Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Buster Douglas KO Mike Tyson boxing's biggest upset ever?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by El Fenomeno View Post
    I'm struggling to think of a bigger upset in sporting history tbh.
    I hear you because when it comes to team sports..there's more individuals involved & it's more a team element...anyone can lose at any given time. Probably if one were to find such an upset it would have to be in an NCAA tournament where it's do or die..one gamr where an inferior opponent can be matched up against a powerhouse. Or in the Olympics.... like when the USA team beat that bad USSR team in hockey or ahow about Rocky vs Drago who had all the adavantages coming off a killing of Apollo Creed & Rocky goes to his backyard & serves him. Doesn't get any bigger than those odds.

Comment

Originally posted by jimmy1569 View Post
      Son...not talking so much to you as to the peeps who brought into that whack conspirancy theory as if Mike deserved the knockout somehow. Hold your horses. You're a Mike Tyson fan & you saw the fight as it actually happened. Just pointed it out the fact that you mentioned the long count & how Don King rolled with that..shoot Mike was there..he'd be the first to tell anyone he wasn't the better man that night & got beat fair & square... kapish.
      Oh fa sho. I thought since you quoted me it aimed directly at me, my fault homie. We on the square now bruh. I agree he wasn't the better man that night. The Mike that dispatched Spinks in 90 seconds would've gotten a different result than the Mike from 1990. It's sad to me, because he coulda been the greatest HW of this era, but he sold himself short everytime you turned around. Me pissed me off like how Floyd is pissin me off now. All the potential in the world to be seriously mentioned with the ATG's but not dedicating themselves to "Greatness". Hamed was another one.

Comment

Originally posted by El Fenomeno View Post
        I'm struggling to think of a bigger upset in sporting history tbh.
        I hear you because when it comes to team sports..there's more individuals involved & it's more a team element...anyone can lose at any given time. Probably if one were to find such an upset it would have to be in an NCAA tournament where it's do or die..one gamr where an inferior opponent can be matched up against a powerhouse. Or in the Olympics.... like when the USA team beat that bad USSR team in hockey or ahow about Rocky vs Drago who had all the adavantages coming off a killing of Apollo Creed & Rocky goes to his backyard & serves him. Doesn't get any bigger than those odds.
        That Louis vs. Schmeling I is equal to if not greater(I cant call it as I wasn't alive at the time, but I do know the significance. And have read and watched the impact told by those who lived during it).

Comment

Originally posted by Chief2ndzOnly! View Post
          Oh fa sho. I thought since you quoted me it aimed directly at me, my fault homie. We on the square now bruh. I agree he wasn't the better man that night. The Mike that dispatched Spinks in 90 seconds would've gotten a different result than the Mike from 1990. It's sad to me, because he coulda been the greatest HW of this era, but he sold himself short everytime you turned around. Me pissed me off like how Floyd is pissin me off now. All the potential in the world to be seriously mentioned with the ATG's but not dedicating themselves to "Greatness". Hamed was another one.
          Look...Mike left his mark like no other. He wasn't built to last as something like that can't last>>> it's too destructive & eventually implodes but I GUARANTEE you in 100 YRS that people will remember his name more than anyone not named Ali. That's the sort of impact he had on folks.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief2ndzOnly! View Post
            That Louis vs. Schmeling I is equal to if not greater(I cant call it as I wasn't alive at the time, but I do know the significance. And have read and watched the impact told by those who lived during it).
            I guess you can't overlook that time as you had politics involved so it was something of a global warfare. Germany vs the US. Joe LOUIS is considered by many to be the best heavyweight of alltime to this day & was considered invincible at the time. Schmelling smashed him up real nice but Louis waxed him in the rematch..very similar to how Rahman & Lewis played out. I personally think Louis is of the Russell & Chamberlain syndrome... he was one of the first on the scene..dominated but would NOT have fared the same in modern times.. He'd have been great like Russell & Chamberlain would have but NOT nearly as formidable.. his body composition was that of a cruiserweight & he didn't nearly have the same comp that was available in modern times... that's just the way I SEE it. How would he fare against 6 and a half feet of Klitschko with major advantages in size and just as much as skill......

Comment

Why i voted maybe i dont know,got a little confused i guess.Yes it was the biggest upset in the sport imo

Comment

Look...they could talk about Liston & Foreman back in the day as being scary individuals but NO one made the type of headlines off of it like Mike Tyson had...therein lies the difference. The publicity & hype that he got was off the charts. For every $50 pay perview that lasted less than 50 seconds..it only grew higher & then you factor in the fact that he was one crazy mofo outside of the ring who was as much self destructive as he was to others & created this aura of invincibility that was inhumane that fighters were ****ting in there pants right before the opening bell.... so for Douglas to have slayed that type of dragon where no one else could...biggest upset in sports history let alone boxing by far because of public perception at the time.

Comment

yes, it is.

not meaning to make excuses, but you could tell Tyson was highly unprepared for the fight. dropped in sparring, had dumped Rooney, and was messing around with the Japanese the whole time.

his corner was so incompetent in that fight. what were they using as endswell? a plastic bag with ice in it?

Douglas in general was a better fighter than portrayed by many, he just lacked focus. excellent jab. dropped a prospect twice in one round with it.

Comment

It made the front page of my local paper. Headline said real life Rocky K.O. Tyson.

Comment

I guess you can't overlook that time as you had politics involved so it was something of a global warfare. Germany vs the US. Joe LOUIS is considered by many to be the best heavyweight of alltime to this day & was considered invincible at the time. Schmelling smashed him up real nice but Louis waxed him in the rematch..very similar to how Rahman & Lewis played out. I personally think Louis is of the Russell & Chamberlain syndrome... he was one of the first on the scene..dominated but would NOT have fared the same in modern times.. He'd have been great like Russell & Chamberlain would have but NOT nearly as formidable.. his body composition was that of a cruiserweight & he didn't nearly have the same comp that was available in modern times... that's just the way I SEE it. How would he fare against 6 and a half feet of Klitschko with major advantages in size and just as much as skill......
                      I think he could've held his own. Joe Louis vs. Primo Carnera.

I think it's a bit of a stretch to say either K Bros, had the type of skills that Joe had.

Comment

Working...
                      X