No announcement yet.

Foreman seeks rematch after knee surgery

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foreman seeks rematch after knee surgery

NEW YORK (JTA) -- Yuri Foreman says he wants a rematch with Miguel Cotto following surgery to repair the torn meniscus he suffered in their first bout.

Referee Arthur Mercante Jr. stopped Saturday's World Boxing Association super-welterweight title match at Yankee Stadium in the ninth round when the champion Foreman could not continue because of the injury to his right knee. Foreman, an Orthodox Jew and rabbinical student, had wrenched the knee two rounds earlier in an awkward fall.

"Yes, I want a rematch," Foreman told the New York Post. "My last performance was not what it could have been. It was far from my potential."

According to the Post, Foreman suffered a torn meniscus and stretched a ligament in his right knee.

"The surgery will show if I need surgery on the ligament in the front of the knee," Foreman said.

Foreman, a Belarus native now living in Brooklyn, N.Y., lost his first bout after going 28-0 with one no decision. He was trailing on all three judges' cards when the fight was stopped.

The knee injury prevented Foreman from his trademark side-to-side movement and left him vulnerable against the hard-hitting Cotto, now a four-time champion.

Yuri was losing even before the knee injury.

A second fight will just be worse for Yuri's knee since he'd be running from start to finish now that he's felt Cotto's power.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePunchingBag View Post
      Yuri was losing even before the knee injury.
      A second fight will just be worse for Yuri's knee since he'd be running from start to finish now that he's felt Cotto's power.
      Sir did you watch the fight?

Comment

Yuris game plan was to step it up in the second part of the fight.
        God know how would it play out

but dont give up on Yuri he will be back after he get his new knee.
        The doc said he wonders how did he get this far with this f..d up knee,
        and he will be punching harder after he can put his weight on it

Comment

Originally posted by Tamis_Siensya View Post
          Sir did you watch the fight?
          Elaborate?

I gave Foreman one round.

Comment

its no more pointless than a cotto pacquiao rematch.

Comment

I wouldn't say he was losing, Foreman was using his legs well but still not throwing much though. No one really won that fight, and Cotto looked far from a better fighter. If Cotto steps back in the ring against a fighter who stays busy and pushes him back, without an improved D it will be Pac/marg all over again, the only difference is that guys would hit harder at 154.

I honestly wouldn't mind seeing Mosley move up and fight Cotto again.

Comment

Originally posted by Squirrel View Post
                Elaborate?

I gave Foreman one round.
                Elaborate??

Yuri wasn't losing before the injury IMO at least. His movement was his BnB and Cotto's just at par with it.

You giving him one round? OK that's your call...

Comment

I see no reason at all to have a rematch.

Foreman should face other contenders or champions.

Go fight Kirkland or something.

Comment

Does anyone know what the judges' scorecards were at the time of the stoppage. Because I felt Yuri was still in the fight at the time of the injury. Cotto looked a bit lost chasing him around the ring and trying to corner him, and I've never seen him miss so much. Had Yuri stepped up his offense in the second half of the fight, he certainly could've pulled it off.

Comment

Working...
                    X