?....Also the history books will show that Cotto was NEVER a legit threat. All you have to do is look at Cottos opposition since 2007 and how he fared vs them. Cotto has never beat an ELITE champion who held a belt. He has no defense and retreats when the going gets tough. Slow hand speed and same combinations over and over. Look at what Clottey did to him. Landed right hands at will and uppercuts....Mayweather would shred Cotto......

WHO HAS COTTO BEAT??
            You can make all your assumptions, your woulda and coulda, but it will never be proof that Cotto can't beat Floyd unless they get in the ring. It will just remain a fantasy in your mind.

Comment

Do you guys remember wayyyy before Manny Pacquiao was ever considered a legit opponent let alone an actual threat, Cotto, Margarito & Williams were all supposed to be the guys who had what it took to be Mayweathers toughest opponents. We will focus on Miguel Cotto right now. Since 2007 lets see what the MOST Feared and ducked Cotto has done...

Cotto although ko'ing Judah in the 11th round he was getting busted up by the non combination puncher Zab who landed %57 of his POWER SHOTS. Zab busted Cotto up in the process of him getting knocked out. He fought to a draw with Mosley. The fight was so close many thought it was a draw or couldve went either way. Cotto was in full retreat mode at the end as well....

Then Cotto gets beat down and quits vs Margarito who is nothing but a pressure fighter who is slow. Then he gets busted up by the ultra defensive Clottey. We all know the whooping Manny put on him after that.

No way any version of Miguel Cotto from 2007 would've been any match for Mayweather....ALSO REMEMBER COTTO WASNT READY FOR MAYWEATHER IN 2005 WHEN THEY WERE BOTH CHAMPS AT 140 AND BOTH PROMOTED BY TOP RANK. I mean he wasnt ready right? So between 2005 & by the time he fought Mosley in 2007 Paul Malignaggi, Carlos Quintana, Oktay Urkal, & Zab Judah were the preparation he needed to be ready for Mayweather?? Gimme a break....

Since being smashed my Pacquiao, he FINALLY beat an ACTUAL World Champ and didnt get a Championship by winning a Vacant title when he defeated the Hard Hitting/1 Legged Yuri Foreman who has an impressive 8 ko's......I appreciate Miguel Cotto and he has had great fights but he has always been just a decent fighter and never was the elite type fighter to impose any kind of legitimate threat to Floyd Mayweather.

His best win is a disputed victory over Shane Mosley who just dropped back down to WW and didnt have a title. It took him 37 fights to FINALLY beat an ACTUAL World Champ and even then the caliber of that opponent is c class at best. I respect Cotto for all that he has provided us boxing fans but just because you are a warrior and are tough in no way equates to you having the necessary skill set and smarts to beat Mayweather.

Can we all just put this particular myth to rest?
              Even the shot, busted up version of Cotto today still gives Floyd some problems, TRUTH.

Comment

Originally posted by Left Hook Tua View Post
                if top fighters only fought guys who could beat them , they'd have very few fights.

whether cotto or marg could have beat floyd is irrelevant. the fact is they were the top fighters in the division and deserved a shot.
                They were not top fighters in the division, you fcuking led paint chip eating assshole.

In November of 2007, Cotto had just won the first noteworthy match of his entire career against Shane in a match most thought should have gone the other way. Floyd fought and defeated Hatton in December of 2008 where he announced his year long hiatus.

In 2007, Paul Williams had beaten Antonio Margarito. Williams himself lost his very next match.

Margarito went on to beat Cotto bloody. And then Shane Mosley went on to TKO Margarito.

How in the fcuk were these men top fighters back in 2007? How were they top fighters at any point when Floyd was seeking a fight when they were getting knocked out?

The truth is, Margarito and Cotto are Arum's pawns. Arum was sending a message to Floyd after Floyd fired him in 2006 that said:

"It doesn't matter to me. To make any money at WW you have to fight my guys. So go ahead and fire me".

Arum never anticipated his guys getting picked off like they did. At one point he got so desperate that he put his own guys against each other and the results were disastrous because Cotto's rep went down the toilet.

Cotto struggled against yet another stablemate in Joshua Clottey. So much in fact, that at one point during their match Cotto body slammed Clottey out of frustration. They GAVE Cotto the win, but he honestly didn't beat Clottey. Everyone saw it.

Floyd has consistently fought the #1 and #2 guys in EVERY division except jrWW because Kostya Tszyu demanded a 60/40 split and wouldn't budge. You can't say that about ANY OTHER BOXER in this era.

That last person to do that in multi divisions was Roy Jones Jr, who fought Bernard Hopkins at MW, James Toney when Toney was P4P#1 at SMW, Jones unified an entire division except for the WBO belt held captive in Germany by Dariusz Michalczewski. He fought and defeated John Ruiz at HW because Lennox Lewis himself refused to fight Jones stating "I have nothing to gain in that fight and everything to lose".

Know your boxing, peasant. Know your ****.

Comment

Floyd didn't fight Cotto because Cotto lives in Puerto Rico and that would mess with the scheduling of the fight...

Comment

Originally posted by Manny#1ATG View Post
                    I really like Cotto and would've liked to seen the Mayweather fight, but I really don't think any version of him beats Mayweather. I think Cotto gets vastly overrated on here because it is Pacquiao's best win in years and the Red K Brigade does anything they can to try and buff Pac's credentials. I'm not sure why they do it, as they are good enough without the idiotic things you hear on here.
                    Those blind Floyd fellow Americans should voted Floyd Fighter of the Decade instead the midget Pacquiao.

Comment

Nice way to play if off, but Cotto was clearly the most logical opponent for Floyd to fight in the WW division after he beat Judah. Paul Williams was irrelevant at that point, as he hadn't beat Margo yet.

What dis Floyd do, he cherry picked a 140 pounder(Hatton).

Comment

Working...
                      X