No announcement yet.

Why dearth of Black heavyweights?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WladIsTheChamp View Post
    LOL, people underestimate the effect Tiger Woods had on the black community...
    Tiger Woods is only 1/8 black.

He's of mostly Asian heritage.

Comment

Originally posted by Freedom Fighter View Post
      I always thought you were black, since you only like black boxers.
      I really don't dislike white fighters, it's the fact that I find them boring and less skillful as blacks. White fighters are just not coordinated very well and overall brawlers. I'm a fan of skill and the sweet science, which not many whites can perform it at the highest level.

Comment

Originally posted by Freedom Fighter View Post
        Like Monte Barrett and Julius Long did? Nothing stopping them from becoming boxers.
        What about Goofy Whitaker? Michael Grant? Henry Akinwande? And that other guy that was in that HBO hw tournament in the early 2000's ?

Duncan something?

All those guys were huge and athletic.

Comment

Originally posted by Check View Post
          People act like the NFL and NBA were big back then, they weren't. Basketball back in the 60s and 70s was pretty much a fringe sport. NFL, that sport wasn't even on the radar. To put it in perspective, horse racing was bigger than NFL in the 70s.
          OK, so what evidence do you have that basketball players of today would make great HW boxers if the NBA wasn't popular back in the 70s? I could somewhat understand this argument if the type of athlete you see on the courts today was kicking ass back in the 70s, but that wasn't the case. It was mainly 6 feet 2 inch 220lb guys. Quite a few soccer players are that height, by the way, even if the rigours of their sport demand them to be around the 180lb mark.

Comment

Originally posted by INSECT View Post
            You're wrong. Check loves the Marquez brothers almost as much as me, and he's always defending Cotto for taking knees and quitting.
            Really? He doesn't like European boxers though I've noticed.

Comment

You cant just transition to boxing after failing another sport

i mean you can but you will be behind by miles

You have to start boxing at a very young age

Comment

I hope you are being sarcastic right now...
                No, I'm being serious. It is the truth.

Originally posted by INSECT View Post
                You're wrong. Check loves the Marquez brothers almost as much as me, and he's always defending Cotto for taking knees and quitting.
                You are right. Marquez and Cotto are my two favorite fighters but Tunney is somewhat right. I really can't say I've ever liked a Caucasian fighter. I think Froch is okay, I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by No Ceilings View Post
                  People underestimate the impact Michael Jordan had on the Black community.
                  LOL, so that's the reason, we found the culprit for the decline of US black HWs - Michael Jordan, DAMN HIM!!!!! LOL

On a serious note, maybe something a little bigger happened, just a little bigger, maybe not as big as Michael Jordan, but big nevertheless. You ever heard of that little country called the Soviet Union? It fell apart in 1990, and boxers from there, big athletic boxers with excellent amateur pedigrees started fighting pro, whereas before they were prohibited from doing so. But nah, that wasn't it, you probably right, it was Michael Jordan.

Comment

But yeah when Michael Jordan burst on the scne he almost single handedly made boxing irrelevant in the black community. Everyone wanted to be a basketball player.

Comment

LOL, so that's the reason, we found the culprit for the decline of US black HWs - Michael Jordan, DAMN HIM!!!!! LOL

On a serious note, maybe something a little bigger happened, just a little bigger, maybe not as big as Michael Jordan, but big nevertheless. You ever heard of that little country called the Soviet Union? It fell apart in 1990, and boxers from there, big athletic boxers with excellent amateur pedigrees started fighting pro, whereas before they were prohibited from doing so. But nah, that wasn't it, you probably right, it was Michael Jordan.
                      I know that. More Euro fighters have nothing to do with the fact the most athletic black athletes for the most part play football or basketball. Its a fact.

Comment

Working...
                      X