Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

why do people act like calzaghe ducked prime hopkins and jones??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pure ownage

Last Updated: Sunday, 29 June, 2003, 13:40 GMT 14:40 UK
    E-mail this to a friend Printable version
    US demands Hopkins-Calzaghe

Frank Warren and Joe Calzaghe want the Welshman to fight Bernard Hopkins in the States
    Calzaghe scores explosive win
    Joe Calzaghe's pulsating two-round win over Byron Mitchell has moved the Welshman several steps closer to his long-sought "superfight" with Bernard Hopkins.

The Mitchell bout headlined a Showtime event on US TV, and the dramatic action left the American money men promising to put up the cash to get Calzaghe in a career-defining clash.

"We have to get Joe to America and the right fight is Bernard Hopkins," said Showtime boxing chief Jay Larkin.

"Hopkins turned down a lot of money from us to fight Calzaghe last year, but after what Joe did to Mitchell we can up the ante and offer more."

Where next for Calzaghe?

The TV boss was impressed by the way Calzaghe climbed off the floor after being dropped for the first time in his life, saying he showed the instincts of a true champion.

Larkin is determined to push for the Hopkins fight, but acknowledges that the man known as 'The Executioner,' is not the easiest fighter to negotiate with.

I want a big fight in the States and Hopkins is who I'm looking for
    Joe Calzaghe

"With Bernard you never know, he comes to us from outer space sometimes," Larkin added.

Calzaghe's promoter Frank Warren backed Showtime's plan, saying that he would be speaking to Hopkins this week and that he felt the American was made for Calzaghe's style.

Larkin talked of staging the fight in Wales - at the Millennium Stadium or Ninian Park - but both Warren and Calzaghe seem ready to fight across the Atlantic.

Hopkins still Calzaghe's focus

"I want a big fight in the States and Hopkins is who I'm looking for," said Calzaghe.

"I'm just looking forward to bashing somebody else up - and I don't want to wait another six months for that to happen."

Bernard 'the Executioner' Hopkins
    Hopkins recently blew the chance of a fight with James Toney
    Hopkins turned down an offer of £3m to face Calzaghe last year, and since his last significant fight - against Felix Trinidad in 2001 - his financial demands have blown lucrative bouts with Roy Jones Jr and James Toney.

That has left Hopkins with few options, but Calzaghe's need for the fight is equally desperate - Hopkins is the only true superstar competing near his weight division.

A proposed unification fight for Calzaghe with Sven Ottke would not appeal to the US audience, although that could happen a little further down the line after the German meets the winner of Anthony Mundine-Antwun Echols.

Comment

Some people say that Calzaghe’s shyness is what has held him back; that and his fear of flying, which is one of the reasons for his reluctance to test himself in the US.

Comment

Originally posted by LarryX2011 View Post
        pure ownage

Last Updated: Sunday, 29 June, 2003, 13:40 GMT 14:40 UK
        E-mail this to a friend Printable version
        US demands Hopkins-Calzaghe

Frank Warren and Joe Calzaghe want the Welshman to fight Bernard Hopkins in the States
        Calzaghe scores explosive win
        Joe Calzaghe's pulsating two-round win over Byron Mitchell has moved the Welshman several steps closer to his long-sought "superfight" with Bernard Hopkins.

The Mitchell bout headlined a Showtime event on US TV, and the dramatic action left the American money men promising to put up the cash to get Calzaghe in a career-defining clash.

"We have to get Joe to America and the right fight is Bernard Hopkins," said Showtime boxing chief Jay Larkin.

"Hopkins turned down a lot of money from us to fight Calzaghe last year, but after what Joe did to Mitchell we can up the ante and offer more."

Where next for Calzaghe?

The TV boss was impressed by the way Calzaghe climbed off the floor after being dropped for the first time in his life, saying he showed the instincts of a true champion.

Larkin is determined to push for the Hopkins fight, but acknowledges that the man known as 'The Executioner,' is not the easiest fighter to negotiate with.

I want a big fight in the States and Hopkins is who I'm looking for
        Joe Calzaghe

"With Bernard you never know, he comes to us from outer space sometimes," Larkin added.

Calzaghe's promoter Frank Warren backed Showtime's plan, saying that he would be speaking to Hopkins this week and that he felt the American was made for Calzaghe's style.

Larkin talked of staging the fight in Wales - at the Millennium Stadium or Ninian Park - but both Warren and Calzaghe seem ready to fight across the Atlantic.

Hopkins still Calzaghe's focus

"I want a big fight in the States and Hopkins is who I'm looking for," said Calzaghe.

"I'm just looking forward to bashing somebody else up - and I don't want to wait another six months for that to happen."

Bernard 'the Executioner' Hopkins
        Hopkins recently blew the chance of a fight with James Toney
        Hopkins turned down an offer of £3m to face Calzaghe last year, and since his last significant fight - against Felix Trinidad in 2001 - his financial demands have blown lucrative bouts with Roy Jones Jr and James Toney.

That has left Hopkins with few options, but Calzaghe's need for the fight is equally desperate - Hopkins is the only true superstar competing near his weight division.

A proposed unification fight for Calzaghe with Sven Ottke would not appeal to the US audience, although that could happen a little further down the line after the German meets the winner of Anthony Mundine-Antwun Echols.
        Larry...get some perspective. There was a lot more to the deal than just fighting Calzaghe. It was a deal with SHOWTIME.

Lord, what is wrong with people today?

Comment

Originally posted by Body Movin' View Post
          Source?

Frank Warren... following Calzaghe ditching him for the most lucrative fight of his career and then taking him to court.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirk Diggler UK View Post
            i can show you articles where calzaghe is scared of flying so he couldn't possibly fight in america. he was just using hopkins name to promote himself. you are very gullible. if the hopkins-calzaghe fight was ever made back then it sure as hell wouldn't have been on showtime. but did warren and calzaghe negotiate with hbo? nope. it's all a farce and you believe it. you probably think hopkins ducked harry simon as well because he didn't agree to the showtime deal.
            Last edited by daggum; 02-23-2011, 10:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by daggum View Post
              i can show you articles where calzaghe is scared of flying so he couldn't possibly fight in america. he was just using hopkins name to promote himself. you are very gullible. if the hopkins-calzaghe fight was ever made back then it sure as hell wouldn't have been on showtime.
              It would've been if Bernard had accepted the career high 3m payday he was offered.

Comment

Originally posted by Syf View Post
                whether he ducked or not he did not fight a prime version of either of them.. not even close.

Especially Roy
                This is the absolute TRUTH... Why this is not so obvious to everyone, I just don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by daggum View Post
                  i can show you articles where calzaghe is scared of flying so he couldn't possibly fight in america. he was just using hopkins name to promote himself. you are very gullible. if the hopkins-calzaghe fight was ever made back then it sure as hell wouldn't have been on showtime. but did warren and calzaghe negotiate with hbo? nope. it's all a farce and you believe it.
                  cant argue with that cause that was mentioned on the 24/7 for the jones-calzaghe fight

Comment

Originally posted by Dirk Diggler UK View Post
                    It would've been if Bernard had accepted the career high 3m payday he was offered.
                    it was a 3 fight deal. you don't know the facts. you believe warren's spin but then you bash him the next second when he says something bad about calzaghe. so hopkins ducked south african harry simon because he didn't agree to the 3 fight showtime deal?
                    Last edited by daggum; 02-23-2011, 10:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LarryX2011 View Post
                      i knew who he was..hopkins and jones sure knew who he was......dont know why you didnt
                      You definitely didn't know who he was.

Comment

Working...
                      X