Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Sergio Martinez guilty of picking on fighters smaller than him?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The_Golden_Goy View Post
    Now before the martinez brigade kick off, i am a fan or sergio. but the arguement that he should be fighting pacquiao is just ludicrous. Why is he looking down at a 147lber when he could look 8lbs north and take on someone larger in a another weight division? He cant expect Mayweather or Pacman to come up and meet him at 160, or even 154lb in Pacmans case. Why doesnt he wait for the semi finals of the super six to end and go for the losers? its two faced to complain pacquiao and mayweather wont fight him when theres 13lbs difference, but if he was to go up 13lbs himself and fight Dawson or Pascal at LHW or the very least go to SMW, he'd most likely get his arse handed to him on a plate. Its not like theres not much money in these fights, a Martinez v Bute or Martinez v Kessler even would be bankable exciting fights.

Martinez should be looking upwards, not down.

Discuss
    Dzinzurik, Pavlik, Williams all bigger than him, Martinez wants money the biggest names are smaller but he's 35 and needs a legacy defining fight.

Comment

I swear this board gets stupider by the day. Seriously.

Comment

Well, it makes sense for Martinez to pursue a fight with the cash cows and p4p best fighters in the world. As said before he's challenging them to fight at 154, where both have fought before and won titles. I don't see the problem here.

Comment

There is no problem with Martinez wanting to fight either Pac or Floyd at 154. The problem is the fanboys of either fighter claiming their guy is too small even though said guy held a title in that division. People will make up any excuse to protect a fighter they like. I didn't hear an outcry when Floyd fought Oscar for a 154 title, neither did I hear one when Pac fought Margs for a 154 title at a 150lb catchweight. But now all of a sudden when there is a threat looming these guys are too small? SMH

Comment

he is now, but it's not his fault
            he beat the 2 guys that mattered at 160
            no more opponents there for him really
            he might as well go back to 154
            Ring won't strip him of their belt at 160

Comment

Originally posted by _original_ View Post
              Well, it makes sense for Martinez to pursue a fight with the cash cows and p4p best fighters in the world. As said before he's challenging them to fight at 154, where both have fought before and won titles. I don't see the problem here.
              Sergio is an exciting fighter but trying to land a Pacquiao and Mayweather fight is ridiculous. I understand he's looking for some big money fights but there is plenty of big names at SMW. It's his own damn fault for keeping the MW belts. He was better off staying at SWW and making those guys look bad.

Comment

Finally someone noticed. Pavlik was an exception the rest were smaller (in weight). Being tall does not necessarily means your big. The word should be skinner or from a smaller/lower division then that statement would be correct

Comment

Kudos to every single poster who destroyed this mindless thread, we had enough of boxers picking and choosing easy fights/styles that suit them while proclaiming to be the best, Martinez is the sort of fight that is deem acceptable if PAC and Mayweather aren't facing each other, no one is asking these fighters to fight Martinez at 160 but at 154 and fans should want the fight there too.

Comment

LOL

Comment

martinez @ challenging dudes at 154 and 147 = i would like to be the best and fight the best... i would love to fight cotto, mayweather and pacquiao...

martinez @ challenging any dude at 168 = i will be needing sometime to add more muscles, the plan to move to higher weight class will take a while...

LOL!... don't fool yourselves sergiosexuals...

Comment

Working...
                      X