Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: “Fighting Words” – Vitali Klitschko, Solis and an Epix Fail

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I tried a couple of times to get on Epix.com only to not be able to sign on, this about an hour before and 45 minutes before the fight. Then, with about 5 minutes before the start time, I was able to get on easily without having to sign up for a free trial. That would have sucked if I would have wasted my 'one' free trial on that fight since I would have cancelled immediately afterward. I imagine they will do another free trial for the next fight and I will give them another chance because even though they didn't have the server capability to handle all the traffic, they couldn't have known Solis would be a bust and that isn't their fault...

Comment

Agree this isn't telling the whole story. I could never watch it on EPIX, it just buffered forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Ravens Fan View Post
        Wow, interesting observation. And if his supposed pre-fight injury was so bad how was he bouncing around in his corner? And just curious can this injury happen to someones knee when 250 pounds fall on it? I am no doctor but I bet the answer is yes.
        I think the training he did to get down in weight put much more pressure on the knee than if he would have weighed 270 lbs. So, he puts in this hard work (or what be considered hard work for Solis) to get down in weight and by fight time, it was a matter of time before his knee gave out. I just can't believe he got paid $1.8 million for that fight and could conceivably retire comfortably now...

Comment

Originally posted by edgarg View Post
          A BIG question which David should have asked the Solis camp. "How did Solis go throgh months of training with an ailing knee. I believe it to be impossible, expecially since Solis had trained sufficiently hard to take off substantial weight.

Meniscus problems can generally be overcome by either "paring back" or /and certain exercise building up the adjacent knee muscles very successfully. but anterior cruciate ligament problems cannot be handled that way. They are far more serious and need an operation and many months of even years to become safe again. It was this very injury which caused Klitschko to retire for 4 years.
          I fully agree with this, I said to my friends who were watching the fight with me that it could be a career-ending injury. I have seen it in the past with ice hockey players, Pavel Bure's, Esa Tikkanen's etc. knees never fully recovered after being busted in a very same way.

Their knees were injury prone for the rest of their careers.
          Last edited by khepesh; 03-21-2011, 10:48 AM.

Comment

At least epix made a effort to telecast the fight even though it was a dud.

Comment

I appreciate Epix's efforts, and wish them the best of luck for future broadcasts. Nothing wrong with more networks (trying) to show boxing.

Comment

" How the NCAA tournament has been great for the sweet science, part two: Gus Johnson’s calling basketball instead of boxing…" Quote of the year.

Comment

Working...
                X