• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Three reasons Pacquiao-Marquez III is the wrong fight for Pacquiao

Three reasons Pacquiao-Marquez III is the wrong fight for Pacquiao

By Jake Emen

http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news;_yl...ug=ycn-8496819

All signs are pointing to Manny Pacquiao facing Juan Manuel Marquez this fall in a rubber match. At the time of this writing, Marquez has accepted a formal offer from Top Rank. However, the fight is still not a done deal, because Golden Boy could interfere and present a matching offer to Marquez for another fight.

After giving Pacquiao all he could handle and then some over two previous encounters, Marquez is typically cited as one of the top opponents for Pacquiao. That's still true to an extent, although making the match now seems to leave something to be desired. Here are the top 3 reasons why Pacquiao vs. Marquez III is the wrong fight for Pacquiao at this stage in his career.

1. Following Floyd: Marquez would be Pacquiao's fourth opponent out of seven that Mayweather previously defeated within the past two or three fights. Mayweather defeated Oscar De La Hoya, stopped Ricky Hatton, and outclassed Shane Mosley before Pacquiao had his turn with each shortly thereafter. It's not a good trend.

Don't bother arguing that Mayweather followed Pacquiao by facing Marquez to begin with, either. Most objective analysts agree that Marquez defeated Pacquiao in their second meeting, not the other way around.

2. Pacquiao is a Real Welterweight: There's no denying it anymore, Pacquiao is a full-fledged welterweight, not a smaller fighter venturing up for a fight or two before moving back down. The only time we've seen Marquez above 135 lbs he was thrashed by Mayweather, and looked to be out of his element, both slow and small.

Marquez may have Pacquiao's number, but the number that matters for Pacquiao-Marquez III is 144, as in the proposed catchweight for the bout. It's just too much weight for Marquez, while Pacquiao has flourished and improved since his super featherweight and lightweight days a few years ago.

3. Time is Ticking: The time is ticking on Pacquiao's career as a boxer. With his blooming political career and a number of other diversions, Pacquiao likely only has a few fights left before he hangs up the gloves for good. The window when making Pacquiao-Marquez III was a fantastic fight has passed, and Pacquiao needs to face more significant opposition before his days in the squared circle are over.

Pacquiao vs. Marquez III isn't a bad fight—it has a degree of meaning and intrigue, and Marquez has been clamoring for this opportunity since their second fight concluded, which are all good things.

If you want a bad fight, his last three against Mosley, Antonio Margarito and Joshua Clottey all qualify. That's part of the problem, the string of less than stellar opponents for Pacquiao has been getting long in the past few years.

There might only be a few better choices for opponents in the world, but now's the time to see Pacquiao face one of those guys, as opposed to wasting another six months of his career on a fight whose outcome is entirely predictable the very second that the fight is signed and sealed.

Five reasons Mayweather vs. Ortiz is great for Mayweather

from the same writer regarding Mayweather:

Since Victor Ortiz defeated Andre Berto in a classic all-action brawl in April, with Floyd Mayweather sitting ringside in attendance, rumors have been swirling that Mayweather vs. Ortiz is the next big fight on the horizon and will be Mayweather's return to the ring.

Mayweather's camp was quick to put the kibosh on those whispers, but in boxing, where there's smoke there's usually fire, so this match may still be getting put together under the table. It's a sensational fight to make for both fighters, but from Mayweather's perspective especially, a match against Ortiz would be a logical and exciting choice.

Take a look at these 5 reasons why Mayweather vs. Ortiz is a great choice for Mayweather.

1. Ortiz's Style: "Vicious" Victor Ortiz is an aggressive southpaw packing explosive power in his fists. Sound familiar, like a certain pound for pound champion, anyone? Pacquiao of course is worlds speedier and brings a more complete game to the table, but Ortiz is bigger and stronger. What better prep work for Mayweather than facing a dangerous, powerful lefty prior to finally putting together a Pacquiao fight.

2. Exciting Fight: Mayweather vs. Ortiz has excitement written all over it. Mayweather is at his best when aggressive opponents come into his wheelhouse, opening up countering opportunities and forcing him to stay busy, and he's also at his most exciting in these scenarios. When opponents like Diego Corrales, Ricky Hatton, Arturo Gatti and Jesus Chavez came forward to attack, Mayweather lit them all up and earned stoppage wins on each occasion.

3. Championship Credentials: That WBC title around Ortiz's waist used to belong to Mayweather until it was vacated and picked up by Berto. A fight against Ortiz offers Mayweather a chance to get his favored green belt back, and add another title-winning effort to his resume.

4. One-Upping Pacquiao: Beating Ortiz offers Mayweather a chance to do what he wants to do more than anything else, one-up Pacquiao. Pacquiao taking on a badly faded Shane Mosley, who lost to Mayweather the year before, would seem all the more wasteful, as would a third match with Juan Manuel Marquez, if Mayweather was to step up to the plate and handle Ortiz.

5. Hushing the Critics: Critics love accusing Mayweather of ducking Pacquiao and other dangerous opponents. The facts largely don't match up to these accusations, but still, fighting Ortiz is the perfect opportunity for Mayweather to hush those critics up. Vicious Victor is a young, hungry, power-punching, aggressive champion that is bigger than he is, is in his prime, and is at the top of his division. Try finding fault with that one.

Comment

If I had a razor, I would slit my main artery right now.

Comment

what did Pac rehydrate to on the day of the fight with Mosley? And what did Marquez rehydrate to on his last fight?

i think that will give us better clarity....i like this fight though!

Comment

I love reading these non-biased articles....Smfh

Why didn't the writer bring up how lackluster Ortiz has looked prior to him beating Berto? Also his loss to Maidana, which way was worse, was around the same time Marquez loss to Floyd. The difference, however, is Marquez has looked spectacular while Ortiz has looked like garbage. His win over Berto is a smoke screen, because I still feel Ortiz isn't fully back yet (and this is from someone who wants to see Victor succeed).

Comment

Originally posted by -Top Rank- View Post
            I love reading these non-biased articles....Smfh

Why didn't the writer bring up how lackluster Ortiz has looked prior to him beating Berto? Also his loss to Maidana, which way was worse, was around the same time Marquez loss to Floyd. The difference, however, is Marquez has looked spectacular while Ortiz has looked like garbage. His win over Berto is a smoke screen, because I still feel Ortiz isn't fully back yet (and this is from someone who wants to see Victor succeed).

is the distant past more relevant than recent history?? You ever stop sucking dick?? Everyone with any boxing acumen knows JMM would get smoiked by both Berto and Ortiz at a CW of 144 (essentially a WW match).

Marquez got dropped badly by Katsidis and is 38 years old.......seriously.....

The most viable fight for Manny at WW before he fought Shane was Berto, now it's Ortiz by virtue of him beating Berto......

get you mouth off Manny's **** for a few seconds and come up for some air and you may actually realise this.

Comment

I can see if it was a fighthype article. But it's not. Not everybody have to agree on things.

Ortiz win over berto was better then jmm kats. Lets keep a 100 Ortiz wasn't suppose to win that fight. He toke it from berto.

Comment

Originally posted by Ko King 212 View Post
                I can see if it was a fighthype article. But it's not. Not everybody have to agree on things.

Ortiz win over berto was better then jmm kats. Lets keep a 100 Ortiz wasn't suppose to win that fight. He toke it from berto.

The bottom line is that either one of Berto and Ortiz would be a better fight at 147 and would be more competitive than JMM right now at 144........anyone who disputes that is a TOOL!!!!

Manny is going to kill JMM, probably in under 6 rds.....

Comment

The thing about that article is it is entirely correct.There is no way that Floyd can be criticized for fighting Marquez at welterweight only to have Pacman turn right around & do the same ****.No matter how many Passes Pacman has gotten for his clear,clear cherrypickin.It is getting long in the tooth.

Floyd-Ortiz absolutely bosses on Pacman-Margarito & Mosley.The thing that pisses me off is that I was a huge fan of Pacman & I've never been a fan of Floyd.But people have constantly continued to criticize Floyd while adoring Pacman,when he's doing the same ****.It's not fair to Floyd,or boxing.Because it's the fans that pay the money to watch them fight.Clottey,Margarito & a half dead Mosley were not worthy of ppv.

Comment

Originally posted by check hook View Post
                    The bottom line is that either one of Berto and Ortiz would be a better fight at 147 and would be more competitive than JMM right now at 144........anyone who disputes that is a TOOL!!!!

Manny is going to kill JMM, probably in under 6 rds.....
                    I agree, the only reason why this fight sucks is because the weight class, we know damn well that Marquez is slow at 144-147 range, he needs to be as comfortable as he can be against Pacquiao.

At the weight class Mayweather was hitting him with some hard solid shots, imagine what would happen if someone with a high KO ratio hits you that many times, such as a Manny or Mosley, so yea, he's gonna be done in less than 6 rounds.

Comment

Working...
                    X