Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: “Fighting Words” – Free Fights, Pugilistic Piracy: Boxing, Broadcasts and Bootlegs

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't like to buy ppvs anymore because we never know the quality of the boxing match. Too many times guys like floyd, clottey, and other boring boxers act tough and talk big, but when fight night comes, they are so ****ing cautious and defensive that a fight doesn't break out and its more of a friendly game of tag.

other times, the undercards stink. who the **** wants to watch young prospects destroy overmatched opponents? they can do that on espn or fox sports. every undercard should be a good fight.

Comment

With the top boxers making 20 million for a PPV fight, I think that plenty of people are still buying the events.

Comment

Please note:

This article was purely about the economics of the sport. Not about any in-ring competition issues.

Boxing needs to consider the "off-netwokrs" for boxing shows. Places like Versus or OLN. Or even Spike. It was very smart of Zuffa to connect with Spike for TUF.

Those channels have a lower cost structure, and that can justify/offset the lower viewership.

Comment

If hbo and showtime doesnt make fights available for purchase then how can they get mad at others for selling fights you can no longer view?? They took down all the sites that sell boxing collecitons and classic fights.. How else can i get footage of classic fights??!!

Comment

I don't seriously know how prices of ppv's would go down the way everything is structured nowadays..

It definitely is a dilemna but boxing really needs to move into the modern age with the way they promote and take more chances with the internet.

High quality approved streams at reasonable prices seem the way to go.

Comment

I won't buy a PPV if it's not a mega fight, online streams are the way I do it. Most PPV's are bull**** these days anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by snake View Post
                Please...did online streams stop Mayweather and Pacquaio from doing over 1 million buys in their fights? Do online streams keep the UFC's from doing 400,000+ on a regular basis? Pfft.

For the UFC, missing their ppv is not too big a deal as the dvd's of their events are dirt cheap, contain extras and event footage before and after the show, and are easy to get at the store. The dvd's are so affordable there is no reason to steal anything.

The UFC dvd's sell enormously well and are a second huge source of revenue for the company.

Boxing on the other hand has ignored the dvd market and the only way to see any fights at all from the past is on ESPN Classic, or search around on Youtube. No Marquez-Vasquez boxed set of the trilogy with interview extras and behind the scenes footage? Boxing still hasn't caught up with the times.
                I agree boxing's still running an underground operation like dealing drugs. How many people stream the Super Bowl?

Comment

If the media won't supply the fights in the way fans want to view the fights then they will find alternative sources.

Live internet streaming is possible in this day and age and if the costs were cheaper for fans they would buy them.

I don't feel bad for streaming fights in this country because of the way the media treat boxing.

Comment

The **** industry is suffering greatly from piracy also!

Comment

If you are willing to pay 40+ bucks for a Margarito or UFC fight, you have lost already and don't even know it.

Comment

Working...
                      X