Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you really think Canelo might actually be 'great'?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He is already good, but he hasnt shown me anything that points to greatness. Old man Cotto had him rocked just from aggression. We will see. I hope he turns out to be great. The last white Mexican that was really talented brought the sport alot of attention and great fights.

Comment

Originally posted by Motofan View Post
      He is already good, but he hasnt shown me anything that points to greatness. Old man Cotto had him rocked just from aggression. We will see. I hope he turns out to be great. The last white Mexican that was really talented brought the sport alot of attention and great fights.
      who you talking about ?

Comment

Originally posted by Flo_Raiden View Post
        Do you think Canelo Alvarez has what it takes to become the next great fighter to come out of Mexico?
        Or do you think he might have a disaster waiting to happen ala Meldrick Taylor?
        no. thats the safe answer and what i believe anyways. few fighters become elite and thats what makes them great. they are the creme of the crop.

not even sure if he will even make it to be a top 20 guy in boxing.

it is to early to tell but i can confidently say no he will not be great because

he doesnt have anything in particular that sticks out that would indicate that he could grow into being a great fighter (speed, defense, power, etc.)

we will have to wait and see

Comment

He is only twenty years old so it's still hard to tell. I think it's wrong for people and the media to put all kinds of pressure on him saying he is Mexico's next great fighter. Usually, the great Mexican fighters are not spoon fed. So they might be doing him a disservice by hyping him up so much. We'll see, though.

Also, it seems Golden Boy doesn't really know how build their fighters effectively.Their match making doesn't really prepare the young fighters for the tougher fights. It seems to me that Golden Boy is losing against Top Rank and is starting to fade. Anyways, they shouldn't try to rush Canelo into big fights but I think that is exactly what will happen. But, you never know; look at Andre Berto. Paper Champions.

Comment

I think you get better by fighting better opponents, I have a feeling if Alvarez gets by Hatton he will be beat by the first top ten guy he faces. But he might learn more from that than he did from all the easy fights he had.

Comment

k first of all i put 800 on him last week so dont call me biased
              great ? NO he doesnt have the ability to be an elite fighter he just doesnt have any particular talent that stands out, lets take a look at the great fighters of the divisions hes fought

he doesnt have the speed of a mosley or pacquiao
              he doesnt have the boxing ability of a mayweather or martinez or dlh
              he doesnt have the offensive onslaught of guys like trinidad
              he doesnt have the toughness to be a "blood and guts" warrior like mayorga or margarito

he reminds me of berto on this he has a bit of everything but to be great you need to beat a great fighter and to beat a great fighter you need a natural outstanding ability to rely on like great handspeed or paralysing power
              now you can always beat great fighters by fighting them old or out of their weightclass which is what i suspect will be the course his career will take

yes he will improve but there is no much room for improvement

Comment

I think he will be more than just good. People giving him crap now but they will become fans soon.

Comment

Originally posted by TuRoK'em View Post
                  who you talking about ?
                  LOL I think he is referring to Mr.Oscar De La Hoya.

Comment

Lol.

No way, not even a Top 10 under his belt. It's ridiculous how hyped this kid is.

He'll follow the Chavez Jr route, protected as hell.

The champions at 147-160 beat him, easily. What does that tell you about how'd he become?

**** even Cintron will school this cat. It's ridiculous.

Comment

I'm really not impressed with Canelo. I know he's just 20 but he lacks too much of too many things to be great.

Comment

Working...
                      X