Even though he's beyond the age of 30, more than ever, the fighter appears to have everything going for him.
His past two victories were a comeback of sorts, if not, the two biggest of his career.
Argentinian-born southpaw Sergio Martinez, a 35-year-old resident of California, by way of Spain, dethroned 28-year-old, WBO and WBC middleweight (160 pounds) champion, Kelly Pavlik (36-2, 32 knockouts), last month, before Pavlik's partisan fans at the Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City.
Despite being out-weighed by 11 pounds when the two boxers entered the ring, Martinez (45-2-2, 24 knockouts) added two more belts to the junior middleweight (154 pounds) crown that he already owned.
Pavlik was left badly cut and bleeding around both eyes, making him the second, consecutive top-notch pponent who required stitches to repair damage done by Martinez's fists.
Martinez lost December's majority decision to 28-year-old, former three-time champion Paul Williams (38-1, 27 KOs).
But it was Williams who required post-fight surgery to repair cuts above both eyes following a clash of southpaws during which both fighters were down in the first round.
Having emerged from each of the bouts virtually unscathed of any facial damage, Martinez was left to greet the media by himself -- Pavlik and Williams were hospitalized -- with a gracious a humble demeanor.
Not only has Martinez's success garnered him respect as one of the sport's top 10 performers, pound-for-pound, but it could yet land him a lucrative payday with the man regarded as boxing's best fighter.
Floyd Mayweather (41-0, 25 KOs) mused about a potential bout against Martinez during last Saturday night's post-fight press conference following his one-sided, unanimous decision victory over WBA welterweight (147 pounds) king, Shane Mosley (46-6, 39 KOs).
"It would be a great fight. It would not be about the belts, but about the fight," said Martinez, who is nicknamed, "Maravilla," or, "Marvelous."
Martinez would first entertain a return bout with Pavlik, with whom there was a rematch clause in the contract in the event that Pavlik lost.
"Yes, I have a rematch clause with Pavlik and I will do anything to honor my word," said Martinez. "Absolutely I would fight Pavlik first, and then, Mayweather second."
Another opponent Martinez would consider is former world champion, Antonio Margarito (37-6, 27 KOs), who knocked him out in the seventh round in February of 2000.
After that, however, Martinez went 28-0-1, with 18 knockouts before facing Williams, his draw being against former world champion, Kermit Cintron, in February of 2009.
But the dream bout for Martinez is Mayweather.
"I think it would be an exciting fight to see two of the best fighters in the world fight each other in their prime," said Martinez.
"The fight would be action-packed with great combinations of speed, strength and power," said Martinez. "A fight with Mayweather would be a well-deserved fight for me, great for my career, and a dream come true for the boxing fans all over the world."
His past two victories were a comeback of sorts, if not, the two biggest of his career.
Argentinian-born southpaw Sergio Martinez, a 35-year-old resident of California, by way of Spain, dethroned 28-year-old, WBO and WBC middleweight (160 pounds) champion, Kelly Pavlik (36-2, 32 knockouts), last month, before Pavlik's partisan fans at the Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City.
Despite being out-weighed by 11 pounds when the two boxers entered the ring, Martinez (45-2-2, 24 knockouts) added two more belts to the junior middleweight (154 pounds) crown that he already owned.
Pavlik was left badly cut and bleeding around both eyes, making him the second, consecutive top-notch pponent who required stitches to repair damage done by Martinez's fists.
Martinez lost December's majority decision to 28-year-old, former three-time champion Paul Williams (38-1, 27 KOs).
But it was Williams who required post-fight surgery to repair cuts above both eyes following a clash of southpaws during which both fighters were down in the first round.
Having emerged from each of the bouts virtually unscathed of any facial damage, Martinez was left to greet the media by himself -- Pavlik and Williams were hospitalized -- with a gracious a humble demeanor.
Not only has Martinez's success garnered him respect as one of the sport's top 10 performers, pound-for-pound, but it could yet land him a lucrative payday with the man regarded as boxing's best fighter.
Floyd Mayweather (41-0, 25 KOs) mused about a potential bout against Martinez during last Saturday night's post-fight press conference following his one-sided, unanimous decision victory over WBA welterweight (147 pounds) king, Shane Mosley (46-6, 39 KOs).
"It would be a great fight. It would not be about the belts, but about the fight," said Martinez, who is nicknamed, "Maravilla," or, "Marvelous."
Martinez would first entertain a return bout with Pavlik, with whom there was a rematch clause in the contract in the event that Pavlik lost.
"Yes, I have a rematch clause with Pavlik and I will do anything to honor my word," said Martinez. "Absolutely I would fight Pavlik first, and then, Mayweather second."
Another opponent Martinez would consider is former world champion, Antonio Margarito (37-6, 27 KOs), who knocked him out in the seventh round in February of 2000.
After that, however, Martinez went 28-0-1, with 18 knockouts before facing Williams, his draw being against former world champion, Kermit Cintron, in February of 2009.
But the dream bout for Martinez is Mayweather.
"I think it would be an exciting fight to see two of the best fighters in the world fight each other in their prime," said Martinez.
"The fight would be action-packed with great combinations of speed, strength and power," said Martinez. "A fight with Mayweather would be a well-deserved fight for me, great for my career, and a dream come true for the boxing fans all over the world."
Comment