Berto vs Pacquiao most sensible match

Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • freeloada
    Undisputed Champion
    Platinum Champion - 1,000-5,000 posts
    • Jun 2009
    • 3135
    • 269
    • 163
    • 10,218

    #1

    Berto vs Pacquiao most sensible match

    MANILA, Philippines – It seems like another boxing champion is setting his sights on challenging pound-for-pound king Manny Pacquiao, just like Floyd Mayweather, Jr., Shane Mosley, Antonio Margarito and Erik Morales.

    World Boxing Council (WBC) welterweight champion Andre Berto, who successfully defended his title on Saturday (Sunday in Manila) against Puerto Rican Carlos Quintana, said Pacquiao has not faced a boxer like him.

    “It would be a great showdown because he (Pacquiao) has never had to deal with my type of speed and power combined,” Berto said in an Examiner.com article by Vivek Wallace.

    “Some of his opponents had one or the other, but you could make an argument that I'd be the first with that kind of mix,” the Haitian American added.

    Berto's promoter, Lou DiBella, also confirmed that his ward is keen on fighting the Filipino boxing superstar. He said that Pacquiao is “absolutely on the radar if he decides to take the fight.”

    Berto retained his WBC title after scoring an 8th round technical knockout victory at the BankAtlantic Center in Sunrise, Florida.

    Most sensible match-up

    The 26-year-old Berto (26-0, with 20 KOs) is the second undefeated fighter to challenge Pacquiao (51-3-2, with 38 knockouts) after Mayweather (40-0, with 25 KOs).

    He represented Haiti in the 2004 Summer Olympics in Athens, Greece.

    According to a sports journalist, Berto’s victory over Quintana paved the way for him to challenge the 7-division world champion.

    Chris Mannix of Sports Illustrated explained, “On paper it makes a lot of sense. It would unify two titles -- Pacquiao is the WBO title-holder -- and pitting Pacquiao against another power puncher would remove the stench attached to him and his promoter, Bob Arum, after last month's overpriced sparring session with Joshua Clottey.”

    The Haitian-American was supposed to face Mosley of the US last January but he pulled out after the devastating Haiti earthquake, which affected his family.

    Mosley went on to forge a May 1 fight with fellow American Mayweather, whom Pacquiao was supposed to fight last March 13. Their mega fight did not push through because they disagreed on the drug testing protocol. Pacquiao, meantime, retained his World Boxing Organization (WBO) welterweight title after defeating Clottey of Ghana via unanimous decision last March.

    Mannix noted that Pacquiao’s camp would have to wait for the outcome of the Mayweather vs Mosley match.

    “But if Mosley wins -- which would trigger a rematch clause with Mayweather -- or if negotiations with Mayweather crumble, Berto has earned a spot at the top of the list,” he noted. – With reports from Examiner.com and Sports Illustrated

    link
  • Don Flamenco
    Interim Champion
    Gold Champion - 500-1,000 posts
    • Dec 2008
    • 793
    • 59
    • 147
    • 7,098

    #2
    Wouldn't waiting for the winner of mosley-mayweather be more sensible?

    Comment

    • AC-Voltage
      Interim Champion
      • Mar 2010
      • 719
      • 33
      • 0
      • 6,886

      #3
      Pacman isnt fighting til september at the earliest, and if it's not with Mayweather, it will be a Top Rank fighter.

      Comment

      • FloydTBE
        TBE
        Unified Champion - 10,00-20,000 posts
        • Jan 2010
        • 12561
        • 461
        • 204
        • 23,770

        #4
        Yes, I agree, this fight should be made.

        Comment

        • jrosales13
          undisputed champion
          Franchise Champion - 20,000+ posts
          • Sep 2008
          • 32632
          • 738
          • 763
          • 40,023

          #5
          Originally posted by Don Flamenco
          Wouldn't waiting for the winner of mosley-mayweather be more sensible?
          You would think so right

          Comment

          • The Gambler1981
            Undisputed Champion
            Franchise Champion - 20,000+ posts
            • May 2008
            • 25961
            • 520
            • 774
            • 49,039

            #6
            Originally posted by Don Flamenco
            Wouldn't waiting for the winner of mosley-mayweather be more sensible?
            Especially since Berto has an injured bicep and all, it probably will take some time for that to heal up even if it is not bad.

            Comment

            • tyger
              Undisputed Champion
              Franchise Champion - 20,000+ posts
              • Sep 2009
              • 21306
              • 4,039
              • 7,039
              • 32,622

              #7
              It is the best fight out there right now at welterweight.

              Comment

              • TxHustla
                Banned
                Gold Champion - 500-1,000 posts
                • Sep 2008
                • 796
                • 37
                • 5
                • 918

                #8
                berto is ok..but to say he deserves a shot at Pacman is crazy...Pac needs to fight Mosley/Mayweather winner..or at least a Cotto rematch at Jr.Middle when Cotto wins in June..Berto still hasnt beaten anybody..Quintana? please he's been irrelevant since what 2007 2008? And we all know Collazo beat him.

                Comment

                • fats
                  Amateur
                  Interim Champion - 1-100 posts
                  • Apr 2010
                  • 18
                  • 1
                  • 0
                  • 6,528

                  #9
                  Originally posted by TxHustla
                  berto is ok..but to say he deserves a shot at Pacman is crazy...Pac needs to fight Mosley/Mayweather winner..or at least a Cotto rematch at Jr.Middle when Cotto wins in June..Berto still hasnt beaten anybody..Quintana? please he's been irrelevant since what 2007 2008? And we all know Collazo beat him.
                  This, in my opinion, is the problem with boxing. How is it that no one was outraged that Berto was scheduled to fight Shane but now that Pac has room on his calender, suddenly Berto doesn't deserve to fight Pacman. Boxing should be about the best fighting the best, shouldn't it? Pacquiao has no prospective fight and Berto is one of the best WW so why not fight him? No drug test and Pac would get the lion's share of the money; this is a win-win. In addition, ducking is not going to help the Pac-meister in his quest to win over new fans and doubters.

                  Comment

                  • Reloaded
                    Truth Teller
                    Unified Champion - 10,00-20,000 posts
                    • Dec 2009
                    • 17097
                    • 750
                    • 16
                    • 26,393

                    #10
                    Originally posted by tyger
                    It is the best fight out there right now at welterweight.
                    ***en bull**** , Floyd Manny is the only fight to be made nothing else comes close only Floyd Mosley and thats on , Manny needs to cut the bull**** take the OST if he must and fight the winner of Mosley Floyd .

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    TOP