Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Marquez ducking Manny Pacquiao with this Goldenboy deal?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cupocity303 View Post
    This little news, and a few weeks later Marquez turns around and sayd this:

Article Link - http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&o...#ixzz1IPDTklbq

Juan Manuel Marquez Discusses His Golden Boy Meeting

Posted by: Jhonny Gonzalez on 3/31/2011 .

By Jhonny Gonzalez

WBA/WBO lightweight champion Juan Manuel Marquez has met with Golden Boy Promotions, who are working hard to prevent the Mexican champion from leaving their company in pursuit of a third meeting with Manny Pacquiao. The pound-for-pound Filipino is promoted by Golden Boy's rival, Top Rank. Marquez says Golden Boy made a very attractive financial offer to keep him with the company. He met with company president Oscar De La Hoya and CEO Richard Schaefer. The deal is said to be a lucractive four fight package.

"They made an offer and I will review it. The outlook is better. I think that both of us are working hard. They improved the offer and as I said - I do not want to leave the company - I only want to improve the conditions and it seems that this will improve them. I will really study the situation and undoubtedly will make the best decision for this important part of my career," Marquez told Sal Rodriguez.

Marquez said that among the fights that were offered include Robert 'The Ghost' Guerrero (who must win the April 9th bout with Michael Katsidis) and a fight with Zab Judah.

Take a offer for Robert Guerrero, Michael Katsidis anda shot Zab Judah fights over P4P King Manny Pacquiao?

Comment

Is this even a serious question? Heck no man! Marquez seems like he's just tired of chasing Pac now. Just cause Arum says that'll be the next fight doesn't make it so.

Comment

Originally posted by Rip Chudd View Post
        Is this even a serious question? Heck no man! Marquez seems like he's just tired of chasing Pac now. Just cause Arum says that'll be the next fight doesn't make it so.

Yeah but it's perfect timing isn't it.

Why not wait until Mosley-Pac is finished, try to negotiate with Arum and then make his choice. Resigning with Goldenboy virtually guarantees he isn't going to be next for Pac.

Comment

Why not wait until Mosley-Pac is finished, try to negotiate with Arum and then make his choice. Resigning with Goldenboy virtually guarantees he isn't going to be next for Pac.
          Because he doesn't want to wait more than a month on a maybe when he can have a sure thing now.

Comment

Don't forget that Marquez was once with Arum. He knows how Arum operates which may be the reason he's gonna re-sign with Goldenboy. He may see Arum saying that as him just playing lip service to the media. Who would know better then those that have worked with Arum. Marquez didn't start making that big money til he went with Goldenboy. He may see Arum doing what he did previously when Marquez was with Top Rank.

Comment

Originally posted by the gambler1981 View Post
              because he doesn't want to wait more than a month on a maybe when he can have a sure thing now.

ok...............

Comment

Originally posted by The Gambler1981 View Post
                Because he doesn't want to wait more than a month on a maybe when he can have a sure thing now.
                Exactly its not like there is a contract written already and its guaranteed. There is Mayweather,Berto,Cotto who are all in the runnings for a Pac fight. To think that Marquez a guy who has been begging for a fight with Pac for a long time now is ducking is just stupid.

Comment

Also you can't duck someone who's shown 0 interest in fighting you.

Comment

Originally posted by ny123 View Post
                    Exactly its not like there is a contract written already and its guaranteed. There is Mayweather,Berto,Cotto who are all in the runnings for a Pac fight. To think that Marquez a guy who has been begging for a fight with Pac for a long time now is ducking is just stupid.
                    Berto? The Blueprint is already layed out:
                    Speaking with Scoop Malinowski at *************.com, Arum said “After each fight we take a good look to see if Mayweather’s going to be available. If he is, that’s the fight we want. If he isn’t, we go to the next option. So probably the guy who would be next would be Marquez probably. [Andre] Berto isn’t doing anything for his reputation fighting junior welterweights. I mean, he’s going to beat [Victor] Ortiz but so what? And there’s nobody around that’s interesting like Marquez.”

If all Arum and Team Pac care is Event fights and he just said that there isn't anybody around that is more interesting than JMM, it says it all.

Cotto has been taken off the table pretty much, Margarito is all there is in his future.

Comment

Originally posted by Rip Chudd View Post
                      Also you can't duck someone who's shown 0 interest in fighting you.

Alright, that's just arguing semantics. Replace the word "Ducking" and use whatever word you like.

To me it's reminisce of the whole David Haye deal a few years ago. He goes and chases Wlad around in German shopping malls for a Title shot, then when the opportunity is right there, he starts backing off and making excuses.

Comment

Working...
                      X