No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Ivan Calderon: I Won't Retire, I'm Going To Fight On

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DJ_WooDoX View Post
    Kudos to Calderon for taking on a man he knew he couldn't beat or overcome his size.
    No kudos to Calderon from me if you are indeed right. If Calderon knew he couldn't beat Segura and just fought for the sake of rematching and making a lot of money, then he cheated the paying public. I didn't pay the $40 DirecTv wanted to view the fight, but if I did, and then found out what you said to be 'true', I would be extremely pissed off. I mean, if he tried his hardest to win and lost, that is one thing. But he sure seemed to fold quickly and didn't get dropped, he took a knee and virtually quit (and the first time, he fought hard and admirally but also took a knee after absorbing more punishment)...

If Calderon wants to fight again, it's his choice. If I were him though, I wouldn't expect to be welcomed back with open arms from everyone...

Comment

I dont think Calderon realized he was in Mexico and the people where there to see Segura not Calderon.I didn't think Segura hit him that hard ,I guess I was wrong.

Comment

If they were both the same size Calderon would win a UD.
        I hear what you're saying but it's incorrect. It's not the size. It's Segura's combination of Power and Relentlessness that Ivan can't handle. Plus I'm not a big fan of these "IF" arguements. Of course IF you take away a fighters advantages/physical capabilities it's a whole different fight.

Kudos to Calderon for taking on a man he knew he couldn't beat or overcome his size.
        No way Calderon was thinking he couldn't win. HOFers don't think that way. Even after the first fight, Ivan felt he would be able to come out ahead in a rematch.

But definitely props to him for taking on a strong MF in his opponent's home turf.

Comment

If he wants to keep on fighting then he should fight chocolatito next. he has a belt and would fight calderon wherever. this of course if segura doesnt fight him first. regardless they are fights to be made if he wants to keep on fighting.

Comment

Whats the point? We kno now, he is just a bum beater like his idol, Ricardo Finito lopez LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Billionz Rican View Post
              Whats the point? We kno now, he is just a bum beater like his idol, Ricardo Finito lopez LOL
              whats the point? bitter rican turns on his fighter because he lost smh. He can still dominate that division, why should he retire just because he lost to 1 fighter?
              Last edited by $coinblatt$; 04-03-2011, 09:50 PM.

Comment

I agree with Suavesito. He should stay and fight Baas, Lazarte, or even Chocolatito. People like to see fighters who move up or fight top dogs in their division. Nobody likes to see fighters who move down a division.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiTown2Diego View Post
                  I hear what you're saying but it's incorrect. It's not the size. It's Segura's combination of Power and Relentlessness that Ivan can't handle. Plus I'm not a big fan of these "IF" arguements. Of course IF you take away a fighters advantages/physical capabilities it's a whole different fight.

No way Calderon was thinking he couldn't win. HOFers don't think that way. Even after the first fight, Ivan felt he would be able to come out ahead in a rematch.

But definitely props to him for taking on a strong MF in his opponent's home turf.
                  I do believe I'm correct. Of course Calderon couldn't handle his power or relentless combinations because segura was just too big. Like I said if they were the same size calderon would have been able to handle the power and combos by keeping him it bay and keeping segura off him. Segura was just walking through his jab and other punches. There was nothing calderon could have done to keep him off him because segura was just too big and too naturally stronger than Calderon. This Is a basic case of size and naturally being stronger overcoming good boxing skills because at some point skills alone is not going to win u a fight when someone is just too big and strong and you can't keep them off of you or hurt them. I also believe that Calderon knew he couldn't overcome that but at the same time knew this is boxing and anything can happen. Thinking he could get lucky or segura didn't train right or whatever. You can still think your not gonna win but at the same time think that you can be lucky enough to pull it off and that anything can happen. Calderon was thinking I can't win but what if I did? He would have never known if he didn't take a rematch and then he would have been the one stuck with the phrase what if in his head.

Comment

I do believe I'm correct. Of course Calderon couldn't handle his power or relentless combinations because segura was just too big. Like I said if they were the same size calderon would have been able to handle the power and combos by keeping him it bay and keeping segura off him. Segura was just walking through his jab and other punches. There was nothing calderon could have done to keep him off him because segura was just too big and too naturally stronger than Calderon. This Is a basic case of size and naturally being stronger overcoming good boxing skills because at some point skills alone is not going to win u a fight when someone is just too big and strong and you can't keep them off of you or hurt them. I also believe that Calderon knew he couldn't overcome that but at the same time knew this is boxing and anything can happen. Thinking he could get lucky or segura didn't train right or whatever. You can still think your not gonna win but at the same time think that you can be lucky enough to pull it off and that anything can happen. Calderon was thinking I can't win but what if I did? He would have never known if he didn't take a rematch and then he would have been the one stuck with the phrase what if in his head.
                    IF mayweather would fight more
                    IF pacquiao would take the test
                    IF cottos trainers did their job against margarito
                    IF IF IF

U can't win these bro.

Comment

Originally posted by KingDelBoxeo View Post
                      IF mayweather would fight more
                      IF pacquiao would take the test
                      IF cottos trainers did their job against margarito
                      IF IF IF

U can't win these bro.
                      Fair enough but thats what I believe. Calderon is the technically better fighter and more skillful. Calderon is probably the best in his weight class, it just so happens that a way bigger man can make the weight limit. 7-10lbs can make a huge difference in these lower weight classes. Add In the big height advantage and it's just too much to overcome. Calderon just can't keep segura off of him and it's not because of Seguras skills. Also Calderon having to punch that much upwards takes any type of sting off his punches. Add all those factors in and Calderon doesn't have a chance no matter what. Segura is just naturually too physically big for him not too naturally skillful.
                      Last edited by DJ OxXx; 04-03-2011, 11:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X