Biggest waste of talent?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biggest waste of talent?

my nomination? Joan Guzman

Edwin Valero no need to beat family and kill wife i win.

Comment

Riddick Bowe

Comment

You know who is coming.

When you think of Ali being stripped of his title and his 3 best years...

While others, in their prime, and of their own volition, "go on vacation", "retire" or whatever they want to publicly call it because of...well you know.

Comment

valero deserved what he got, nothing

riddick bowe? he could have been the best of all time. he didnt have a weakness except mental strength

ali? debatable

Comment

All good suggestions, I believe.

A couple that come to mind might be Roy Jones and Naseem Hamed. I know that both accomplished quite a bit, I think they rested on their stats a bit.

Hamed simply never came back and didn't do enough after his first loss. Considering his power, he was always going to be in fights. I don't see why he didn't make the effort at the very least. Didn't train properly and hone his craft near the end.

Jones had all the tools. He just didn't fight all the fighters he could have. Calzaghe in his prime. Darius. Ottke. (God, I wish he knocked him out.)

Nonetheless, they both did so much. So, I'll give some other suggestions. They certainly aren't the biggest.

Ike Ibeabuchi. Whether or not he tried to rape that woman, he did have his talents waste away. Byrd and Tua both had a chance to get something done AFTER he beat them. Quality fighter.

Darren Sutherland comes to mind, as well. I liked that kid a lot. He had a professional style and he still did well in the amateurs. The only guy that even DeGale spoke about in a humble manner.

Salvador Sanchez was talent wasted, even though it was an accident. Still, he was great while he lasted.

Fernando Vargas, in a sense. With all that he did, he might have been able to do so much more if he had paced himself and let himself mature. Cutting out the Burger King trips might have helped.

Laszlo Papp and Teófilo Stevenson also might have been wasted talents. Stevenson for never turning professional and Papp had his career prematurely ended by a then-communist Hungary.

All I got for now.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew BackAtacha View Post
              my nomination? Joan Guzman
              I say Joe Calzaghe, He wasted most of his career fighting bums for peanuts in wales when it was obvious he was a world beater long before he faced Lacy.

Comment

Originally posted by MARKBNLV View Post
                Very good pick, he was a beast. Who knows what might have been if the wheels had not fallen off.

Comment

Originally posted by physiker View Post
                  You know who is coming.

When you think of Ali being stripped of his title and his 3 best years...

While others, in their prime, and of their own volition, "go on vacation", "retire" or whatever they want to publicly call it because of...well you know.
                  maybe ali wanted to be stripped so he could duck frazier. ali was probably hoping someone would beat frazier so he could come back and beat that guy and claim supremacy through triangle warfare but it never happened so he had to face the music and got clobbered.

Comment

Originally posted by MARKBNLV View Post
                    Good choice.

Comment

Working...
                    X