Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I Ordered UFC 114 Tonight...And Really? This Is What They Say Is Taking Over Boxing?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can appreciate the skill level, I did watch some of the free fights they showed before the PPV, and there was this one guy who just embarrassed the guy he was fighting with grappling, but it's boring to me, and always has been.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazylegs77 View Post
      I didnt order it.

MMA is not "Taking over boxing"

I think MMA tends to attract those who like fighting for the violence of it and boxing attracts people who are sportsfans or like the skill aspect of it and of course boxing has fans who just love people punching each other too.

I watch MMA on occasion and have been watching the ultimate fighter series sometimes theres some damn good fights but mostly it boils down to 2 guys winging shots and slamming each other around.

Boxing is good the PPVs are getting overpriced and there are alot of uneven boring matchups usually but this year has been pretty good overall so far (except for Kermit crowdsurfing and that finght being ruined)..

theres room for both boxing and mma. Just dont order mma if you dont like it.

how can MMA overtake boxing when every satellite and terrestrial cable buy indicates only a 10-15% overlap in demographic.....that means only 10-15% of the total pool of MMA and boxing fans watch both!!!!!!!

Boxing is forever.........we have history........we have legends.......boxing is a strange sport.....at it's best there isn't another sport on the planet that can touch it (think rumble in the jungle, thrilla in Manila, Gatti vs Ward, Castillo vs Corrales, Tyson) for drama...at it's worst (think homecooking, terrible or inept officiating, fixes, corruption) it is the most frustrating sport to be a fan of........

MMA is ok....but it's still in infancy....comparing the skill level and dedication needed to be in the upper echelons of both sports.....well boxing is way ahead.......

boxing fans need not worry...boxing is in a resurgence.....plenty of fans turn out to see muppets like green and mundine here in Australia......British boxing is alive and well (Froch, Haye, Mitchell, Khan), 60,000 danes come out to watch Kessler, ditto for Bute in Montreal, Klits + AA in Germany.......we have Floyd Mayweather Jr and we have Manny Pacquaio who are both bona fide draws.....

the only thing boxing needs is to become a more professionally run sport.......promoters, sanctioning bodies, judging etc etc.........

PS: *** MMA and all of it's fanboys who post on "B-O-X-I-N-G-S-C-E-N-E"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      Last edited by check hook; 05-30-2010, 05:00 AM.

Comment

Stop being such an insecure sports fan..

Comment

Not a great fight but i enjoyed it.

Comment

I know nothing about MMA/UFC and I dont know who was fighting etc but I mean boxing has some **** fights dude. Now I do hate MMA/UFC and have seen some "fights" and think tht they have limited skill etc but maybe you should watch more than one fight before passing too much judgement, im sure a 1st time watcher of boxing wouldve been put off with the klits stinker.

Comment

My friends said the same thing after watching Pacquiao vs Clottey.

Comment

i can't imagine paying to watch mma

Comment

Didnt see it. MMA is not taking over boxing though

That's for sure...

Comment

It was a good event. But man was Quitton in bad shape!! Worst conditioning ever.

Comment

MMA down the road will lose a **** load of fans because it has evolved. I took a look at Sherdog and most of the fans are complaining and don't understand why their favorite thing isn't delivering, but it's really quite simple. Back a few years ago, MMA was simply a super unskilled fighting style where you had major slop where they would just bar room brawl, wing punches, and give you the blood and crazy knockouts, small gloves would give to you. Now, that main eventers get paid enough to where they can train, wrestling and grappling have taken over, as the easiest way to win and the fans won't like it. It's not a secret that boxing has been here forever, punching is the most pleasing style to the eye but if it's easier to go down to the ground, that is where it will go and the fans will suffer. MMA can never be mainstream or even on the global stage of boxing, simply because MMA evolved equals MMA boring. People are starting to see this.
                      Last edited by Check; 05-30-2010, 07:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X