Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone mad that American fighters are starting to get their butts kicked?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not in the least. I don't care where you are from, if you put on a show I will like watching it.

Comment

Originally posted by kaspa9t9 View Post
      Cotto is Puerto Rican bro
      Puerto Ricans are naturalized American citizens...

Comment

Originally posted by JmH Reborn View Post
        Puerto Ricans are naturalized American citizens...
        So what nationality do you think Miguel would claim if you asked him what nationality he was?

Comment

Paul Williams comes to fight, he will always be around...win or loss

Andre Ward's very good...Dirrell as well...

I can't say I see any stars(personality wise)...don't think any of these guys have that kind of personality...if the fights are good it may not matter tho

Comment

It's disappointing, but I don't root exclusively for Americans. I find myself rooting for a lot of Cuban fighters because I really enjoy watching the styles of guys like Gamboa, Lara, Rigondeaux, etc. Also, just because some American boxers have lost lately doesn't mean they can't bounce back and re-establish themselves. Devon Alexander didn't even lose his fight and still belongs in the conversation.

It was a controversial decision in the eyes of many, I certainly recognize that, but he's still one of the best at 140 and he deserves to be mentioned. We've also got Paul Williams, Shane Mosley, and Andre Berto.

I agree wholeheartedly, however, about feeling frustrated over the lackadaisacal style guys like Dawson flash in their fights. Tonight, he was fighting like he had a comfortable lead on the scorecards when in reality he needed a late stoppage. And as Emanuel Steward kept saying, he would take vacations after stringing combinations together and hurting Pascal.

Very, very frustrating to see him fight without a sense of urgency until it was too late.

Comment

Originally posted by IlostMyAccount View Post
              I kind of am... Its very disappointing, now we got only Timothy Bradley for the most part. And its not even just about these guys losing their 0's, its more about how they lose their fights. I mean they lose them so embarrassingly at times, that it doesn't even seem like they're trying to win the fight at times. Like what I don't get is fighters who give rounds away and don't put 100 percent into every single round, they should be trying to win the rounds. But alot of the times it appears that they don't mind losing rounds.

And I can't stand some fighters who just look for the KO from the opening bell, but doesn't realize boxing is about winning rounds. I mean if the KO comes, it comes. But if it doesn't, atleast pile up rounds. And then I hate those boxers who don't mix their punches up to confuse their opponents. Like some boxers will only head-hunt and rarely try to go to the body.

I voted yes because I am almost always rooting for the American fighters when they go up against foreigners. I wouldn't say they have been "getting their butts kicked", but I know what you mean. I had Kotelnik winning that bout against Alexander. Alexander is still very young though, never stopped trying to win every round and should improve. The guys like Dawson are the ones who really infuriate me. He had no business making that fight close. The funny thing is, I had it 5-5 after 10, so obviously he won 6-5 on my card after dominating the 11th, but I still lost a ton of respect for him. I didn't lose any respect for Alexander, but I have lost a ton of respect for Chad. Despite the fact that he got unlucky (the headbutt which stopped it at a horrible time for him) and the fight was close enough to go either way, I just feel like he showed a lack of heart, desire or any sense of urgency.

I watched Jeff Lacy get completely destroyed by Calzaghe, but never lost any respect for him whatsoever. That was a fight I really looked forward to, Lacy being my favorite fighter and me thinking he was gonna KO Calzaghe (who I did realize was a very good fighter). Well, after 12 rounds of complete ownage, I never lost any respect for Lacy. By the way, Lacy, please retire. In fact, jump in a time machine and retire a few years ago. Please.

Look at the bright side. We are completely dominating the Super 6. Ward is head and shoulders better than anyone else in the tourney, and even Dirrell has owned the two Euros he has faced.
              Last edited by APryor; 08-15-2010, 01:07 AM.

Comment

I don't care at all to be honest. If I lived in a small nation that rarely has a big name fighter I may care more. I want to see the best fighters. I don't really care about their background, what language they speak, or what they look like.

Comment

Originally posted by RimmyDelicious View Post
                  So what nationality do you think Miguel would claim if you asked him what nationality he was?
                  I have no doubt that he would say he's Puerto Rican, still doesn't change the fact that at the end of the day he's American, and he's celebrated a great deal on the mainland here and I'm sure he's proud of that fact too.

That's like saying Oscar De La Hoya isn't American despite his many attempts to claim his mexican nationality as his primary...he was born on American soil, like Cotto and is American. He's Puerto Rican American, simple enough, just like me!

Comment

no im not mad. i LOVE IT!

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Malone View Post
                      I don't care at all to be honest. If I lived in a small nation that rarely has a big name fighter I may care more. I want to see the best fighters. I don't really care about their background, what language they speak, or what they look like.
                      Do the delusional European fans here piss you off though?

I hate European fighters now (especially Western European). If anyone from the Western Hemisphere (outside of a Cuban, who I love to see fail as pros so we don't have to hear BS about the ******* who box in the Olympics) fights a European, I will be rooting for them big time. That even goes for Mexicans.

I did like Rickey Hatton though.

Haha, it's a pretty simple system but there's a few small exceptions.
                      Last edited by APryor; 08-15-2010, 01:15 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X