No announcement yet.

Awesome Piece on HBO losing Pacquiao to Showtime by Hauser

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kevin Malone View Post
    According to the article discussions are going on between 2 other premium networks (Starz and Cinemax I'd assume, what other premium networks are there?) and promoters to add boxing to their programming. I think those networks could do boxing correctly.

Boxing is currently on a bunch of networks right now (HBO, Showtime, ESPN2, Versus, Fox Sports, Telefutura, and Telemundo not counting the regional shows on RSNs) and I don't think it's horrible on any of them. The big money fights are going to have higher production values and be on the bigger networks. That's just the nature of boxing and sports in general.
    1. those two really dont count too much for our english speakers altho i kno many of the regional networks and fox/versus pick up these fights.

2. the yes big money fights have to be on the bigger networks. but when u have all these fighters thinking they deserve to make big moeny then who the hell is gonna fight on espn on on national tv??? whos at fault for these fighters thinking that way??? it isnt hbo as much as it is the promoters and these boxing organizations who have a million titles that make these gus feel like they are champions. in turn average fans see these paper champs and they are unable to distinguish the legitimate elite from this second class. say what u want about hbo. but for every andre berto they created, there are like 5 schenkos' and ottkes'.

Comment

Originally posted by DempseyRollin View Post
      that my point. if the stuff we wind up seeing on netowrk television is junk, are we gonna say to ourselves, "this is junk, but hey, its boxing."??? i have a hard time with this idea. it may be impossible for boxing to become big again. there are too many things that work against it.

so id rather it be smaller but refined than bigger but fragmented and ignored. thats why the networks are not the problem. the networks can only work with what they are given, sometimes the work it thru good and sometimes they come up with garbage. but to think that hbo is somehow responsible for the mess that we see today is just foolhardy.
      I didn't mean to personally attack you, but i'm just sick of all the constant negativity from boxing fans. It's a self fulfilling prophecy with all the bashing that goes on. Look at MMA fans, the polar opposite. They completely ignore any problems and do everything to promote the sport. I just wish boxing fans weren't always so doom and gloom.

To your point, I see what your saying but HBO had control of most of the sport and has only made it more and more niche. Network allows for new fans and the only reason we hear 'boxing is dead' is because nobody outside of the hardcore faithful knows or cares about boxing when it's all premium cable and PPV (for all the big fights). Look at HBO's lineup for 2011, personally I think its fine. Nice competitive match ups, problem is nobody knows who those guys are outside the hardcores.

As for HBO, they are just poorly managed and need change but the real reason the sport is suffering is because of the promoters sitting idly by and cashing in their HBO checks. They have no problem raping HBO but then they go on about all the problems in the sport...come on. Can you even imagine the stars that we could have today in the sport had Golden Boy and Top Rank stacked and promoted the undercards of the mega PPV matches of the last few years with competitive fights between future big names. Lose a little in the present to invest in the future. Instead they gave the casual fan a bunch of crud.

Comment

Originally posted by Gino Ros View Post
        How so? can you please expand?

Because people said the SAME THING when Strikeforce got the CBS slot.
        I didn't. Strikeforce didn't have the roster that top rank does. Strikeforce didn't work at the time cause they didn't have anyone that the public cared about.

This is a WHOLE different animal.

Comment

Originally posted by savorduhflavor View Post
          I didn't. Strikeforce didn't have the roster that top rank does. Strikeforce didn't work at the time cause they didn't have anyone that the public cared about.

This is a WHOLE different animal.
          Bob Arum has had several exclusive deals with networks it never went well for the network~ if he didn't use his vast stable in the past why use it now? when he can just skimp on cards again~

Comment

Originally posted by flipbjefrox View Post
            True that malinaggi quote came out of nowhere LOL. Malinaggi is a person who was financially compensated very well by hbo with his fights with cherry ndou and hatton.
            I swear its like almost every year Hauser mentions Malinaggi, he did it in 2007 and he does it again. Pillow fists should be on his hands and knees blowing Greenburg for having had that much exposure on HBO.

Comment

Originally posted by The Gambler1981 View Post
              Bob Arum has had several exclusive deals with networks it never went well for the network~ if he didn't use his vast stable in the past why use it now? when he can just skimp on cards again~
              Even though it's regular cable and not network Top Rank Live just started it's 2nd season last night. Why would FSN invest in another season if it didn't work out in the first?

Times change. People change. Businesses change.

Comment

Originally posted by The Gambler1981 View Post
                But theres nothing exclusive about this. That's the what's great about this, Top Rank is just the one opening the door.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Malone View Post
                  Even though it's regular cable and not network Top Rank Live just started it's 2nd season last night. Why would FSN invest in another season if it didn't work out in the first?

Times change. People change. Businesses change.
                  Bob Arum never changes, I don't see how anyone could say such a thing about a person like Arum.

Arum dealt with Versus who gave him a great deal and completely fucked them, that was recent you really telling me after 40 years in the business Arum had some epiphany in the last couple years.

Come on.

Comment

But theres nothing exclusive about this. That's the what's great about this, Top Rank is just the one opening the door.
                    I am fine with what Top Rank is doing, I just don't see why you would expect a lot out of them.

History shows Arum talks big and produces small at least in proportion to his grand schemes.

Comment

i think his point is u can change the network but if u dont change the attitudes/powers of the promoters, nothing will change.

Comment

Working...
                      X