No announcement yet.

The truth of weight training.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
    I never stated that weight training was bad. Heavy lifting though is not the way unless your planning on moving up in weight. Boxing is about endurance, lighter lifting with high reps will build strength and endurance. Heavy lifting builds greater strength but gives little to long term endurance.

People believe that pure strength causes knock outs and therefore believe that heavy lifting would have to help. Now there are some out there who gained their ko's from brute strength but far more ko's are attained by good boxing tactics and hitting the guy when he is not expecting a shot.

I fought penty of "weight lifter" types. End result, they are tired and I'm beating the **** out of them. When I was 16 I fought a guy that was 23 and a body builder type. I remember coming out for the fight and everybodys calling for the blue corner. I was in the red corner. Looking up to the ring I could see why. The guy looked like a little hulk and here I was a skinny 16 year old kid. I easily won the fight scoring a couple of 8 counts and found that I actually caused the guy to quit fighting after the bout.

Stick to low weight and high rep, you'll have extra strength, flexibility and most of all endurance. Brute strength is grossly over rate by the public for fighers..................Rockin'
    I can see where you're coming from and yes you do have a point, I'll admit that. I mix my workout I involve strength training, pylometrics, bodyweight conditioing and running and I will admit that I have gained some weight but I replaced the fat with the muscle. My speed, and power improved and so did my endurance. I also follow a sound diet. That is why I believe in lifting, but only lifting smart.

Comment

Originally posted by Valero 27-0 View Post
      i thought less weight, more reps was the way to go with boxing?
      Not really when you want to build strength.

Comment

Originally posted by One more round View Post
        This is not true.....................Rockin'

Comment

Atleast someone agrees! haha

Comment

I never stated that weight training was bad. Heavy lifting though is not the way unless your planning on moving up in weight. Boxing is about endurance, lighter lifting with high reps will build strength and endurance. Heavy lifting builds greater strength but gives little to long term endurance.

People believe that pure strength causes knock outs and therefore believe that heavy lifting would have to help. Now there are some out there who gained their ko's from brute strength but far more ko's are attained by good boxing tactics and hitting the guy when he is not expecting a shot.

I fought penty of "weight lifter" types. End result, they are tired and I'm beating the **** out of them. When I was 16 I fought a guy that was 23 and a body builder type. I remember coming out for the fight and everybodys calling for the blue corner. I was in the red corner. Looking up to the ring I could see why. The guy looked like a little hulk and here I was a skinny 16 year old kid. I easily won the fight scoring a couple of 8 counts and found that I actually caused the guy to quit fighting after the bout.

Stick to low weight and high rep, you'll have extra strength, flexibility and most of all endurance. Brute strength is grossly over rate by the public for fighers..................Rockin'
            Dude, he probably wasn't lifting properly. These days, we know more about lifting for boxing, and nearly, or in fact pretty much all the top senior amateurs I know have a lifting program based on building strength but not excessive bulk. It doesn't slow you down if you do it properly.

One of THE fastest, most elusive and fluid amateurs I have seen fight lifts weights. He won silver at the World Youth champs this year in case you are doubting how good he is. Watch this dude fight, he is fast as, real long also, and hard to get points on.

If you lift properly, it will only make you stronger.

Comment

Your saying that going from lifting none to say 50% of your max will not build strength? It certainly will build strength and more so endurance. In boxing being the man with the endurance left will make you plenty strong. May I ask where you get your theories from?..................Rockin'

Comment

Originally posted by BigBoss42695 View Post
                So basically strength training will only work for the boxer that doesn't have trouble making weight? Plus multiple reps builds endurance not strength.
                on their off seasons why not, but if they were going into a fight this should not be recommended.

and heavy weights are only good if you are moving up to a higher weight class because you are allowed a higher caloric intake and you will gain weight still. 1-5 reps to failure minimizes muscle gain, but you will still have the weight gain.

and strength gains will almost NEVER occur if one's caloric intakes are at a minimum,
                that's why powerlifters are fat.

and i never stated that multiple reps would equal strength.

so i don't know what you are trying to correct bro

Comment

This is not true.....................Rockin'
                  When you're training for strength you're working your nervous system. Did you know this. Endurance training is metabolic.

Comment

Thread starter,

Did you happen to read Ross Enamait's books? Because is seems what your touching on are common themes he discusses, which I agree with as far as doing a combination of strengh, power (1-5 reps) and muscle endurance (12-15 reps) opposed to focusing too much on hypertrophy (8-12 reps) when it comes to boxing training.

Comment

Originally posted by mr.applesauce View Post
                      on their off seasons why not, but if they were going into a fight this should not be recommended.

and heavy weights are only good if you are moving up to a higher weight class because you are allowed a higher caloric intake and you will gain weight still. 1-5 reps to failure minimizes muscle gain, but you will still have the weight gain.

and strength gains will almost NEVER occur if one's caloric intakes are at a minimum,
                      that's why powerlifters are fat.

and i never stated that multiple reps would equal strength.

so i don't know what you are trying to correct bro
                      Sorry about the "Multiple reps works endurance' thing. So what if you lift heavy loads, boost up your calorie intake and also boost up your cardio...?

Comment

Working...
                      X