• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

never gonna happen
    helping out the local gyms? are u high?

Comment

Originally posted by The Gambler1981 View Post
      Why do that though, there is no business reason for them to do that, how much does boxing actually bring HBO.

To continue on with a sport that is in decline as you show just seems like a waste.

If I was a stock holder that is how I would think.
      HBO is not losing money with with boxing. You have to understand that they have 31 million subscribers, if they are getting 1 million live viewers on average and another 1 million on demand on replays that's a good chunk of people. Lets not forget that Time Warner the parent company is one of the biggest cable companies in the country. When HBO PPV does a Boxing PPV they get half the revenue from the ppv sales when it is sold through their cable service.

Not every show on HBO gets True Blood type ratings.

Chris Rock had his first Comedy special in 5 years on HBO in 08. It was a big event for HBO on Saturday night, Saturday nights are usually the lowest ratings of the week that's why Boxing gives HBO nice value.

Chris Rock Special - 1,583,000 - Live - Biggest Comedy special of the year by far.

American gangster was a big movie that HBO premiered, a movie like that is the reason why people get HBO. Ofcourse movies has a lot more replay value but it's at the top of the food chain when it comes to mainstream HBO viewers.

American Gangster - 1,700,000 - Live viewers.

Now Mosley vs Mayorga of that year was a decent fight for HBO but wasn't even a top 5 boxing card when it comes to ratings.

The live ratings were 1,258,000 -

When you compare the ratings of Boxing to true blood or Boardwalk empire it looks like the ratings for boxing are weak and HBO is getting no value but it's all about what day of the week it's being played also.

HBO ain't going to be dropping boxing any time soon, they just need to implement some tactics to help grow the sport instead of it shrinking little by little or just being stagnant.

Comment

Originally posted by mrpain81 View Post
        HBO is not losing money with with boxing. You have to understand that they have 31 million subscribers, if they are getting 1 million live viewers on average and another 1 million on demand on replays that's a good chunk of people. Lets not forget that Time Warner the parent company is one of the biggest cable companies in the country. When HBO PPV does a Boxing PPV they get half the revenue from the ppv sales when it is sold through their cable service.

Not every show on HBO gets True Blood type ratings.

Chris Rock had his first Comedy special in 5 years on HBO in 08. It was a big event for HBO on Saturday night, Saturday nights are usually the lowest ratings of the week that's why Boxing gives HBO nice value.

Chris Rock Special - 1,583,000 - Live - Biggest Comedy special of the year by far.

American gangster was a big movie that HBO premiered, a movie like that is the reason why people get HBO. Ofcourse movies has a lot more replay value but it's at the top of the food chain when it comes to mainstream HBO viewers.

American Gangster - 1,700,000 - Live viewers.

Now Mosley vs Mayorga of that year was a decent fight for HBO but wasn't even a top 5 boxing card when it comes to ratings.

The live ratings were 1,258,000 -

When you compare the ratings of Boxing to true blood or Boardwalk empire it looks like the ratings for boxing are weak and HBO is getting no value but it's all about what day of the week it's being played also.

HBO ain't going to be dropping boxing any time soon, they just need to implement some tactics to help grow the sport instead of it shrinking little by little or just being stagnant.
        Like I said I don't think it is that big a deal for HBO, but all this scrutiny makes them look bad, what is simplier fixing it or just scrapping something that doens't really bring that much to the table anymore.

If they want to fix it simply hire a real boxing man to run their boxing and everything else will fall into place.

Comment

Like I said I don't think it is that big a deal for HBO, but all this scrutiny makes them look bad, what is simplier fixing it or just scrapping something that doens't really bring that much to the table anymore.

If they want to fix it simply hire a real boxing man to run their boxing and everything else will fall into place.
          According to Hauser's last article they might already be thinking of scraping the HBO sports department. Just need to hire a few boxing head consultants that actually know the sport and they will be alright, something needs to change though.

Comment

According to Hauser's last article they might already be thinking of scraping the HBO sports department. Just need to hire a few boxing head consultants that actually know the sport and they will be alright, something needs to change though.
            I just don't think these articles really make them want to change, I am sure thay want to spend their money better but the guys in charge do things the way they have been done for a long time hard to see them grasping a big change.

If they bring in a couple real good boxing men to head the boxing department and someone to be a matchmaker of sorts, they will be fine. To me that is all they need to do though and that is the kind of change I think could occur. Once such a team was in charge tough to say which directions they would go but some of those ideas might get tried, but with who they have in place now doing that is wasting capital.

Comment

I just don't think these articles really make them want to change, I am sure thay want to spend their money better but the guys in charge do things the way they have been done for a long time hard to see them grasping a big change.

If they bring in a couple real good boxing men to head the boxing department and someone to be a matchmaker of sorts, they will be fine. To me that is all they need to do though and that is the kind of change I think could occur. Once such a team was in charge tough to say which directions they would go but some of those ideas might get tried, but with who they have in place now doing that is wasting capital.
              Change needs to happen, HBO needs to be the boss and tell the promoters what the deal is not the other way around. I think they should start from and start over, gotta get some new ideas in there.

Comment

Change needs to happen, HBO needs to be the boss and tell the promoters what the deal is not the other way around. I think they should start from and start over, gotta get some new ideas in there.
                That is why I disagree with this specific article this is a bottom up approach, but if the leadership is no good what good is that.

If HBO is going to make changes it has to be top down, because I think most peoples problem with HBO is the leadership. If the head is rotten there is no hope for the rest of the body.

Comment

That is why I disagree with this specific article this is a bottom up approach, but if the leadership is no good what good is that.

If HBO is going to make changes it has to be top down, because I think most peoples problem with HBO is the leadership. If the head is rotten there is no hope for the rest of the body.
                  That's a fair point.

I don't think people really care what happens at the top if they stay or they go. They just want to see competence at HBO and the best fights possible to get value out of that $15 a month.

Comment

Why do that though, there is no business reason for them to do that, how much does boxing actually bring HBO.

To continue on with a sport that is in decline as you show just seems like a waste.

If I was a stock holder that is how I would think.
                    **** stockholders. That's the kind of thinking that put boxing on the backburner in the first place.

There is actually a business reason to do that. If they grow the sport organically with small shows like the guy suggests, they will not only sow the seeds for their boxing future, but they'll reinvigorate the stagnant culture that they have there now.

Nobody views Hbo boxing like they once did. Hbo is now viewed with contempt and derision because people have rightly figured out that they're the ones destroying the sport and sacrificing its integrity for political reasons and by showcasing one overpaid hypejob at a time when there is no good reason for them to do so.

I can't see how you could argue against taking that 1.5 million they waste on Berto (and others like him) who most people hate and who can't sell a damn ticket and use it to fund weekly shows featuring vibrant young talent and developing it.

Comment

This motherfcuker is calling me weird...this article loses all credibility.

Comment

Working...
                      X