Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chavez Jr. vs. Cotto: Is Julio going to get destroyed or what?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chavez Jr. vs. Cotto: Is Julio going to get destroyed or what?

I’ve been curious about the career of Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. (41-0-1, 30 KO’s), and have been wondering when his promoter Bob Arum would finally put him in with a good opponent after seven years of facing exclusively B level fighters. I figured that Arum would at least put Chavez Jr. in with a decent top tier fighter before throwing him to the dogs to be ripped apart. But instead, Arum is going to not take any risks and just throw Chavez Jr. in with WBA junior middleweight champion Miguel Cotto (35-2, 28 KO’s) on December 4th, despite Chavez Jr. having faced no one worth mentioning other than B level fighter John Duddy.

That just makes me think that Arum has no faith in Chavez and doesn’t want to take a risk by putting him in with a good top tier fighter fighter like Alfredo Angulo, Kelly Pavlik, Roman Karmazin, Pawel Wolak, Kermit Cintron, Daniel Jacobs, or Gennady Golovkin. At least if Chavez had fought one of those guys, we’d know what he’s made of and would have a pretty good idea how he’d do against Cotto. Based on only the win over fringe contender Duddy, I think Chavez is going to get royally beaten to a pulp, and I can only imagine how much this fight will go for on pay per view.

Since it’s no doubt going to be a PPV bout, I would prefer that both fighters have cut their teeth on top level opposition during their career instead of just one of them (Cotto). Since Chavez Jr. is going from B level cuisine to top of grade, I don’t see how this fight can be a PPV bout. If it’s going to be a likely slaughter, I would prefer the fight be for free on regular HBO, if they’re interesting in show the fight. I guess HBO will want to show the fight so that they can take advantage of Cotto’s large fan base and the many fans of former boxing legend Julio Cesar Chavez, who just happens to be the father of Chavez Jr.

Chavez Jr. didn’t show me anything in his win over Duddy that would make me think he can somehow beat Cotto or even be competitive with him. What I saw of Chavez Jr. in the Duddy fight was a plodder, with decent power, average hand speed, a fragile chin and horrible defensive skills. If Cotto opens up with anything hard in the early going, I see him blasting Chavez apart in no time flat. I know Freddie Roach is going to have Chavez running, but I don’t think he’s going to be able to run fast enough or long enough to keep Cotto from catching up to him and beating him up and sending him home to Mexico.

link

to be honest..i wouldnt be surprised is chavez beats cotto ..not sure why people think this kid cant fight

Comment

joke chavezjr. has always been second tier. except in the eyes of wresling
      fans. being forced by dad to stick with it.

he's finaly cashing in his chips. the best he can do is go down in flames against cotto. even in a loss jr will gain statis with his type of fans.

and since he's fighting stateside no more cheating on the scale.

Comment

For Arum, it was either have him get beat up by someone like Pavlik for less money, or someone like Cotto for more money. He would have thrown him in with Pac if he could have. He wanted the biggest cash out fight available. Chavez will lose but can still sell ppv's to Mexicans who will support him until he is an old man figuring that he was just too green for Cotto, but will only get better. There is always a fluke chance that Chavez finds a way to beat Cotto, but odds are he gets battered until the towel is thrown in.

Comment

so he should fight a 160 pavlik(former middleweight champ) instead of a 154 cotto???am i missing something here??

Comment

Originally posted by LARRYX P4P#1 View Post
            to be honest..i wouldnt be surprised is chavez beats cotto ..not sure why people think this kid cant fight
            even on an off night cotto beats the holy flahooky out of jr.
            look at jrs. resume man. all second and third tiers.
            of coarse cotto isnt the same but...

Comment

I think it should be a pretty even fight. Julio is a young fresh guy and Cotto has been in a lot of wars. Cotto should be the favorite and I'll root for him. Btw, Cotto should ask for OST just to piss Ariza and Roach.

Comment

i aint gonna guarantee it....................like some idiot fanboys usually do..................but im feeling confident about this............havent been this confident since ............since floyd fought a 38 year old shane............tbh

Comment

Originally posted by STRUGG View Post
                  i aint gonna guarantee it....................like some idiot fanboys usually do..................but im feeling confident about this............havent been this confident since ............since floyd fought a 38 year old shane............tbh
                  ?????????how did you manage to mention floyd in this thread??

Comment

I don't think junior is gonna get anhililated like everyone thinks. Cotto should win a competative fight but I wouldn't be suprised if junior wins but knowing the brain dead idiots on this board he still wont be given any credit for the win.

Someone will come up wit a dillusional excuse or two.

Comment

Working...
                    X