No announcement yet.

Floyd Mayweather has never beaten an elite fighter in his prime

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DWiens421 View Post
    God, egotistical promoters and fighters arguing really is the biggest collection of ****headery that can be found on the planet.

Good stuff Arum and Floyd... it really would have sucked had that fight happened.

Castillo had four losses coming in to eh competition. He couldn't stop his eyes from gushing blood and losing on TKOs due to cuts. One of the fighters he lost to, Julio Alvarez got blown away by Stevie Johnston in two rounds. Jauregui had beaten him twice without any other significant wins, five losses coming in, and a follow up act of losing to a green Jesus Chavez. And Cesar Soto who took a unanimous decision loss RIGHT DOWN THE PIPE to Duke McKenzie two weight divisions down in a bantamweight title fight needed less than two years to get a fight with Castillo, and take his face... off in two rounds.

Obviously you can't ever count anyone out due to their previous fights, but... all of that probably seemed quite foreboding for his chances, especially considering his only big(ish) wins coming into the Johnston fight were an ancient Jorge Paez and Steve Quinonez, who I think I may have heard referred to as a prospect... like once.
    Just checked Boxrec, surprised he actually fought at those weight classes, insane considering his size. Thanks for the info though.

Funny how this turned out to be a good thread

Comment

Originally posted by DWiens421 View Post
      God, egotistical promoters and fighters arguing really is the biggest collection of ****headery that can be found on the planet.

Good stuff Arum and Floyd... it really would have sucked had that fight happened.

best post in a long time around here.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Liquor View Post
        Ok, now I'm going to have to go home and watch both of those again tonite.
        You keep preaching this, so I want to see where you're coming from.

On a side note, Spaddy or Casa would have been excellent fights for Floyd back then. He would have probably Gatti'd Frietas, too, but you never know.
        Spadafora's inside game/ body punching/ defense > Johnston's and Casamayor's. That's not to say he's better than either of them

Comment

Originally posted by Dominicano Soy! View Post
          Spadafora's inside game/ body punching/ defense > Johnston's and Casamayor's. That's not to say he's better than either of them
          I agree there, and he was huge at 135, but we're talking about him vs Castillo. I don't see Spaddy holding up, but Imma investigate your claims tonite!

The other guys, I was talking about vs Floyd (Casa, Spaddy, Freitas)- really, he should have at least fought Spaddy the way Spaddy was calling him out publicly. Another annoying thing about Floyd- he says he fights guy who call him out. Spaddy was calling dude out everywhere.

Comment

I agree there, and he was huge at 135, but we're talking about him vs Castillo. I don't see Spaddy holding up, but Imma investigate your claims tonite!

The other guys, I was talking about vs Floyd (Casa, Spaddy, Freitas)- really, he should have at least fought Spaddy the way Spaddy was calling him out publicly. Another annoying thing about Floyd- he says he fights guy who call him out. Spaddy was calling dude out everywhere.

Just that Castillo doesn't look like the same animal against southpaws. In the bold, same here man, wish Floyd would have fought Spadafora and Casamayor, Freitas not so much... he's a quitter.

Comment

Maybe your right, but neither Klit has beaten an elite fighter prime or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Dominicano Soy! View Post
                Just that Castillo doesn't look like the same animal against southpaws. In the bold, same here man, wish Floyd would have fought Spadafora and Casamayor, Freitas not so much... he's a quitter.
                Man LW was HOT back then. Now we have soto, who won't fight anyone, EVER. And JMM who's just part time. If we could throw Rios into LW in the early 2000's.......

Comment

when he was dominating back in the 90s early 2000s nobody wanted to give him a fight! thats why

Comment

Man LW was HOT back then. Now we have soto, who won't fight anyone, EVER. And JMM who's just part time. If we could throw Rios into LW in the early 2000's.......
                    True, I'm still hopeful though. Linares is extremely talented, Vazquez is building up a pretty good resume at LW, seems willing to take on the best. Soto's pissin' me off though. not gonna lie, and he's a tough dude too, but the way he ignored Peterson and now Rios, really don't know what to think of the guy.

Vazquez, Soto, Rios, Marquez and Linares, I want to see match ups that involve these 5, Marquez might move up though, don't blame him, but I really wish he'd stay

Pacquiao will fuck him up right now...

Comment

George Chavalo was only stopped twice in his career by Joe Frazier and George Foreman. They are probaly the top ten fearsome puncher in heavyweight history and they couldn't even drop him. To say Ali had no power is not a fair assessment. Look at who he has hurt, knocked down or knocked out. Then make a fair assessment. Of course he was no world beater but he was at that time a big man with some pop.

Comment

Working...
                      X