Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Disturbing Trend - Sugar Ray Leonard Haters!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sin City View Post
    Leonard is one of those guys that you either like or you dont.. kind of like De La Hoya.
    There's a large amount of people on here who don't care for him because they regard him as a drama queen but it's really nothing new.
    Agreed. I don't like either.

Comment

Originally posted by retnuocllup View Post
      and if there was a prime Aaron Pryor at 140, SRL would refuse to fight him
      Did you know Pryor priced himself out apparently? Leonard gave him an offer, but he refused.

This is what some people say, and there is suppose to be a clip of it.

Originally posted by Big Dunn View Post
      SUgar ray Leonard was protected by the media to a degree that sickens me. Same for ODH. The truth was hidden because they both generated significant revenue. Floyd is not protected by the media.

Besides, its funny the poster use the word defend whenevr a floyd fan disagrees with them or points out the fallacies in their arguments.
      Yet look at their resume. Yes, Leonard waited for Hagler to get old, but he had more disadvantages to begin with.

And ODLH fought everyone. They are both deserving of great respect.

Comment

Originally posted by retnuocllup View Post
        and if there was a prime Aaron Pryor at 140, SRL would refuse to fight him

Do give us your source as to Ray Leonard ducking Pryor,I'd personally love to see this.I could give you a source,from Pryor himself,that he turned down a career high purse to fight Leonard.

Your problem is that you're a newb.A newb discussing a topic that he is so clearly stupid and ignorant about.

Yes it does. he waited 5 yrs to fight Marvin. He wouldn't fight Pryor because Aaron gave him fits in the amatuers/olympic boxoffs.

Leonard retired with a legitimate injury,one that has ended the careers of many fighters.He was no more obligated to fight Hagler than Hagler was to fight Michael Spinks and Dwight Qawi.Difference is,Leonard did fight Hagler,Hagler never had the sack to fight someone bigger than him.

Leonard wouldn't fight Pryor because:

A) Pryor wasn't ranked in Leonard's weight division,had achieved nothing to create a high demand for a fight while Leonard was active

B) Pryor didn't want to him him,turning down a career high purse in doing so.

I suggest you and the other newb stick to a topic that are a little more on your level in future,boy.

Comment

Leonard has many respecters, but not that many fans, although it does not seem to bother Ray, infact i love the way he sticks two fingers upto his detractors with a smile, when he basically admits things like, stealing rounds against Hagler, making the rematch with Duran so quickly cause he knew Duran might be out of shape given that he is known to balloon inbetween fights.

Ray makes no excuses, if you dont like him then thats your prerogative, he knows everyone respects him cause his achievements dictate that you must respect him.

Comment

Originally posted by prinzemanspopa View Post
            Do give us your source as to Ray Leonard ducking Pryor,I'd personally love to see this.I could give you a source,from Pryor himself,that he turned down a career high purse to fight Leonard.

Your problem is that you're a newb.A newb discussing a topic that he is so clearly stupid and ignorant about.

Leonard retired with a legitimate injury,one that has ended the careers of many fighters.He was no more obligated to fight Hagler than Hagler was to fight Michael Spinks and Dwight Qawi.Difference is,Leonard did fight Hagler,Hagler never had the sack to fight someone bigger than him.

Leonard wouldn't fight Pryor because:

A) Pryor wasn't ranked in Leonard's weight division,had achieved nothing to create a high demand for a fight while Leonard was active

B) Pryor didn't want to him him,turning down a career high purse in doing so.

I suggest you and the other newb stick to a topic that are a little more on your level in future,boy.
            With all due respect there is a video with Aaron Pryor discussing how he turned down the payday. The video was made well after it happened. When pryor called leonard out leonard didn't take fight, offering it to Aaron at least 2 years after the confrontation at the podium. I know the video and the above because I was there. I am far from a newb my brotha!

We agree leonard didn't have to fight Marvin, but to hold the fake press conference and to announce his retirement then waot 5 years was bogus IMO.

Comment

We agree leonard didn't have to fight Marvin, but to hold the fake press conference and to announce his retirement then waot 5 years was bogus IMO.
              For all of you ignorant newbies, the reason Leonard took so long to fight Hagler was because he had a detached retina.

Now, years before Leonard a detached retina was not curable and a career ender. But sometime into Leonard's retirement someone found a miraculous cure and that's why Leonard was able to fight Hagler years and years later. But it was still risky considering it was still a brand new scientific discovery at the time.

Just thought you guys ought to know.

Comment

Originally posted by Flomo Tard View Post
                For all of you ignorant newbies, the reason Leonard took so long to fight Hagler was because he had a detached retina.

Now, years before Leonard a detached retina was not curable and a career ender. But sometime into Leonard's retirement someone found a miraculous cure and that's why Leonard was able to fight Hagler years and years later. But it was still risky considering it was still a brand new scientific discovery at the time.

Just thought you guys ought to know.
                Respectfully, I am no newbie. Leonard def had a detached retina. That is not why he waited to make the fight. Hagler was a great champion but wasn't anywhere near a household name. It was business.

Comment

As popular as Leonard was, he's always had his "haters". Every successful athlete does.

Leonard got a lot of criticism in the late 80s for the Lalonde fight (I believe it was Gil Clancy in a Ring Mag interview who called it a sham). He also did for "ducking" Michael Nunn (at least that's what everyone would say nowadays on the boards if this happened) in 1989 and instead taking part in more lucrative matches with a supposedly shot Tommy Hearns, and then that horrible rubber match with Roberto Duran. His next fight with Terry Norris ended up doing poor MSG ticket sales.

And please, when will this damn Legendary Nights myth of Leonard ducking Pryor end? Pryor TURNED DOWN the fight, not Leonard. His previous career high was $40k for the Cervantes fight. He turned down half a million.

"OOhhh, Pryor challenged him in front of the media!"

Press conference fans and their ridiculous obsession with "calling out". Fights are made with contracts involving lawyers and big dollars, not a damn microphone and video camera.

Comment

With all due respect there is a video with Aaron Pryor discussing how he turned down the payday. The video was made well after it happened. When pryor called leonard out leonard didn't take fight, offering it to Aaron at least 2 years after the confrontation at the podium. I know the video and the above because I was there. I am far from a newb my brotha!
                    Pryor talked about the offer after he beat Lenny Blackmoore in June 1981. Since Leonard was tied up from June 1980 to November 1980 with the Duran fights, most likely the offer from the Leonard camp was early 1981. Leonard had only been a champion a year at that point, winning the WBC WW title from Benitez at the end of 1979.

Pryor says "I just beat the #1 contender in my division, I have nothing to prove there". Pryor didn't become a champion until August 1980 against Cervantes (same night as Hearns-Cuevas). There were no top ranted contenders Pryor was beating in late 1978, early 1979, two years before the offer. This may have been around the Benitez fight in late 1979 as that fight was at Caesar's Palace, but it would seem a bizarre comment to say that you have nothing to prove in your division when you're still a contender (and surely none of Pryor's victims up to that point were #1 contenders).

It was most likely in 1980, a few months before getting the offer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkueYMWWxuc#t=7m10s

Remember he made Hearns wait 2 years before they fought. People forget that, especially those on this board b1tching about floyd taking vacation.

Look, I'm not going to **** on his competition at all. Great boxer. But I was never nor will I ever be a fan.
                    The fight took place a year and a month after Hearns win his WBA WW belt from Cuevas. Leonard wasn't even a champion then, he had just lost to Duran. He didn't get his title back until November 1980, ten months before he and Hearns fought. He may have been in discussions with Hearns's camp around two years before, but there's always discussions with other camps. Especially if you're a box office draw, you got to pick and choose your opponents because everyone wants the big fight.

I don't see how we should blame a guy for choosing to go after the championship (if Hearns discussions were in 1979), or for not fighting him in the 7 month period between the Benitez win and Duran loss. It's a short time period, Duran was not only a bigger name, but also beat a better fighter at WW in Palomino than the still up-and-coming Hearns did (and ever did at 147 for that matter).
                    Last edited by Thread Stealer; 08-27-2010, 01:11 AM.

Comment

anyone who claims Leonard ducked pryor is a moron. He fought Hagler, Hearns, Duran ... sure pryor was brill but come on get real.

Sugar Ray L is one of the p4p all time greats end of story. He fought in an era with a couple of guys any one of which would have been the number 1 in almost any other era and he got wins over them all.

Square up Mayweather or Pacman against Tommy Hearns and see what happens

Comment

Working...
                      X