Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the definition of a big puncher?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the definition of a big puncher?

As a new boxing fan I hear this a lot on any network be it HBO, Showtime, or ESPN. The commentators will say "So and so should watch out because so and so is the bigger puncher of the two. But then they look stupid because the one with smaller number of knockouts starts stunning the one with the larger amount of knockouts. Look at Paulie Malinaggi's last match no one says he a big puncher and he was the one who got the stoppage. The other fighter had like 29 ko's I believe. Even further look at the Caballero/Litzau match. Litzau had like 21 ko's and Larry Merchant said "Litzau not known as a big puncher. They always said the same thing about Juan Diaz to and I've seen him get stoppages as well. If you have knockouts on your record your a threat in my book.

My guess is that almost every shot they throw and land "Hurts", while fighters may have high KO ratio it could be from stoppages or just accumulation, while a big puncher on needs to land 1 big cleanly to end the fight.

e.g. Marquez landing shots on Katsidis, compared to a Big Puncher like Haye who only needs to land a couple before he has his man down.

Comment

Juan Diaz, Paulie Malinaggi, Jason Litzsau are NOT big punchers

the definition of Big Puncher is someone who can turn a fight with a single punch...guys like Terry Norris, Julian Jackson, George Foreman, Edwin Valero....dudes who, out of nowhere, can punch your lights out...

Comment

Comment

Maidana is the definition

Comment

Thanks jri9d0 cool vid.

Comment

Comment

any fighter who can change a fight with a single punch.

That shot doesn't have to be one punch KO power, but it's the type of punch that can change the momentum of a fight.

Comment

Originally posted by -Top Rank- View Post
                  any fighter who can change a fight with a single punch.

That shot doesn't have to be one punch KO power, but it's the type of punch that can change the momentum of a fight.
                  True and that's something that someone lile Pauile M could never do.

Comment

Tito aka the Boricua Boogie man

Comment

Working...
                    X