Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does Floyd have to win 7 titles to be great?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by O.S.I.R.I.S View Post
    Just outta curiousity, why is Armstrong so highly rated on the ATG list? If you could name 3 reasons as to why he is there, what would they be?
    Am guessing its an old school thing, Everything old school is suppose to mean more than nowadays, In those days you dont have 10 belts in one division, In those days you dont have the power to restrict your opponents weight, In those days if you are a welterweight that wanted to challenge a middleweight thats exactly what you do etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Ravishing View Post
      Titles still mean something in the sport. For guys like Pacquiao and Mayweather who are seeing much bigger checks than the dude who's 15-0 coming up looking for his first title, a title is just another trophy to hang.

Ask yourselves this, do you think Floyd is gonna throw out the showcase of titles he has in his house as if they mean nothing? Of course not...lol, they mean a lot to him because that paved the way to get where he is today. Does he need another belt now? No, he earned his spot in Boxing and is an attraction, something most fighters will never be.

He can say **** about titles now, but prior to him being a star he was all about winning the next title.
      Yes but little do we know, most of these boxers aren't looking to accomplish the most in this sport. Juanma could have faced Cab, although Pacquiao has accomplished alot he could have done more. This isn't a race, Mayweather or Pacquiao don't view this as some sort of race.

Best believe if Pacquiao wanted all the titles at LW/ Jr WW...he could have gotten them a long time ago. So could have Floyd. Hence, titles don't mean much.

Comment

Originally posted by No Ceilings View Post
        What kind of dumb ****** logic is that?
        Because Manny's fans always want to compare Manny's achievements to Floyd's achievements. They always brag about Manny's 7 titles, but he's a paper champ. Floyd won the official belt in the weight classes he won a title and he's going to win the belts at 160.

Floyd can end up with a better resume and career than Pac. A win over a prime Pac and wins over Williams, Martinez, or Berto makes him move up in the ATG list.

Comment

Originally posted by Dominicano Soy! View Post
          Yeah we're never gonna forget that. Again I agree Pacquiao has accomplished more but "Way More?"...I don't think so.

Of course i do think Pac has achieve more but i dont think its that much more like some want to have us believe.

Comment

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
            Exactly. Like I said...Joe Calzaghe was in the running for that award . Not to knock him but...you feel me?
            I can see what you are saying. FWIW...I'm not speaking from my perspective but how I think voters will view things. Honestly someone just told me this, I'm at school right now, but most employers won't care if you got a 2.0 or 4.0 in getting your B.S. or Masters from a school. They only care that you got it (as far as school is concerned). The way I see it is that those voters will only see FOTD and use that as a way to push Pac ahead of certain guys. Is that fair? Again that is very subjective. I only say this because I have seen them do it b4. They didn't care that Roy beat the weakest Title holder at HW but that he actually won it. Also people don't bring this up but Armstrong, a guy I admire, beat Ceferino Garcia pretty decisively at WW yet it was a huge deal when Armstrong tried to face him again at MW. No one really bring those things up, rather that the attempted and in Roy's case, got those belts.

I agree. But when you bring up Hagler (and even Hopkins), you're talking about a different era, when belts meant more. Ricky Hatton had the IBO title, for goodness sake. WTF is that? And he wasn't the best fighter at 140 either so he doesn't get a pass on that side.
            I agree. At the same time Pac beat the best guy available at 140. Ring had him as the champ and Manny beat him. Just outta curiousity, who was better than Ricky at the time Pac faced him? The only other guy people were talking about was Ortiz and after the Maidana fiasco, no way would people wanna see Pac and Ortiz fight. Bradley is one hell of a fighter no doubt, but he wasn't as accomplished then as he is now.

Anyone who saw Hatton against Lazcano knew he was finished. And could not possibly be the best. He was just the best name. It's like arguing that Pea was the best welter when Oscar beat him. Yeah, in magazines but anyone who saw him against Hurtado knew Tito and Quartey would beat his ass. Cotto was a top 147lber but not the top. Not after that beatdown form Margarito who was the top dog until he got beat down. Simple .

I agree that Cotto wasn't the best but I still feel he was top 3. I actually had it a toss up outta between Cotto and Mosley with Pac ranked #3

*Mayweather a wild card as he had only beaten Marquez, so it was unfair to judge him, esp. after such a long layoff.*

Comment

Originally posted by California Love View Post
              Because Manny's fans always want to compare Manny's achievements to Floyd's achievements. They always brag about Manny's 7 titles, but he's a paper champ. Floyd won the official belt in the weight classes he won a title and he's going to win the belts at 160.

Floyd can end up with a better resume and career than Pac. A win over a prime Pac and wins over Williams, Martinez, or Berto makes him move up in the ATG list.
              I just don't get this arguement. I honestly can't argue with you if you said he was a paper champ at 135. At 112, 122,126,130,140, 147 he beat legit champs to win his titles.

I agree Floyd could end up with a better resume, assuming he does a few things.

Comment

Originally posted by Dominicano Soy! View Post
                Yes but little do we know, most of these boxers aren't looking to accomplish the most in this sport. Juanma could have faced Cab, although Pacquiao has accomplished alot he could have done more. This isn't a race, Mayweather or Pacquiao don't view this as some sort of race.

Best believe if Pacquiao wanted all the titles at LW/ Jr WW...he could have gotten them a long time ago. So could have Floyd. Hence, titles don't mean much.
                But JuanMa is still a virtual unknown in the big scheme of things. He's still going to compete for titles as his career moves on and climbs up in weight. Eventually, if he gets there, he can be in a position where goes for the big money fights.

Both Pacquiao and Floyd as we speak are beyond looking for a title more than the biggest payday because they reached that level. Even though there's 4 titles to each division, you gotta earn your stripes just like Pac and Floyd did.

Comment

Floyd is an ATG whether you guys like it or not. He doesn’t need 7 titles to be great, he already is. But if were gonna compare Pacs achievements to Floyds, He ****s on moneys record. Pacs got the historic 7th title, Floyd is undefeated. If someone serves pac a loss, his 7th record 7th stays. IF, I say IF, some beats Floyd, that 0’s gone.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray* View Post

Of course i do think Pac has achieve more but i dont think its that much more like some want to have us believe.
                    honestly Floyd has accomplished alot. Most of those haters don't even believe the stuff they say and know deep down inside whats up. Just my take on things.

Comment

Originally posted by California Love View Post

Floyd fans can only brag about him being undefeated and his PPV sales.

just like what u said (bolded), floyd still has work to do, Pacs achieved that.

Comment

Working...
                      X