Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Ali's fight with Terrell tell us how he'd handle the Klitschkos?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by physiker View Post
    No problema.

And I love that Guantanamera song and lyrics. I only know it as sung here in the USA. Is it different in Cuba? I have not heard a Cuban version if it is different.
    There are so many different versions of that song that one might sound completely different from another. Most versions use certain verses in the poem, others use lesser quoted verses. I guess I prefer the "standard version"; what you've probably heard.

Comment

Originally posted by hweightblogger View Post
      I never saw "robotism" on scorecards. Only AliFans think than being non-robotic (= "dancing") is a virtue. At heavyweight winning and KOing is a virtue, not Irish dancing (The Clay had Irish ancestors).

And you got it wrong anyway: Wladimir Klitschko LOVES dancing opponents. The biggest problems he had was against Tony Thompson and Sam Peter and Corrie Sanders who are everything BUT dancers.

And hey, Ross Puritty didn't swing his leg either. It's utterly BIZARRE to claim that the Klitschkos don't like movers.

Cassius "The greatest" Clay is like made for Wlad: Zero reflexes and 50% of the time mid-air or leaning against the ropes.
      It just amazes me how horrible of a poster you are. Not because you pick the Klitschko's to beat Ali, its mainly the lies and the fact that you don't know anything about Ali in his prime, yet and still you pretend to do so. Ali had no reflexes? Ali in his prime leaned on the ropes a lot? What are you talking about? Ali in his hay day spent most of his time dancing, slipping, jabbing in the middle of the ring. It wasn't until post exile did he start to lean on the ropes, mainly due to him not having the legs to be as mobile as he was in his younger days. What's impressive is that he beat the hardest heavyweight hitters in the history of the sport while doing that. And his reflexes? Just look at him against Cleveland Williams and tell me if you still believe that.

Comment

Originally posted by hweightblogger View Post
        Cuba was part of the Soviet Bloc.

No they didn't have the chance. It's not by accident that approx. 10 years after the fall of the Soviet Union ex-Soviets steamrolled over the division and rule ever since.
        I've read varying definitions of what constituted "Soviet bloc". I always regarded Cuba as a communist ally of the USSR, and a beneficiary of its subsidies, while certain Eastern European nations formed the "Soviet bloc". Neither of us is wrong or right in this regard; it's splitting off-topic hairs.

The free nations most certainly have had a chance at the heavyweight championship of the world. What was Chuvalo, or Bonavena, for example?

It's no surprise that the former Soviet states have made their presence known in boxing. There's a large population of hungry fighters. Of course they'll compete.
        Last edited by CubanGuyNYC; 04-28-2011, 04:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by slicksouthpaw16 View Post
          It just amazes me how horrible of a poster you are. Not because you pick the Klitschko's to beat Ali, its mainly the lies
          Where did I lie?

and the fact that you don't know anything about Ali in his prime, yet and still you pretend to do so.
          Aaah, accusation #1 "You don't know anything about Ali/Boxing". Welcome to the "Typical ClayFan Club".

Hey, I saw Ali's fights. He's a boring stink'n'run boxer ("Dirty Clay"). I am utterly unimpressed.

Ali had no reflexes? Ali in his prime leaned on the ropes a lot?
          Ali in his prime (1960s) was a cruiser (median weight 199 lbs) KOing cruisers (median KOvictim 196 lbs). He wouldn't be allowed to box against the Klitschkos. And it would be suicide if he did anyway.

What are you talking about? Ali in his hay day spent most of his time dancing, slipping, jabbing in the middle of the ring.
          Yes, he did. In fact the dancing (= being as far away as possible) is a SUBSTITUTE for lack of reflexes.

It wasn't until post exile did he start to lean on the ropes, mainly due to him not having the legs to be as mobile as he was in his younger days.
          This is true. Cassius Cruiser was far more mobile than Ali Whaley.
          And he had to be. Because at such a low weight you are more susceptible to punches (as is shown by the fact that Clay was viciously knocked down by a 185 lbs featherfist).

Just look at him against Cleveland Williams and tell me if you still believe that.
          You are the second guy here who mentions Williams.
          Cleveland is a top boxer BUT NOT when gun-shot and limping and having 10 feet of intestines removed and having an atrophied leg. Wipe the win and performance against Williams off Ali's record. It's was and is a disgrace. Would be forbidden nowadays to put such a cripple into the ring.
          Last edited by hweightblogger; 04-28-2011, 04:59 PM.

Comment

hay size if size was everything then look at little chris byrd who made vitali quit like a b*tch. If the klitschko's were so great how come they emerged when there was decent competition around. and btw do u guys realise that back in the day they use to go 15 rounds instead of 12, does anyone actually realise just how much harder that is.

Comment

and also ali beating up a gunshot victim, hah same could be said about vitali who beat briggs, a long time sufferer of asthma, beat up people suffering from obesity - arreola, and lets not forget how he stopped by a 40 year old grandpa who should have been getting his testes checked instead of being in the ring.

Comment

Working...
              X