No announcement yet.

Why was David Haye never taught how to box

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by catskills23 View Post
    What I saw of Haye saturday night really pissed me off . The guy had excellent , speed , power and head movement . But his footwork was woeful he could slip punches really well but he couldnt counter with combinations . His punching technique ie his telegraphed hayemake can be seen coming a mile away . It was very frustating to watch him because Haye is by far the most talented fighter in divsion and he could easily beat Wlad who is heavyweight champ by default . I am sorry but Wlad is most one dimensional fighter I have ever seen . He has a decent jab and is good at keeping his opponents at distance but he can only throw a jab and a right hand . He cannot throw any combinations , his inside fighting is non existant . Any sort of head movement gives him fits . You might say Haye made him miss so much because he was running from wlad the whole time and was super cautious but in one round where Wlad trapped Haye on the ropes he opened up on Haye and missed by wide margins he made Wlad clumsy . If Haye made Wlad pay for those misses he would of knocked Wlad out .

If Wlad is so basic, how come he's still HW champ? Wlad might be tall, but he only has a 3 inch reach over Haye, and a few of his other opponents probably had comparable reaches to, so why couldn't they beat him either?

Chris Byrd has way better head-movement than Haye, and better technique, he's just as quick to, yet he also lost to Wlad.

Sooner or later people are gonna have to start giving Wlad his just due, irrespective of whether they like his style.

Comment

Cant haye box, thats news to me? Can audley box? Audley harrison was said to have all the skills in the world but no heart and no chin.

Skills dont pay the bills.

Comment

What do you mean Booth has taken him as far as he can. Booth has taken him nowhere . Haye does things that only a novice would do . The main reason the heavyweights outside of Klischkos are so ****e is not because of a lack of talent or poor conditioning. It is because clowns like Booth who never boxed in his life are training all the damn heavyweights. I mean what are Booths credentials? .He has a degree in sports science and he was Kylie Minogues personal trainer . I mean give me a ****in break . I mean Emanuel Steward is the only trainer who knows the sweet science and the the best heavyweight in the world happens to be trained by him , coincidence I dont think so . I mean think back to the 80's or 90's trainers we had the legendary Angelo Dundee , Eddie Futch argubably the greatest trainer of all time , Kevin Rooney not a great trainer but he was taught from the best and knew the peek a boo style inside out , Ray Arcel, Emanuel Steward, Tommy Brooks,Ron Turner, Tony Tubbs trainer Odel Hadley , Lou Duva, Richie Giachetti, Slim Robinson, Floyd Patterson . All these guys were either ex fighters at the top level or they knew the boxing book inside out, there are countless others who I cant think of at the moment . But the only guy who has the credentials to call himself a trainer is Emanuel Steward and he is one of the best in the business and also an ex fighter . Freddie Roach was another great trainer but he doesnt even train heavyweights anymore. Buddy Mcgirt is another but he doesnt train heavyweights anymore.
        Actually, Booth was 40-8 as an amateur which is a respectable record. He was about to turn pro but broke his leg badly and couldn't.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiTown2Diego View Post
          I hear you bro, but here we go again with the IFs

IF can be applied to any fighter to make them better than they are. IF Wlad developed an inside game, a multi-dimension attack, varied his combinations, etc, etc...

Sure they can make themselves better but it's like the saying in the dog world "you get the dog you deserve". In other words the work you put in, in part, will determine the skill set. BTW I wouldn't say Haye is the most talented in the division. More like the most athletic
          Yes I thought quite fast for such a flat footed fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by stefl14 View Post
            Actually, Booth was 40-8 as an amateur which is a respectable record. He was about to turn pro but broke his leg badly and couldn't.
            If Booth had turned pro on a 40-8 record, we wouldnt be discussing him today, he'd be a punch drunk pug. Papp had a 307-12 record with 6 draws plus 4 Olympic Gold Medals, before HE turned pro. aged 32., back in 1957.

Comment

Originally posted by hugh grant View Post
              Cant haye box, thats news to me? Can audley box? Audley harrison was said to have all the skills in the world but no heart and no chin.

Skills dont pay the bills.
              Grant, I wish you'd change that picture, it makes me cry every time I see it. he looks a real beaten down schlemiel and schlemazzal. In other words...a nebuchell.

Comment

Actually, Booth was 40-8 as an amateur which is a respectable record. He was about to turn pro but broke his toe badly and couldn't.
                fixed

Comment

He must of broke his leg on account of his poor footwork and balance . Doesent matter if he fought as an amateur . He clearly doesent know enough about the sweet science to train a top 10 heavyweight.

Comment

He must of broke his leg on account of his poor footwork and balance . Doesent matter if he fought as an amateur . He clearly doesent know enough about the sweet science to train a top 10 heavyweight.
                    Haye has basic technical flaws, real basic, but the kind that if you adjust, your gonna change everything about him. For a start, Haye fights with his shoulders squared up, but strangely enough, maintains a side on stance with his feet, whilst doing this, his lead toe, is pointing too straight, as appose to 5 past 3, now this might seem insignificant, but trust me, it leaves your body in awkward position, and can lead to you uncoordinated, having sloppy footwork and leaky defense, particularly when you always fight with a wide stance, and always look to throw with power.

Comment

haye leaves his hands down but gets caught by even super slow jabs

******ity and arrogance

the patented "hayemaker" isn't even in the top 10 power shots in th HW division

time to learn some new tricks

Comment

Working...
                      X