Is Ali a bit overrated ?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• n

Originally posted by tourlou82 View Post
    I'm happy I'm not alone that thought Shavers won.

I agree that he is not overrated by much if he is, that's why I'm being careful, as I personnaly feel he is slightly overrated.

Good post.

His skills were overrated as a boxer but he masterfully dominated and destroyed his oponents mentally before he even got in the ring as a tacticion he was underrated

Comment

• Originally posted by ericj916 View Post
      His skills were overrated as a boxer but he masterfully dominated and destroyed his oponents mentally before he even got in the ring as a tacticion he was underrated
      I agree with this

the mental edge is important, no one knew how to get it like Ali

Comment

• Says alot when so many here can think the best or one of the top two heavyweights ever is overrated. I bet many that said yes have a current champion they really like and feel he is better. HMMMMM

"Best ever">"one of the best now"
        No brainer

Comment

• Originally posted by roxy View Post
          Says alot when so many here can think the best or one of the top two heavyweights ever is overrated. I bet many that said yes have a current champion they really like and feel he is better. HMMMMM

"Best ever">"one of the best now"
          No brainer
          yes, what I feared would happen happened, some Klitards invaded the thread and started bashing Ali to elevate their own idols

Ali >>>>>> the Klits

Comment

• Originally posted by Othello View Post
            Of course he's a bit overrated, he ís boxing's icon after all. Even my grandma knows who Muhammad Ali is. There is no way she has ever even heard about Louis, Dempsey, Marciano, Liston, etc, not to mention all the other greats from other weight classes. My granny representing the masses here.
            being well known =/= to being overrated. That's a clear logical flaw.

Comment

• Originally posted by MmuhammadM View Post
              being well known =/= to being overrated. That's a clear logical flaw.
              No. Being overrated means you're getting more credit than you deserve. You can either say Ali is overrated compared to all the other great boxers, or that all the others are just underrated. I think the latter is better formulated. It still comes down to the same, though.

Comment

• Originally posted by Othello View Post
                No. Being overrated means you're getting more credit than you deserve. You can either say Ali is overrated compared to all the other great boxers, or that all the others are just underrated. I think the latter is better formulated. It still comes down to the same, though.
                "No. Being overrated means you're getting more credit than you deserve." - Of course it does, I never disputed that. I was just correcting the false logic of another user I was replying to.

Ali didn't get more credit than he deserved. He is one of the few fighters in history that actually superseded his hype. He accomplished feats that were deemed impossible by the people in his era. It actually became a consensus before Ali proved them wrong.

Muhammad Ali cannot possibly be overrated, all you have to do is take a look at his resume. It dispels all the myths.
                Last edited by Vadrigar.; 06-04-2010, 05:57 AM.

Comment

• Ali is THE ATG in the minds of most people.

His resummee may be picked at (i.e. XY was half blind, XZ was over the hill, and in the YZ fight he got a gift decision), but as it stands,

* Ali had a time of total dominance,
                  * he defeated several fighters considered ATG fighters,
                  * he brought excitement to the sport as nobody else did (including his wars with Frazier, Norton, Foreman),
                  * made boxing a true mainstream sport,
                  * he was a showman in and out of the ring, who fought his opponents psychologically before the fight,
                  * and what he accomplished for the African Americans can't be overrated.

Regarding these accomplishments, only Louis is of his level of GREATNESS.

Ali accomplished everything what was possible at his time, and perhaps even more, and that's what truly counts.

Comment

Working...
                  X