Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mares has regressed badly as a fighter since leaving Beristain

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My only issue with Mares is that he takes a lot of unnecessary punishment, which is a product of his stubbornness at times.

Comment

Originally posted by QUELOQUE View Post
      Mares is the same fighter, just different tactics.

He has good hand speed, but his foot speed and reflexes are average for a fighter the level and style of a Darchinyan that avoids inside fighting and stays out of range until he punches.

Som of you mothafukas act like Mares is facing Bernabe Concepcion's and not a dominant 2 divsion champ. Now I can see why fighters sometimes avoid threats.
      Rafa would spark Mares easily in his prime at 118.

Its too bad they didn't have this tourney back then cuz' Rafa would've knocked everyone out.

Comment

Did you notice how the straight from Vic went as smooth like pacquiaos to jml, that stance that Berinstain enforces works very well for righties but not for lefties it shows..... just an interesting fact

In other thoughts I still think Mares is bad ass but yeah he needs to go back to Berinstain.........

Comment

I kind of agree. Before Mares hit the big scene I thought he was can't miss but he is struggling. Yeah, he is fighting what seems to be the best but he isn't blowing any of those guys out. No one at the division is head and shoulders above the rest and not so long ago I thought Mares was on his way to being that.

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Gore View Post
            Now he looks like an average poor man's version of Israel Vazquez.
            A slow plodder that does everything average, has no real speed and power to speak of.

He's already lost twice and he will lose again.

just gonna wait for jack to jump in the saul alvarez bandwagon.

Comment

Rafa would spark Mares easily in his prime at 118.

Its too bad they didn't have this tourney back then cuz' Rafa would've knocked everyone out.
              You have to remember though, Rafa was a late bloomer and at 25 had gotten stopped thrice. At 25, he had just gotten stopped by Genaro Garcia (BS stoppage though, he got up at 9).

Watch the Gabi fight where he was trained by Nacho, he still got hit plenty.

The problem is he tries to block, then counter. That might've worked in the AMs, but in the pros you have to be very fast to do that on a fresh opponent. Windows close in a split second at the top level. If he's going to block and counter, he'll have to do it simultaneously or just throw the blocking out of the window and just counter.

Rafa knocks out everyone in this tournament, Mares is the toughest fight though, it'd be a good one, kid is a solid fighter. What didn't go wrong for him early in that fight? And he still out-bullied the bully. That said, if he was on the level of the Marquez' he'd have gotten pissed and stopped him.

Comment

he beat vic darchinyan, the guy is only 25 and is a true warrior. Any other day he'd beat Darchinyan even worse without all that blood he had flowin in his eye and face.

Where are the Darchinyan ****s claiming Mares wouldnt take his power?

Comment

Originally posted by Check View Post
                  I kind of agree. Before Mares hit the big scene I thought he was can't miss but he is struggling. Yeah, he is fighting what seems to be the best but he isn't blowing any of those guys out. No one at the division is head and shoulders above the rest and not so long ago I thought Mares was on his way to being that.
                  Bantamweight is the best division in boxing.

Your opinion is shared by many, but this is why I'm starting to think that I can't blame fighters for avoiding other fighters.

Even though you acknowledge his opposition being the best, you still expect him to blow them out too. If some of your favorite fighters would've fought the best at the age and with the experience Mares has now in a deep division, they probably wouldn't have been looking as impressive as they did.

Malignaggi, Corley, and Torres are the best fighters young Cotto faced at 140, he didn't blow any of them out. Imagine if Cotto had to face Mayweather, Tszyu, Hatton, or Mitchell, he wouldn't be blowing out any of them either.

Comment

Originally posted by QUELOQUE View Post
                    You have to remember though, Rafa was a late bloomer and at 25 had gotten stopped thrice. At 25, he had just gotten stopped by Genaro Garcia (BS stoppage though, he got up at 9).

Watch the Gabi fight where he was trained by Nacho, he still got hit plenty.

The problem is he tries to block, then counter. That might've worked in the AMs, but in the pros you have to be very fast to do that on a fresh opponent. Windows close in a split second at the top level. If he's going to block and counter, he'll have to do it simultaneously or just throw the blocking out of the window and just counter.

Rafa knocks out everyone in this tournament, Mares is the toughest fight though, it'd be a good one, kid is a solid fighter. What didn't go wrong for him early in that fight? And he still out-bullied the bully. That said, if he was on the level of the Marquez' he'd have gotten pissed and stopped him.

You're really insulting Rafa here man. Mares wouldn't even last 5 rounds with him.

Welcome to my ignore list.

Comment

Now he looks like an average poor man's version of Israel Vazquez.
                      A slow plodder that does everything average, has no real speed and power to speak of.

He's already lost twice and he will lose again.
                      i thought mares outworked vic.

c'mon man, if nacho was still with mares, mares wouldn't be in the tourney

Comment

Working...
                      X