No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: What HBO Should Do Now – Part One

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: What HBO Should Do Now – Part One

By Thomas Hauser - Eight years ago, I wrote an article entitled What’s Going on at HBO? In part, that article read, “Boxing at HBO is at a crossroads. There's an axiom in the sweet science that, if a fighter isn't getting better, he's getting worse. And the same might be said of those who televise fights. To a degree, HBO is living off the good will that attaches to the HBO brand. And because HBO sets the standard, if it gets sloppy it will allow everyone else's standards to drop.”

Four years after that, in 2007, I wrote, “This is a watershed moment for HBO Sports. And it comes at a time when HBO can no longer take its favored position with boxing fans for granted. Until recently, there was a presumption that, if a fight was on HBO, it was worth watching. That's no longer always the case. The powers that be at HBO have to sit down with a blank piece of paper and ask themselves, "What do we want HBO Sports to look like five years from now?” And when they do, they should examine the underlying philosophy that drives their boxing program.” [Click Here To Read More]

good read..............

Comment

damn, hauser continues to dump on HBO.... and I can sympathize considering berto gets paid more for beating up WW bums than anyone on saturday's card.

Comment

Great article. I hope HBO is reading this. I'm going to send a email to them with a link to this article.

Comment

Good read.

Here is a suggestion for the HBO matchmaking part, he was talking about.

If the HBO matchmaker is to understand boxing, he should understand this.

Starting with Shane Mosley, who probably isn't retiring anytime soon. If he losses to Pacquiao, Shane needs to be brought back for scraps. Don't offer him maximum money.

Two, Shane is still great if matched against agressive, come forward guys. He already knocked one out who was world-class in margarito and was chin proof.

Next up should be Mosley vs either Kirkland or Alfredo Angulo at 154.

They were being groomed by HBO anyway, so have them go up against Mosley. If they win, great (on to Kirkland vs Angulo prime vs Prime fight), if they don't, keep matching MOsley in with guys like this. Lets see how long he lasts. He has yet to be knocked out by one of these come forward guys or beaten up.

Comment

Damn, and that's just part one. If part two is this long, I'll have to read it at work.

Comment

Originally posted by Pullcounter View Post
              damn, hauser continues to dump on HBO....
              he's absolutely right though. these HBO execs, these guys they aren't boxing guys. they really don't know **** about the sport which is why they make so many head scratching decisions.

Comment

Originally posted by cupocity303 View Post
                Good read.

Here is a suggestion for the HBO matchmaking part, he was talking about.

If the HBO matchmaker is to understand boxing, he should understand this.

Starting with Shane Mosley, who probably isn't retiring anytime soon. If he losses to Pacquiao, Shane needs to be brought back for scraps. Don't offer him maximum money.

Two, Shane is still great if matched against agressive, come forward guys. He already knocked one out who was world-class in margarito and was chin proof.

Next up should be Mosley vs either Kirkland or Alfredo Angulo at 154.

They were being groomed by HBO anyway, so have them go up against Mosley. If they win, great (on to Kirkland vs Angulo prime vs Prime fight), if they don't, keep matching MOsley in with guys like this. Lets see how long he lasts. He has yet to be knocked out by one of these come forward guys or beaten up.
                meh... cotto/mosley and mosley/marg are good fight imho. those are the priority. kirkland and angulo can use mosley as a stepping stone. I also would put mosley in with mike jones and berto to use mosley as a stepping stone as well. maybe even khan or bradley to put names on their resume and get them acclimated to 147 lbs.

but I dunno if mosley will be around that long... he hasn't found the fountain of youth like bhop.

Comment

I love his articles but something tells me this dude has top Rank in his pockets.

Comment

Originally posted by Ko King 212 View Post
                    I love his articles but something tells me this dude has top Rank in his pockets.
                    Yeah bro,I seen him write bad stuff on hbo and goldenboy.But nothing really
                    on top rank.I guess arum does everything the right way.

Comment

Working...
                    X