No announcement yet.

Saddest thing about boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saddest thing about boxing

This weekend I was home for break from school. So, last night I went into the city to hang out with my friends that go to Temple cause Saturday was their homecoming.

It was a great night I got pretty wasted and as the night was winding down around 4am-ish we walked over to 7-11 to get some food. While we were walking there I kind of fell behind the group for whatever reason then next thing I know this guy was tapping me on the shoulder. I turn around and its this about 40 year old black guy dressed pretty sloppy.

He asks me "Hey I used to be a golden gloves boxer but now I'm stuck living on the street could I get a few dollars."

So I ended up talking to him for 10 or so minutes mention that I'm a boxer too. It turns out he used to actually go to the gym I went to and spar. Hes trained with Bernard Hopkins before and almost made it onto the Olympic team. Unfortunately, things didn't work out for him.

After talking to him for a little while I give him ten dollars. He might have been ripping me off and playing me for my money but whatever its only ten he obviously needs it more then I do. But, it makes you realize that alot of boxers having boxing really to hold their life together. Without it they end up living on the street or in jail or on heavy drugs. Its really sad to see what most guys who used to be boxers become when they lose this sport from their life.

Happens in every sport really. People who don't make it professionally have often dedicated so much of their lives to becoming a pro, that when they don't make it they have nothing to fall back on.

When i devote my whole life to getting a business degree or whatever, I have millions of jobs I could do. If I devote my whole life to playing football, there are maybe 1000 open jobs for me in the world...

There's a dark, seedy, and depressing underbelly to sports that we really don't get to see very often

Comment

Dick Ecklund at 4:18. It is sad to see when boxers fall apart after their careers. I remember seeing an episode of intervention with Rocky Lockridge who is also a crack head now.

Comment

Originally posted by Kball15 View Post
        Happens in every sport really. People who don't make it professionally have often dedicated so much of their lives to becoming a pro, that when they don't make it they have nothing to fall back on.

When i devote my whole life to getting a business degree or whatever, I have millions of jobs I could do. If I devote my whole life to playing football, there are maybe 1000 open jobs for me in the world...

There's a dark, seedy, and depressing underbelly to sports that we really don't get to see very often
        Its really surprising how much sports are apart of peoples lives.

Comment

Sounds like you got played for your money. It's like I've always said, never trust a stinky looking black guy on the streets. If you see him coming walk the other way.

Comment

Originally posted by Orale Vato View Post
            Sounds like you got played for your money. It's like I've always said, never trust a stinky looking black guy on the streets. If you see him coming walk the other way.
            Like I said earlier, he might have been playing me but whether he was telling the truth or lying whatever its only 10 bucks. I like to think I helped out a struggling man.

Comment

Originally posted by sweetpea87 View Post

Dick Ecklund at 4:18. It is sad to see when boxers fall apart after their careers. I remember seeing an episode of intervention with Rocky Lockridge who is also a crack head now.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Blobby View Post
                hahahaha......

Comment

the saddest thing about boxing is how records are built up by fighting low opposition or fighters who are not backed by an investment team guys who actually love the sport and have to work for a living as well..those guys are taken advantage of by the chosen "prospects" and former olympic guys who turn pro and bottom feed for "experience"

Comment

what a waste of $10

The saddest part of boxing for me is how nobody respects boxers anymore or knows anything about boxing outside of pac and floyd.

Comment

Working...
                    X