Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would a kickboxer have to do to...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would a kickboxer have to do to...

...Transition to boxing?

Also what does a kickboxer lack that boxers posess and why did zab judahs dad who was a WORLD CHAMPION in kickboxing did so awful in boxing while his son went far???

Originally posted by Box"K"ing View Post
    ...Transition to boxing?

Also what does a kickboxer lack that boxers posess and why did zab judahs dad who was a WORLD CHAMPION in kickboxing did so awful in boxing while his son went far???
    Vitali was a kickboxer. A study of him might provide some insight.

Comment

Use more foot work since you dont gotta use them as a striking weapon

Comment

stop kicking...

Comment

Troy Dorsey made a successful transition from kickboxing to boxing. The only man in history to hold world titles in both karate and boxing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troy_Dorsey

Comment

they simply have to be much better with their hands than with their legs in the kickboxing matches.

the best kickboxer that Ive ever seen have success in boxing was Samart Payakaroon, who is basically a legend in kickboxing. one of the best ever. and if you watch some of his kickboxign matches, a lot of his KOs were due to his fists(although of course he could kick as well)

although he got the living crap kicked out of him by Jeff Fenech in four rounds, he did become a bantamweight champion in the 80s breifly, which I definitely consider as 'success'.

you actualyl dont necessarily need kicks to be successful in kickboxing(well, you need to know the basics, I jsut mean you dont need your style to be centered around kicks)...and those in kickboxing who primarily rely on their fists CAN make the transition much easier than those who rely primarily on kicks.

Comment

I've studied JEET KUNE DO eons ago and this could help, I hope. Jeet Kune Do (Bruce Lee's martial art concept) worked with 4 ranges, namely:

• Kicking Range
              • Boxing Range
              • Trapping Range
              • Grappling

The name of the game is to have the skill sets of "transitioning" from one range to the other without losing balance, leverage, and efficiency. The seamless phases is where I can say it could help you.

From the Kickboxing Range to the Boxing Range, obviously shows the element of the KICKING as the weapon. The Kickboxing range must see that he can operate within that range and while utilizing the LEG as the main reference point of reach.

Therefore STANCES comes into play. The kickboxing range have specific skill set to use the LEG as the "jab" whereas in boxing range, the length of one's arm reach.

In the kickboxing range, the footwork is about being able to switch both leads and having the lead leg as your jab meant that you are more accustomed to having a SIDE STANCE for those side kicks.

In Boxing, it can be similar. The SIDE STANCE is utilized on using the JAB as you move laterally and only "squaring" your distance, relationship with your opponent to "mix it up".

If you see Muhammad Ali or even Floyd Jr., you can see that they rarely "square" up against an opponent a la' Roberto Duran (who is a slugger). They utilize the jab, space and the ring as part of their ringmanship.

They are "defensive" in nature that they JAB and angle away from the opponent's leverage of counters. And rarely "squares" against an opponent. (Reference to your shoulders in being "squared" against your opponents' front. They often clinch when they get into the "slugging" zone.

But your kickboxing skills comes into play having that "boxer" mentality of defense I have mentioned above. But obviously you have to develop the reference of your lead jabs and then engaging with the close range inorder to throw the plethora of:

• hooks and uppercuts

Depending on the style you seek or your attributes...these are the basic skill sets one must develop.

Hope that helps and good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by blackirish137 View Post
                they simply have to be much better with their hands than with their legs in the kickboxing matches.

the best kickboxer that Ive ever seen have success in boxing was Samart Payakaroon, who is basically a legend in kickboxing. one of the best ever. and if you watch some of his kickboxign matches, a lot of his KOs were due to his fists(although of course he could kick as well)

although he got the living crap kicked out of him by Jeff Fenech in four rounds, he did become a bantamweight champion in the 80s breifly, which I definitely consider as 'success'.

you actualyl dont necessarily need kicks to be successful in kickboxing(well, you need to know the basics, I jsut mean you dont need your style to be centered around kicks)...and those in kickboxing who primarily rely on their fists CAN make the transition much easier than those who rely primarily on kicks.
                What you say is true, but also I am wondering do kickboxers punch differently then boxers in a sense that does being squared up as oppose to being standing sideways, does that effect the power and delivery of punches????

Comment

I think the problem lots of people have between transitioning between sports like Kickboxing, Boxing and MMA is the positioning of the feet. In MMa your usually square on (compared to boxers) because you need to make sure that you don't get your legs kicked out from under you and because you have to be able to defend takedowns. The MMA stance also means you telegraph your punches.

Kickboxers tend to dangle their front foot out and bounce on their front foot like a feint, but this means less power in punches and again it's easier to read an opponent but harder to kick their legs out front under them because they don't put their weight on their front foot unless they are going for a strike.

Boxers obviously have different stances but they tend to be more wide and side on easier to kick the front foot out from them but harder to time but more power, less telegraphing etc.

Obviously there more than that but thats one of the factors I think and obviously not all fighters use a generic stance.

Comment

other people have already mentioned Samarat and Vitali...Sot Chitalada was another one that was able to successfully make the transition

Comment

Working...
                    X