No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Photos: Team Puerto Rico Unite, Visit Wilfred Benitez

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cotto#1p4p View Post
    It's more sad that they're using him for public relations purposes, they'll give him a check, get a ton of pub for it and then forget about him.

It's even more sad that two PR boxers that have made so many millions like Tito and Cotto have done **** for him, that's really a disgrace, shame on both of them.
    I thought something along these lines before you made this post. I agree, it would be nice if guys like "Tito" and Cotto helped Wilfred out. But Wilfredo made his own money back in the day. He apparently didn't handle it wisely (a sad habit with most fighters). It's a tough call. Are the more financially successful fighters supposed to help out every boxer that didn't do the right thing with their earnings? Where do you draw the line? Whatever the case, I think it's a little harsh to say that Miguel and Felix should be ashamed.

Comment

He looks like he has deteriorated quite a lot in the last few years. It must be tough as a youg fighter to meet a legend in such a state. It reminds you something bad can happen to anybody who gets in that ring, particualrly when you fight too long passed your best.

TAKE SOME NOTES ROY !

Comment

Originally posted by PunchesNbuncheS View Post
        Im mexican and it really saddens me to see Benitez in that shape. I wish that life had treated him better after he retired. He was one of thee most gifted fighters i have ever seen at avoiding punches and his reflexes were out of this world. He beat the great Roberto Duran fair and square and for a while he also gave the great Ray Leonard a good fight. Seeing how he dodged bomb after bomb while on the ropes against Hearns was just amazing. Sure, he lost some fights but that was to ATG's and he, just based on pure skill alone, is also an ATG in my book. In my opinion hes the best puerto rican fighter ive ever seen just based on ability not titles or multiple division champs because to me him beating Duran and giving Leonard fits speaks volumes of how great he was. It is really really sad for me to see him like this. If I was a rich millionaire boxer I swear i would give him 1 million bucks so he could get some medical help if he needs any or buy himself a big house, a nice car or whatever the hell he wants, just so he could live comfortably for the rest of his days. This is boricua boxing royalty and he shouldnt be in the condition hes in. I wish Tito and Cotto and the rest of the wealthy boxers would all pitch in just to take care of this guy.

Stand up "El Radar" you were one of the great ones!
        Great post bro, props to you Sir.

This is a tough game man.

It's funny, back in the old days, look at the average lifetime of a fighter, traditionally, fighters do not grow old gracefully and live to a nice ripe old age.

Now do you understand how I feel when some whiney punk logs onto this site and starts calling a particular fighter a "coward"? just coz the fight he wanted did not get made.

Comment

Originally posted by LeadUppercut View Post
          Great post bro, props to you Sir.

This is a tough game man.

It's funny, back in the old days, look at the average lifetime of a fighter, traditionally, fighters do not grow old gracefully and live to a nice ripe old age.

Now do you understand how I feel when some whiney punk logs onto this site and starts calling a particular fighter a "coward"? just coz the fight he wanted did not get made.
          The mentality that aggravates me the most...along with comments like "the fight was stopped too soon," "he should've fought 'til his last breath," etc. A fine way to spend the rest of your days, as a physical and mental mess, for the entertainment of some "fans". I just hope Benitez is better off than he looks.

Comment

this is a very brutal sport. his state of being is one of the reasons any fighter should ever cheat.his sitation happend from the longevity of his career. but fighters will be in worse shape if other continue to cheat.

Comment

Had the pleasure of shaking this mans hand in New York City back in 1977. One of the islands greatist ! Not only extremely talented but approachable as well as humble outside of the ring. Great to see the up and comers giving this man props. Now if they all did it would be a true blessing !!!

Comment

One of the greatest fighters ever this was a true warrior youngest champ beating grown men fought the best of his era

Comment

Originally posted by PRBOXINGCOTTO View Post
                  One of the greatest fighters ever this was a true warrior youngest champ beating grown men fought the best of his era
                  are those boxers holly **** hey look like straight up ***ets.dam no wonder they get **** by mexican machos

Comment

Mad respect to one of the greatest fighters of all time.
                    Great to see the young generation taking time to honor him.

Comment

Yes

Fighter are entertainers and should not be forgotten when they are not winning . help through the Retired boxers Foundation, Benitez is the reason I got envolved....a true class act.

Comment

Working...
                      X