Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

QUESTION: Why is/was KESSLER considered so great? Why regarded so highly?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RimmyDelicious View Post
    Kessler was never on P4P lists. Hatton got on P4P lists by beating P4P number 2-3 Kostya Tzsyu. Pavlik got his slot by beating P4P top 10 Jermain Taylor. Again, Kessler was never on any P4P top 10 lists...so how did Ward get so high on P4P lists without beating a P4P fighter? I guess they just "like the look" of him, eh?
    wlad, timothy, juanma, williams, etc?

Comment

Originally posted by Gino Ros View Post
      wlad, timothy, juanma, williams, etc?
      Wlad (who is not on all the p4p listsw) and Bradley have defeated contender after contender, fighters just under P4P consideration, and have done so for years now. They've unified titles in their division and defended them over and over. Neither one of them is ranked as highly as the far less proven Andre Ward, however. Juanma Lopez is a two weight world champion who just defeated a P4P stalwart and he only just burst onto the lists at number 10, again, far behind Ward. Williams defeated Margarito and Martinez not to mention beat Winky Wright (who was only off of P4P lists due to inactivity) worse than anyone else ever had. Only Williams had been ranked as highly as Ward, yet as we've come to find out, Williams spot on the list was premature at best. They must have "liked the look" of him as well.

Andre Ward has 1 win over a good fighter, yet, he's as high as number 4 P4P. Strange...

Comment

yet as we've come to find out, Williams spot on the list was premature at best. They must have "liked the look" of him as well.

Andre Ward has 1 win over a good fighter, yet, he's as high as number 4 P4P. Strange...
        you are mocking "liked the look", but why are people excited about gamboa? who has he beat?

That is a reality of our sport. It is , in large part, like figure skating. Who beat who and how did he look doing it?

There are threads about how Manny beat Hatton and oscar "better" than Floyd. manny is #1 p4p, but who has he beaten at the top? At least you can say Floyd beat the #2 and #3 p4p guys in dominating fashion.

There is always going to be an aesthetic component. And people give points for that. The WAY that Ward ran through that competition won him some supporters in the media. Although I see some NSB detractors based on a gritty fight with Bika.

Comment

side note: I have NOT seen him that high on ANY lists.

Comment

lol, not even you believe this. Chad Dawson, the ex-future P4P king now relegated to the garbage heap after he was beaten up by Carl Froch's leftovers, is going to make a comeback? We'll see about that.
            I guarantee that this non green Pascal beats froch.

Comment

Originally posted by street bully View Post
              I like Froch. i like his arrogance, his wardrobe, and his girl seems fun.

But all Froch did was what he was supposed to. He received a blueprint from Dirrell, and he executed it. He is tall with the right physique to do it.

Props to carl for executing...but he did not change the world.

Comment

It's his overall body of work that's impressive to me, not any one guy on his record.

He just keeps stacking up quality names (facing and hanging with a variety of styles).

The smart blueprint for taller, longer guys against Abraham must be to control the range using a jab and not get caught with anything. In that sense, I don't feel that Froch took a leaf from Dirrell. Froch showed better punch-variety (was more adventurous, without being rash) and Dirrell showed a lot more athletic movement. They fought differently, to my eyes.

But that's my take, G.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN IN WHITE
                  It's his overall body of work that's impressive to me, not any one guy on his record.

He just keeps stacking up quality names.

The blueprint for any taller, longer guy against Abraham must be to control the range using a jab and try not to get caught with anything. In that sense, I don't think Froch took a leaf from Dirrell. Froch showed better punch-variety (was more adventurous, without being rash) and Dirrell showed a lot more athletic movement. They fought differently, to my eyes.

But that's my take, G.
                  It looked similar Direll dominated from the outside knocked him down and befuddled him with speed and defense. Froch did the same in an awkward way with less speed and shine, but fought the same outside, body head style of it.

Comment

It looked similar Direll dominated from the outside knocked him down and befuddled him with speed and defense. Froch did the same in an awkward way with less speed and shine, but fought the same outside, body head style of it.
                    Yeah, there are similarities, but there are also nuances.

Regardless, the point I'm making is - I don't think it required Dirrell to do what he did for Team Froch to conceive their gameplan. I mean, it makes obvious sense for Carl to fight Abraham that way and he didn't just get everything he needed to do it since April...the tools were always there, he just sharpened them for the task.

Comment

If Pascal was green, what did that make Froch at the time? They were the first step up into elite competition for each other at the time and Froch has clearly improved since then. Regardless, if that fight comes off again, name you price and I'll bet you Froch wins again. It was a good fight last time but Froch won 8 or 9 rounds, it was clear as day who the better man was.

Comment

Working...
                      X