No announcement yet.

Arum calls Oscar one of the stupidest guys he's met

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arum calls Oscar one of the stupidest guys he's met

Bob Arum on Oscar De La Hoya: He’s ‘One of the Stupidest Guys I’ve Ever Met’
    By Larry Brown February 24, 2011 - Posted in Boxing

So Oscar De La Hoya exited the ring for a career in promotions and created Golden Boy which has taken off. The promotional company represents a high percentage of the best fighters in the world and they’re responsible for putting on some of the best events we watch.

Before Golden Boy existed, Bob Arum and Don King used to be the only real competition when it came to promoting top fighters. Now, De La Hoya’s gang seems to scoop them up. Given that background you know that anything rival promoter Bob Arum says about Golden Boy comes out of bitterness and anger. So take the following quote served up to the South Florida Sun-Sentinel lightly with a chuckle.

“[Golden Boy has] no background in boxing,” Arum told the paper. “They rely on Oscar, who’s a dummy. Oscar is one of the stupidest guys I’ve ever met. I’m just saying what it is. The guy is really not smart. Forget just ‘not smart.’ He’s not just even average.”

Like I said, it’s complete bitterness from Arum, but the smack was so strong we had to share. Keep in mind that Arum will say just about anything to make himself and his people look good.

We’ve already explained why these comments shouldn’t matter to you because of their rivalry, but I will point out that De La Hoya is pretty darn smart because he took advantage of a major hole in the marketplace — promoters boxers could trust. And I’d say that the hundreds of millions Oscar has taken home proves he has an excellent business sense.
    __________________________________________________ ________

man this rivalry is getting outta hand. and i think arum is taking entirely too far with comments like that. that goes beyond business imo. not too tactful imo.

link: http://network.yardbarker.com/boxing...er_met/4228942

Oscar's twitter acount dosen't make him look like Einstien ether.

I'm sure he's not that dumb.

he seems to have some basic businsess sense.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePhantom5 View Post
      Oscar's twitter acount dosen't make him look like Einstien ether.

I'm sure he's not that dumb.

he seems to have some basic businsess sense.
      no, he makes dumb comments dont get me wrong. but so does arum. the difference is arum doesnt do it on twitter. oscar isnt dumb, and even if he was, arum shouldnt be saying it in the media. thats basically declaring war on goldenboy and it just about assures that these two will be holding boxing in a cold war for the forseeable future, which really is a shame.

Comment

Stupidest huh?

Stupidest?

Pot. Kettle. Black.

Comment

oscar has never seemed that intelligent to me

Comment

Originally posted by Come∂ian View Post
            oscar has never seemed that intelligent to me
            he knows his business i would say. golden boy grew exponentially at the turn of the century. thats not luck and thats not stupidity.

Comment

He wasn't stupid enough to stay with Top Rank.

Comment

Originally posted by DempseyRollin View Post
                he knows his business i would say. golden boy grew exponentially at the turn of the century. thats not luck and thats not stupidity.
                True true. But im pretty sure Richard Schaefer had a whole lot to do with this aswell.

Comment

well he was smart enough to get away from Arum and build one of the dominant boxing promotional company like no other boxer has ever done. I don't see how that comment from Arum achieves anything.

Comment

Arum owned Dlh for how long????????????????????hmmmmmmmmm.Dlh is stupid he coasted in a fight he was dominating and lost a career making fight he ran like a biotch he won that5 fight but the last 3 rds he ran scared.

BoB Arum has digested stronger comp then dlh and his shot to sht fighter line up.

Comment

Working...
                    X