Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mayweather vs. Cotto post fight Thread -DON'T make new threads about the fight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re watched it and only gave Cotto 6 and 8, maybe 9 some of the rounds were competitive but really didn't do enough to win them.

Comment

• Floyd holds a lot he even did it to hatton. He has got some decent defense moves, but without a doubt another way to stop being hit is holding his opponent.

Floyd had the cheek to call hatton a hugger when in fact Floyd loves a hug and squeeze

Comment

• Originally posted by xAUGUSTUSx View Post
        The ref never warned him once but he was holding alot.
        He did a bit but he has been far worse in the past. The ref did pull him up on a few times but no hard warning.

He would just hold Cotto's arms and not let go even when the ref called break.

The kid got tired, pace was too much for him, not in Pacquiao's league when it comes to conditioning, but then again, who is?

Comment

• I didn't see much holding, but then again, I was drunk as ****.

Comment

• Who complained when Cotto tied up and walked back Margarito in his last fight?

Comment

• Floyd held quite a bit on the inside. And he did struggle at times there as well, especially against the ropes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Reloaded View Post
                Idiot one of greatest holders of all time was Ali lol , its a fight and they do what they need to do to win , Cotto was holding just as much , was hitting low and pushing the head , its a fight and it was good fight and Floyd won clearly , give the man his dues you whiny fanboy .
                You might want to see two men hug each other, I don't it is against the rules.

Floyd was doing the holding, he needed a rest.

Comment

• Originally posted by tyson View Post
                  Against Floyd? Yes he was. The fact that Cotto starts to move around to take a breather doesn't mean he's not a pressure-fighter.
                  Being a pressure-fighter doesn't mean you have to move straight forward like a homing missile. Cotto fights in one of three modes; Active-aggressive, passive-aggressive or in breather-mode.
                  Again, I understand the eb and flow of a fight but if you watch Cotto in his prime, he was a much different fighter. He pressured a lot more, he's just not that guy anymore and while he made a great fight, it wasn't the type of pressure I would have liked to see from Cotto through 12 rounds. Look at the Castillo v Mayweather fight, THAT is pressure.

And I respect that you think that. I think he has slowed down on his feet as well, but added weight I think is the cause of that. What I do think, though, is that in this particular fight, Floyd found it more effective, especially in a cost-reward sense, to stand his ground instead of jumping around. The signs which leads me to think this has been explained.
                  I agree but again, Mayweather seems to be slowing down of foot. I just didn't see the quickness the way I even saw it vs Ortiz.

You don't need to, but it's effective for two reasons; it will be a surprising blow which may knock the air out of your opponent and it will bring his left hand down to open up for the right hand. Floyd does this all the time, even when in attack mode instead of in counter-mode.
                  He could have done it but in the end I don't think that it would have been a game changer. More important than anything I feel as thought Floyd spent too much time on the ropes and allowed Cotto to gain confidence and momentum in the fight.

Exactly, a dangerous punch and a risky tactic unless you know what you're doing. If you watch slow-mode videos of Floyd on the ropes, you'll see that he leans outside the left hand of his opponent before trying to shoot the uppercut between the left and right hand of his opponent. What's interesting to me when I watch these things in slow motion is the focus of Floyd-the things he looks for and the small efforts he makes to place himself out of harm's way.

But even for Floyd it's a risky tactic because good opponents adapt to it and will try to look for that uppercut so they can counter with the hook.

Yes, all fighters look for things that may work, or tries to create an opening by trying to get their opponent to do a specific thing. That's "inviting".
                  I understand that but Mayweather never gives anything up. When was the last time you seen Floyd bloodied? One of the reasons he wasn't throwing the right uppercut is because Cotto was landing the left hook.

Comparing the Cotto fight to earlier fights, like Hatton, is not really a valid point when it comes to the nature of the fights. Hatton was a mauler, a hugger and wrestler, Cotto is not. The different versions of Floyd just between the two fights against JMM and Ortiz, or even Mosley, goes to show that Floyd executes a pre-determined gameplan which is created to suit his various opponents. JMM is a counter-puncher, so Floyd took the countering part of JMM's game away. Hatton was a mauler, so Floyd used dirty tactics to take away the mauling. Similarly I think he figured out beforehand that it would be more effective to let Cotto smother himself than to risk running himself tired by moving and hitting arms and gloves.

I think that because that's what I do against tight-guarded fighters. To me it's the logical thing to do, and I think the best fighter in the world fights rather logical against the majority of his opponents the majority of the time.
                  I wasn't comparing Cotto to Hatton, I was comparing the pressure not style. Cotto 5 years ago was relentless, now he's a much slower of foot fighter, almost a counter puncher and fights going backwards much better.

Comment

• Originally posted by borikua View Post
                    I didn't see much holding, but then again, I was drunk as ****.
                    I thought both effectively held the others arms at times. Either way ref sstopped it when he felt necessary. Most times the fighters got through it themselves.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gino Ros View Post

This is not a prime Floyd.

Tell me how Ray Leonard, Roberto Duran and Tommy Hearns looked at 35.
                      I agree it's not a prime Floyd and made some stipulations in later posts. I would however state that Mayweather though not as great as his best has not lost as much as many may think. His foot speed has slowed a bit but he has maintained greatly. I think most people see him having a tough fight against Miguel and use this as evidence to him being 8 steps back from his prime. Is Castillo in a P4p sense that much better than Cotto? Floyd in his prime had a tough fight there as well. In regards to Age which is still a factor I do think that the modern athlete ages far better than the fighters of 30 or even 10 years ago but keep in mind I did make a correction in my thinking and went back to a younger 147 floyd

Comment

Working...
                      X