No announcement yet.

Hatton - Mayweather... made for each other

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hatton - Mayweather... made for each other

This isn't my observation, it was a reader's letter in the UK magazine Boxing News.

But they suggested Hatton vs. Mayweather is a perfectly matched 50-50 bout, much more enticing than Mayweather's carvery with Gatti would suggest.

The idea is this... if you had to pick someone who could beat Ricky Hatton (and, as much as people like to rag on his "on the way" opposition, the guy IS undefeated, and did just give Zoo a career-ending beating) you'd come up with a formula that would resemble Mayweather. The perfect opponent for an in-close pressure fighter.

Yet... if you could imagine one person who could possibly beat Mayweather... Hatton would be the ideal formula. An intense pressure fighter who's on a guy's chest non-stop for 12 rounds and never gets tired.

I'm not saying Ricky would beat Floyd... all I'm saying is he'd be the best possible candidate to do it, and vice versa.

Originally posted by Anorak
    This isn't my observation, it was a reader's letter in the UK magazine Boxing News.

But they suggested Hatton vs. Mayweather is a perfectly matched 50-50 bout, much more enticing than Mayweather's carvery with Gatti would suggest.

The idea is this... if you had to pick someone who could beat Ricky Hatton (and, as much as people like to rag on his "on the way" opposition, the guy IS undefeated, and did just give Zoo a career-ending beating) you'd come up with a formula that would resemble Mayweather. The perfect opponent for an in-close pressure fighter.

Yet... if you could imagine one person who could possibly beat Mayweather... Hatton would be the ideal formula. An intense pressure fighter who's on a guy's chest non-stop for 12 rounds and never gets tired.

I'm not saying Ricky would beat Floyd... all I'm saying is he'd be the best possible candidate to do it, and vice versa.
    That's exactly how it's talked about here, too. While you could say that Mayweather can dance and outbox him for twelve straight, you can also say that Hatton's relentless attack will open up possibilities for him.

This will be a great fight if it ever goes down.

Comment

Originally posted by BadMagick
      That's exactly how it's talked about here, too. While you could say that Mayweather can dance and outbox him for twelve straight, you can also say that Hatton's relentless attack will open up possibilities for him.

This will be a great fight if it ever goes down.
      Yeah, I mean, I can't really envisage anyone being able to take down Mayweather at this stage of his career, but if I had to pick someone to give it a shot, he'd be my boy.

Poor old Cotto is a defeat waiting to happen...

Comment

this fight would go 1 of 2 ways being that hatton is aggresive..he could get his ass handed to him by floyd ala diego corrales..or it could be a boring fight with hatton following him around and getting jabbed all night ala castillo

Comment

the management of these two fighters need to get off their ass and make this fight happen. before one of them gets some kind of weird L on their record from some crazy unexpected fight. i mean i'm not saying that would happen easily- but while they're both undefeated- they need to fight. the implications would be huge, it would potentially be their biggest paydays to date. they just need to do it.

and if i had to pick- floyd. of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Anorak

Poor old Cotto is a defeat waiting to happen...
            I don't agree! The only guy at 140 I see beating Cotto is PBF. We all seen Cotto against Maussa. Hatton is fighting Maussa next, so lets see who performs better against Maussa. I'm picking Hatton to beat Maussa by UD. This will be an interesting fight.

Comment

This is exactly how i picture it, pressuring Floyd Mayweather isnt like pressuring Tszyu, not even close, with Mayweather, your gonna catch like 5 punches going in, and about 3 on the clinch, and mayweather will likely back someone off with the forearm to setup some other punch.

The term "Pressuring Mayweather" is not as easy as its said. And Mayweather is fast enough to get out of the way, running and throwing off balance punches to be countered over and over is alot of wear and tear, Floyd defense is so elite, he protects himself so well for every scenerio, this is a tough fight for Hatton.
              Last edited by El Jesus; 05-29-2008, 03:41 PM.

Comment

I've been watching all of their fights of the last three or four years over and over, and the visualisation I am getting is Hatton stopping him to the body in the middle rounds.

Bare in mind that I'm actually rarely wrong when it comes to predicting outcomes of fights.

That is what I visualise.

Comment

Originally posted by JUYJUY
                  I've been watching all of their fights of the last three or four years over and over, and the visualisation I am getting is Hatton stopping him to the body in the middle rounds.

Bare in mind that I'm actually rarely wrong when it comes to predicting outcomes of fights.

That is what I visualise.
                  I visualize Hatton being hit many times like Gatti.

Comment

Having watched Ricky Hatton since he was an amateur, I can safely say that nobody would of lived with him if he took the sport more seriously and did things right. Mayweather would not of lived with what was the potential Ricky Hatton.

The guy can drink for England and eat for England, he has only ever started training for a fight eight weeks out and has done ****ing nothing but drink and eat until eight weeks out from a fight for eight years. Damn, losing 40-50lbs 39 times in eight years is going to take its toll! And since he started using weights in 2002, I've seen his speed and sharpness gradually decrease.

I still see him beating Mayweather, stopping him middle rounds to the body. But Ricky could of been as good as anything if he really wanted it.
                    Last edited by JUYJUY; 10-04-2005, 09:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X