Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dan Rafael ranks Judah #5 at JWW(140).

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dan Rafael ranks Judah #5 at JWW(140).

Dan Rafael's JWW rankings.

Do you agree with this list?

1. Timothy Bradley Jr. (26-0)

In a test run at welterweight, Bradley made his HBO debut and dominated hard-charging Luis Carlos Abregu for a lopsided decision victory on July 17. Although Bradley understandably called out Manny Pacquiao, the reality is that Bradley is headed back to junior welterweight to defend his title, hopefully in a big fight with Devon Alexander or even Amir Khan.
    Next: Next: TBA.

2. Devon Alexander (20-0)

Alexander looked spectacular knocking out Juan Urango in the eighth round to unify titles March 6 in his HBO debut. Now, Alexander will return home to St. Louis to face former titleholder Andreas Kotelnik on HBO. A win could propel Alexander into another unification fight with Bradley in January.
    Next: Aug. 7 vs. Kotelnik.

3. Amir Khan (23-1)

Khan's May 15 American debut was a smashing success, as the flashy Brit came to New York and dazzled. He was utterly dominant in an 11th-round TKO of former titlist Paulie Malignaggi in Malignaggi's hometown. Plans were in the works for Khan to fight again July 31 in England, but that's been scrapped and he'll return in the fall, possibly against Bradley.
    Next: TBA.

4. Marcos Maidana (28-1)

Argentina's big-punching Maidana looked great knocking out Victor Cayo on HBO on March 27, but issues with his management messed up a planned summer fight with Bradley. Maidana, who seemingly has worked out the issues, plans to return to defend his belt at home in Argentina against former titlist DeMarcus "Chop Chop" Corley (37-13-1).
    Next: Aug. 28 vs. Corley.

5. Zab Judah (39-6)

In his first fight back with original promoter Main Events, the former undisputed welterweight champ blew out Jose Armando Santa Cruz in three rounds July 16 on ESPN2. It was an impressive performance that announced Judah's return to the red-hot junior welterweight division, where he twice held titles.
    Next: Oct. 2 vs. TBA.

6. Juan Urango (22-3-1)

Urango lost his belt when Alexander knocked him out in the eighth round March 6. An expected return against former lightweight titlist Julio Diaz on Aug. 28 on ESPN2 was scrapped when Urango changed his mind.

7. Lamont Peterson (28-1)

In December, Peterson lost a title shot against Bradley via lopsided decision despite fighting well. In his return April 10, Peterson stopped experienced Damian Fuller in the seventh round.
    Next: TBA

8. Paulie Malignaggi (27-4)

In the wake of his lopsided 11th-round TKO loss to Khan in May, former titlist Malignaggi plans to keep fighting by moving up to welterweight and looking for bouts in his native Italy. However, he'll do it without career-long promoter Lou DiBella after the pair agreed to an amicable split under which Malignaggi is buying out the final two years of DeBella's contract for $75,000.

9. Andreas Kotelnik (31-3-1)

Promoter Don King went all the way to Ukraine to sign Kotelnik, idle since losing his belt to Khan in July 2009, in order to match the former titlist on HBO with Alexander. Kotelnik became the target for Alexander after Maidana refused to fight him. The reasoning was that if Alexander couldn't get Maidana, why not fight the only man to defeat him?
    Next: Aug. 7 vs. Alexander.

10. Victor Ortiz (27-2-1)

Since quitting in a slugfest against Maidana last summer, Ortiz has won three fights in a row, including a shutout 10-round decision against veteran Nate Campbell on the May 15 Khan-Malignaggi undercard. Golden Boy is looking to match him next with former titlist Vivian Harris on the Sept. 18 Shane Mosley-Sergio Mora pay-per-view undercard.
    Next: TBA

I'd like to see Judah - Urango... that would be a good test to gauge him. A tough SOB coming straight at him, I wanna see it.

Comment

Originally posted by reedickyaluss View Post
      I'd like to see Judah - Urango... that would be a good test to gauge him. A tough SOB coming straight at him, I wanna see it.
      And hes a sucker for the uppercut.

You're right a good test.

Comment

Originally posted by reedickyaluss View Post
        Judah vs Maidana is also good. If he beats him, which I think he would, then he is right back in the mix.

Comment

I can't really argue because it's not like it's outrageous to think Judah is a top 5 guy. I honestly see him beating Urango, Kotelnik, Peterson and Malignaggi so I agree he is top 5. Nothing wrong with that, and I actually agree with this list, if we are basing it off of accomplishments, and not talent.

Comment

It's not that bad, I'm not usual a fan of Rafael's rankings. Five seems a bit high, I would think a 9-10 would be more appropriate.

He has some pretty bizarre ones last time I checked.

Comment

I wouldn't even rank him yet, based on skill & so on he could beat most, but he hasn't really proven himself at jww since his return. A fight with Urango or Maidana would definately let us now if he can hang, and most importantly let us know if he can handle getting being in a tough fight and still keep his composure. I still have my doubts about Judah past the 6th round.

Comment

Originally posted by thephantom5 View Post
                And hes a sucker for the uppercut.

You're right a good test.
                Honestly Judah vs Urango was suppose to happen earlier this year, but for some reason Urango ended up fighting Alexander. I never got the story behind that, but more than likely it had to due with Judah as to why that fight never materialized.

Comment

I don't think he should even be ranked considering a 143 catchweight is still Welterweight.

Comment

Good List!

Comment

Working...
                    X