No announcement yet.

Mayweather vs. Cotto post fight Thread -DON'T make new threads about the fight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mayweather Requests 8 oz gloves for Cotto clash

http://r i n g t v .c r a v e o n l i n e.com/blog/171727-ring-kings-mayweather-cotto-set-for-may-5

Floyd Mayweather Jr. believes himself capable of scoring a knockout against WBA junior middleweight titleholder, Miguel Cotto, even though he could not do so the last time he fought at 154 pounds. That first appearance as a junior middleweight was back in May of 2007, when Mayweather took Oscar De La Hoya's WBC belt by split-decision.

Mayweather blamed the fact that he couldn't stop De La Hoya on the size of the gloves rather than any lack of power in his own fists during the second day of a three-city press tour promoting his May 5 clash with Cotto at The Apollo Theatre in New York City on Tuesday.

"Against De La Hoya, they gave me heavyweight gloves. They gave me 10-ounce gloves," said Mayweather, who will pursue his eighth title belt over five weight classes against Cotto at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. "We are requesting eight ounce gloves for this one. Hopefully, we can get them. We want blood, sweat and tears for this one."

Comment

• 8 ounce gloves it is.

So sayeth the King.

Good call.

Comment

• Also Cotto says the deal to face Floyd was better than the Pac deal. Mayweather says how he beat JMM proves he is better than Pac.

Comment

• Nice, I'm hoping for a vintage Mayweather beat down.

Comment

• I hope they also go for reyes but I doubt it.

Comment

• Originally posted by El Angel View Post
              Also Cotto says the deal to face Floyd was better than the Pac deal. Mayweather says how he beat JMM proves he is better than Pac.
              I don't agree with that. Styles make fights and that style was all wrong for Marquez.

Comment

• Originally posted by ThePhantom5 View Post
                I don't agree with that. Styles make fights and that style was all wrong for Marquez.
                Agreed you can do that on a number of fights against common opponents between them where Pacquiao does better against some and Floyd does better against some. The only way to prove who is better is to meet in the ring. Hopefully it happens.

Comment

• Originally posted by El Angel View Post
                  Agreed you can do that on a number of fights against common opponents between them where Pacquiao does better against some and Floyd does better against some. The only way to prove who is better is to meet in the ring. Hopefully it happens.
                  For example I think there's a decent chance that Cotto does better vs Floyd than he did vs Pac.

Some of that is the weight/Trainer but most of it is the style. Cotto likes to fight boxers. His kryptonite will always be a high work-rate pressure fighter.

Comment

• I see the glove size as a double edged sword for Floyd, Cotto is going to get marked up and swollen much eaiser/faster. But... I see Cotto's jab making it harder for Floyd to be honest. I just see a lot of respect but a beat the **** out of you type attitude from both guys, going to be a great fight I can't wait.

Comment

• Originally posted by ThePhantom5 View Post
                      For example I think there's a decent chance that Cotto does better vs Floyd than he did vs Pac.

Some of that is the weight/Trainer but most of it is the style. Cotto likes to fight boxers. His kryptonite will always be a high work-rate pressure fighter.
                      Exactly. He likes to fight at his own pace and has trouble being defensive and offensive at the same time, which is why he is trouble by being pressesed. Mayweather is a incredible boxer, but Cotto won't be pressed and that's key.

Comment

Working...
                      X