No announcement yet.

Saddest thing about boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Danny Gunz View Post
    This weekend I was home for break from school. So, last night I went into the city to hang out with my friends that go to Temple cause Saturday was their homecoming.

It was a great night I got pretty wasted and as the night was winding down around 4am-ish we walked over to 7-11 to get some food. While we were walking there I kind of fell behind the group for whatever reason then next thing I know this guy was tapping me on the shoulder. I turn around and its this about 40 year old black guy dressed pretty sloppy.

He asks me "Hey I used to be a golden gloves boxer but now I'm stuck living on the street could I get a few dollars."

So I ended up talking to him for 10 or so minutes mention that I'm a boxer too. It turns out he used to actually go to the gym I went to and spar. Hes trained with Bernard Hopkins before and almost made it onto the Olympic team. Unfortunately, things didn't work out for him.

After talking to him for a little while I give him ten dollars. He might have been ripping me off and playing me for my money but whatever its only ten he obviously needs it more then I do. But, it makes you realize that alot of boxers having boxing really to hold their life together. Without it they end up living on the street or in jail or on heavy drugs. Its really sad to see what most guys who used to be boxers become when they lose this sport from their life.
    That's a great story TS. A lot of these champs wouldn't be **** without boxing. It sucks for those who couldn't make it.

Comment

Working...
    X