No announcement yet.

It All Makes Sense Now...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It All Makes Sense Now...

Now, you guys know that I have been critical of Team Pacquiao and Top Rank. I'm not here to destroy them...but to defend them.

It seems that Bob Arum has been working on the Showtime/CBS deal for awhile. Since before Christmas, and before Manny "picked" Shane Mosley as his opponent.

At the time, I said that the opponent that made the most sense was Juan Manuel Marquez. JMM had given Manny trouble in the ring, he brings a Mexican fanbase, and their previous fights did good business.

HOWEVER, in light of Bob's aspiration to take this Manny/Mosley fight to a wide mainstream audience, it makes perfect sense that Shane was selected.

Juan Manuel speaks iffy English, and his trainer and manager speaks no English. At all. A fight between two small ethnic men would be less appealing to the typical mainstream gringo who is watching CBS on a Saturday night.

You can't have an hour of subtitled "fight promotion" on a "big four" network. That type of **** would belong on Telemundo or Univision. You don't see Bubba trying to watch Sabado Gigante or El Gordo y La Flaca.

So, while I'm still not excited about Manny fighting a shot Shane (who can be?), I support the business process that resulted in Shane's selection as an opponent.

Who hacked your account?

Comment

Originally posted by Gino Ros View Post
      Now, you guys know that I have been critical of Team Pacquiao and Top Rank. I'm not here to destroy them...but to defend them.

It seems that Bob Arum has been working on the Showtime/CBS deal for awhile. Since before Christmas, and before Manny "picked" Shane Mosley as his opponent.

At the time, I said that the opponent that made the most sense was Juan Manuel Marquez. JMM had given Manny trouble in the ring, he brings a Mexican fanbase, and their previous fights did good business.

HOWEVER, in light of Bob's aspiration to take this Manny/Mosley fight to a wide mainstream audience, it makes perfect sense that Shane was selected.

Juan Manuel speaks iffy English, and his trainer and manager speaks no English. At all. A fight between two small ethnic men would be less appealing to the typical mainstream gringo who is watching CBS on a Saturday night.

You can't have an hour of subtitled "fight promotion" on a "big four" network. That type of **** would belong on Telemundo or Univision. You don't see Bubba trying to watch Sabado Gigante or El Gordo y La Flaca.

So, while I'm still not excited about Manny fighting a shot Shane (who can be?), I support the business process that resulted in Shane's selection as an opponent.
      I think the only reason you're defending this move now is because there's a good chance that the fight will have really high PPV sale numbers, and you realize that this time you won't be able to defend Floyd's PPV numbers against Pac? We all know you love those PPV numbers

Comment

Originally posted by Mayabang View Post
        I think the only reason you're defending this move now is because there's a good chance that the fight will have really high PPV sale numbers, and you realize that this time you won't be able to defend Floyd's PPV numbers against Pac? We all know you love those PPV numbers
        Can you imagine if Floyd outsells Pacquiao again despite a FC360 in over 100 million homes? That would be a mega-embarrassment.

Nonetheless, Floyd's 1.5 million buyrate vs Shane stands on its own. Not the relevant topic. The issue is Marquez vs Mosley for this promotion.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mighty FSM View Post
          Who hacked your account?
          I have always displayed equanimity when it comes to business.

Always.

Comment

Floyd must've poked Gino Ros in the head real hard.

Comment

I concur with the signs that point towards me having to take a big, fat, and nice sh.it

Comment

yes, the large CBS audience might not dig watching a little mexican dude drinking his own pee

Comment

A foreigner drinking urine >>>> an American talking boringly.

Comment

Working...
                  X