No announcement yet.

Jean Pascal and his stamina issues

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Toney616 View Post
    What does that mean in terms of stamina?

True. I also remember him fading against Froch. Back then people thought it was due to the struggle of him making weight, but now I'm not so sure
    I agree. He looks to be a very very athletic guy, but he has alot of muscle for a lhw and the more muscle you have the quikcer it freezes up in a fight. As others have listed he seems to load up with every single punch he throws and if you miss a few then from first hand experience it is very exhausting. I wonder if he is tense when fighting? He looks awesome for the first 5 rounds or so but then fades pretty quick. I like watching him fight though, always in exiting fights for sure.

Comment

For me the main problem is his muscular frame, he's way to bulky for his size and especially for boxing. Do you know why Heavyweights don't go throwing a lot of hard punches all night long? Well because they're just to heavy and muscular. They need to be extremely careful in terms of regulating their energy, that's why most of the times you don't see fights with lots of combinations in HW, their body just doesn't allow them to do it, they would completely gas out.

In Jean Pascal case, he's 5'10'' and 175 pounds on weight night, so he actually is over 180 pounds during fight night. He's not too tall but when you see him you see that he's too muscular, like he was training to be a body builder or something like that.
      In boxer's case, they work out to get the maximum strenght and resistance they can get with the LESS possible muscle mass.
      About the fiber types, I'm actually not so sure that's his problem. Type 2 fast twitch fibers would be very explosive and fast, he'll be only able to use them for a very short period of time, so I don't think he's actually using them all of the time. Most of the times when you have too much Fast Twitch fibers in your body you are actually pretty fast, Pascal is just not that fast.
      Also let's remember that Pascal as a boxer should train using mainly bodyweight exercises and should be doing regular running and rope jumping. That training is mainly used to develop endurance, which actually means slow twitch fibers, so even if his body has more % of fast twitch fiber than slow twitch, he should be able to mantain his rythm a little longer before getting too tired.

The other main problem with Pascal and I believe the most important, he just has a bad strategy. Instead of throwing extremely hard combinations every 30 seconds, he should be using regularly his jab and then using 1-2 or 1-1-2 to hit his opponent. That way he should have a better boxer economy instead of throwing away all his energy in the first rounds when the other boxer is not tired yet and is able to move away from his punches.

Comment

Working...
      X