No announcement yet.

Pacquiao's Next Fight Moved to May 7th

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pacquiao's Next Fight Moved to May 7th

That is the weekend immediately following Cinco De Mayo, fighting Marquez would be HUGE then... but doesn't look like that's the route they're going obviously.

Manny Pacquiao met with his promoter and his business manager Tuesday in what was described as "full, exploratory meeting," and the Filipino superstar boxer is prepared to decide his next opponent by Friday, promoter Bob Arum said.

But that fight will be delayed by nearly a month, it was learned, because of Pacquiao's congressional obligations. The announced April 16 bout will now be held May 7, the weekend of Cinco de Mayo. The site will remain the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

The man considered the best pound-for-pound boxer told Arum that his duties as a congressman in the Philippines makes the April date too difficult to fulfill. Pacquiao typically trains for eight weeks before a fight.

As for who he will fight, the talks are ongoing.

Holding a world junior-middleweight belt that is his record eighth weight-class title, Pacquiao is considering bids by Shane Mosley, Juan Manuel Marquez and Andre Berto, Arum said.

"I know where he's headed, but it's not right for me to divulge yet," Arum said. "Until it's conclusively decided, I'm not going to say anything."

Arum also warned not to read anything into the new date that Marquez would be the choice.

Arum and Pacquiao's business manager, Michael Koncz, have made it no secret that they prefer Pacquiao fight Mosley in the absence of the legally troubled Floyd Mayweather Jr.

The 39-year-old Mosley, currently a world welterweight champion, has generated rich pay-per-views as the B side to bouts featuring Oscar De La Hoya and Mayweather. Mosley has looked awful in his two most recent fights, however, a one-sided loss to Mayweather and a sluggish draw against Sergio Mora in September.

World lightweight champion Marquez, meanwhile, has fought Pacquiao to a 2004 draw and 2008 split-decision loss, and he's shined in bouts this year against Juan Diaz and Michael Katsidis.

Pacquiao's handlers want to avoid such a tough battle against Marquez with the mega-pay day against Mayweather Jr. still possible pending his legal trouble in Nevada for allegedly striking the mother of his children and threatening his children.

Following dinner at a Chinese restaurant in the Philippines, Arum said he presented information to Pacquiao at the promoter's hotel suite. Pacquiao often says his promoter determines whom he fights.

"I do have a lot of influence based on logic, but Manny has to determine what's logical," Arum said. "He relies heavily on me, but I'm not going to tell him to fight 'X' when he wants to fight 'Y.' "

Arum wouldn't say that's the scenario at play.

What about Mayweather? Is that officially dead?

Arum said he's heard "zero" from the Mayweather camp.

"If Floyd was promotional minded, he'd come here for Manny's birthday party [Friday] and come out of the cake saying he's ready for the fight," Arum said. "That would make a huge statement."

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/spor...-marquez-.html
    I hope the bolded means there's dissent within the ranks about the next opponent. If they had full talks today and didn't hammer out a final opponent and won't until Friday, probably means Arum/Koncz are pushing Shane while Freddie is trying to convince Manny to go after Marquez and settle the score.

Probably just getting my hopes up though. Could be just a formality while they get all the minor details for a Mosley fight ironed out, that's the most likely scenario.

Once Arum said "Mosley" at the post fight press conference you know it would be him. Instead of saying Mayweather or Marquez first, he said Mosley and a rematch with Cotto. Those are his plans.

Comment

Originally posted by KirbyLovesTacos View Post
      Once Arum said "Mosley" at the post fight press conference you know it would be him. Instead of saying Mayweather or Marquez first, he said Mosley and a rematch with Cotto. Those are his plans.
      probably.

he'd make more money from it.

the espn boxing writers said roach wants jmm though.

Comment

Originally posted by KirbyLovesTacos View Post
        Cotto will have a busy 2011, but I doubt he sees Manny in the fall. He'll take on 2 in-house fights (probably Wolak or Martirosyan, and then Margarito, in March and July respectively) and there are talks to match him up with Martinez in the fall.

I honestly don't see how a rematch with Cotto or Margarito makes any business sense. That sounds like a financial disaster waiting to happen. No one will want to see that as the first bouts were not even remotely close outside of the first 2 rounds maybe. Plus the weight would be a factor unless they try to pull another 150 catchweight, which would be utterly pointless, especially since Margarito already tried and got his face broken at that weight.

Don't see how that works financially or logistically.

the espn boxing writers said roach wants jmm though.
        Both Ariza and Roach have been on record they want Marquez.

Comment

Glad to see that Marquez is still on the table. However, Sergio Martinez not being considered as an opponent is disappointing! I just want all possible selections to be considered.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePrince View Post
            That is the weekend immediately following Cinco De Mayo, fighting Marquez would be HUGE then... but doesn't look like that's the route they're going obviously.

I hope the bolded means there's dissent within the ranks about the next opponent. If they had full talks today and didn't hammer out a final opponent and won't until Friday, probably means Arum/Koncz are pushing Shane while Freddie is trying to convince Manny to go after Marquez and settle the score.

Probably just getting my hopes up though. Could be just a formality while they get all the minor details for a Mosley fight ironed out, that's the most likely scenario.
            woooooohooo this is set up for PAC vs Floyd fight, after this PAC will certainly fight Floyd. Floyd always have his fight either may or june and december or january. So both of their next fight is due on the same month! wohooo!

Comment

Originally posted by 4773Y350NM3 View Post
              woooooohooo this is set up for PAC vs Floyd fight, after this PAC will certainly fight Floyd. Floyd always have his fight either may or june and december or january. So both of their next fight is due on the same month! wohooo!
              Fight's never going to happen. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePrince View Post
                Fight's never going to happen. Sorry to burst your bubble.
                Timing wasnt in sync before, this time it will be. they be fighting in a month when floyd mostly fighting. No more excuses for floyd. PAC changing his timeline for fights just for him.

Comment

What'd I tell ya Kids! Manny's going to be fighting around Cinco De mayo.

I stated looong before the Cheato fight Manny would be fighting Cheato and the "talks" with "Mayweather" was all a smokescreen to have Manny get his 8th title handed to him by Cheato.

Months later...Manny fights and beats in-house Cheato for his 8th title.

I'd also said Manny would most likely be fighting Julio Cesar Chavez Jr around Cinco de Mayo.

Now Manny's fight has been moved to Cinco de Mayo weekend.

All that's needed is Julio Cesar chavez Jr and I wouldn't be surprised if that fight gets set up.

Julio's "undefeated" with a record to "mirror" Floyd's, his legendary dad beat Floyd's trainer Uncle Roger previously, and right around Cinco De Mayo.

All I need to hear is that in-house JCC Jr is in the mix...

Comment

Originally posted by LMFAO View Post
                    What'd I tell ya Kids! Manny's going to be fighting around Cinco De mayo.

I stated looong before the Cheato fight Manny would be fighting Cheato and the "talks" with "Mayweather" was all a smokescreen to have Manny get his 8th title handed to him by Cheato.

Months later...Manny fights and beats in-house Cheato for his 8th title.

I'd also said Manny would most likely be fighting Julio Cesar Chavez Jr around Cinco de Mayo.

Now Manny's fight has been moved to Cinco de Mayo weekend.

All that's needed is Julio Cesar chavez Jr and I wouldn't be surprised if that fight gets set up.

Julio's "undefeated" with a record to "mirror" Floyd's, his legendary dad beat Floyd's trainer Uncle Roger previously, and right around Cinco De Mayo.

All I need to hear is that in-house JCC Jr is in the mix...
                    This will only happen if PAC is too shot to be a stepping stone. The PAC of today is nowhere near to be a stepping stone for such as JCC JR. He will beat him.

Comment

Working...
                    X