No announcement yet.

What would a kickboxer have to do to...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fabie View Post
    I've studied JEET KUNE DO eons ago and this could help, I hope. Jeet Kune Do (Bruce Lee's martial art concept) worked with 4 ranges, namely:

• Kicking Range
    • Boxing Range
    • Trapping Range
    • Grappling

The name of the game is to have the skill sets of "transitioning" from one range to the other without losing balance, leverage, and efficiency. The seamless phases is where I can say it could help you.

From the Kickboxing Range to the Boxing Range, obviously shows the element of the KICKING as the weapon. The Kickboxing range must see that he can operate within that range and while utilizing the LEG as the main reference point of reach.

Therefore STANCES comes into play. The kickboxing range have specific skill set to use the LEG as the "jab" whereas in boxing range, the length of one's arm reach.

In the kickboxing range, the footwork is about being able to switch both leads and having the lead leg as your jab meant that you are more accustomed to having a SIDE STANCE for those side kicks.

In Boxing, it can be similar. The SIDE STANCE is utilized on using the JAB as you move laterally and only "squaring" your distance, relationship with your opponent to "mix it up".

If you see Muhammad Ali or even Floyd Jr., you can see that they rarely "square" up against an opponent a la' Roberto Duran (who is a slugger). They utilize the jab, space and the ring as part of their ringmanship.

They are "defensive" in nature that they JAB and angle away from the opponent's leverage of counters. And rarely "squares" against an opponent. (Reference to your shoulders in being "squared" against your opponents' front. They often clinch when they get into the "slugging" zone.

But your kickboxing skills comes into play having that "boxer" mentality of defense I have mentioned above. But obviously you have to develop the reference of your lead jabs and then engaging with the close range inorder to throw the plethora of:

• hooks and uppercuts

Depending on the style you seek or your attributes...these are the basic skill sets one must develop.

Hope that helps and good luck!
    you beat me too it!

I just made a post about stances!

Comment

Originally posted by Ryn0 View Post
      you beat me too it!

I just made a post about stances!
      It's all good....we posted the same idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Box"K"ing View Post
        What you say is true, but also I am wondering do kickboxers punch differently then boxers in a sense that does being squared up as oppose to being standing sideways, does that effect the power and delivery of punches????
        Id love to give you a concrete answer, but it really depends on the guy in question. everyone punches differently.

being squared up like that keeps the kick distance the same, but limits the punching range to short. plus that wider boxing stance is impossible to stay balanced on when kicking(after all, youre on one leg when you kick, that kills your equilibrium)

Ive seen guys in kickboxing simply step through the kicking range and rain hell on the opponent from that mid range.

I dont think Ive answered your question at all lol but heres the best thing I can say: if youre a kickboxer trying to transition to boxing with that wider kickboxing stance, your only chance is to square up and get close. its rare you see 'boxer' type kickboxes have any sort of success in boxing.
        after all, you see infighters in boxing take up a wider, more square stance sometimes, right? really the only way for a kickboxer to effectively transition, imo.

Comment

I've studied JEET KUNE DO eons ago and this could help, I hope. Jeet Kune Do (Bruce Lee's martial art concept) worked with 4 ranges, namely:

• Kicking Range
          • Boxing Range
          • Trapping Range
          • Grappling

The name of the game is to have the skill sets of "transitioning" from one range to the other without losing balance, leverage, and efficiency. The seamless phases is where I can say it could help you.

From the Kickboxing Range to the Boxing Range, obviously shows the element of the KICKING as the weapon. The Kickboxing range must see that he can operate within that range and while utilizing the LEG as the main reference point of reach.

Therefore STANCES comes into play. The kickboxing range have specific skill set to use the LEG as the "jab" whereas in boxing range, the length of one's arm reach.

In the kickboxing range, the footwork is about being able to switch both leads and having the lead leg as your jab meant that you are more accustomed to having a SIDE STANCE for those side kicks.

In Boxing, it can be similar. The SIDE STANCE is utilized on using the JAB as you move laterally and only "squaring" your distance, relationship with your opponent to "mix it up".

If you see Muhammad Ali or even Floyd Jr., you can see that they rarely "square" up against an opponent a la' Roberto Duran (who is a slugger). They utilize the jab, space and the ring as part of their ringmanship.

They are "defensive" in nature that they JAB and angle away from the opponent's leverage of counters. And rarely "squares" against an opponent. (Reference to your shoulders in being "squared" against your opponents' front. They often clinch when they get into the "slugging" zone.

But your kickboxing skills comes into play having that "boxer" mentality of defense I have mentioned above. But obviously you have to develop the reference of your lead jabs and then engaging with the close range inorder to throw the plethora of:

• hooks and uppercuts

Depending on the style you seek or your attributes...these are the basic skill sets one must develop.

Hope that helps and good luck!
          This is pretty good info and you are right mentality does come in to play

Comment

Originally posted by blackirish137 View Post
            they simply have to be much better with their hands than with their legs in the kickboxing matches.

the best kickboxer that Ive ever seen have success in boxing was Samart Payakaroon, who is basically a legend in kickboxing. one of the best ever. and if you watch some of his kickboxign matches, a lot of his KOs were due to his fists(although of course he could kick as well)

although he got the living crap kicked out of him by Jeff Fenech in four rounds, he did become a bantamweight champion in the 80s breifly, which I definitely consider as 'success'.

you actualyl dont necessarily need kicks to be successful in kickboxing(well, you need to know the basics, I jsut mean you dont need your style to be centered around kicks)...and those in kickboxing who primarily rely on their fists CAN make the transition much easier than those who rely primarily on kicks.
            I guess you meant that Vitali were the best kickboxer in boxing ;-)

Comment

Aside from footwork which has already been mentioned the use of head movement would also have to be more exaggerated. The majority of kickboxing fights I see it's typical for fighters to either just block punches with their guard or parry; rarely do I ever see bobbing and weaving or slips (understandable cause no one wants to duck in to a knee or a kick to the head)

Comment

Originally posted by Box"K"ing View Post
                This is pretty good info and you are right mentality does come in to play
                Thanks, and I wish you much luck. If I may ask, what kind of a kickboxer are you? The same as I have described?

Do you like to stay "outside" and "jab" or do you like mixing it up? Or both?

Comment

Thanks, and I wish you much luck. If I may ask, what kind of a kickboxer are you? The same as I have described?

Do you like to stay "outside" and "jab" or do you like mixing it up? Or both?
                  Its kinda of weird to answer, well what happend is that I started with boxing but the guy that taught boxing wasent really showing me real boxing just bunch of stuff flashy stuff you see on tv which ****ed me up when I went to a real boxing gym and not to mention the guy hated teaching anyway.

So it turned out the boxing gym although it was a really good gym it was to far and the time wasent meshing in with my work so I met this kickboxer with that absolutly LOVES to teach and my hand speed,power,footwork everything started getting better.

Which got me thinking how would some kickboxers do in boxing because so far I have met some kickboxers that waaaaaaaaay better hand speed technical punching then boxer so it got me curious what these guys have to do to make it to boxing and hence why I made this thread.

From my exprience as well as your post, the stance really does change with the game but at the same time transition and adaptibility is the key. Also another reason I made this thread was that seeing zab judah being trained by a kickboxing father and his father happen to be 7th degree black belt and yet doing so bad got me thinking what went wrong for yoel and why do some kickboxers do better then others.

Really I was just trying to find the missing link in cross over success...

Comment

Working...
                  X