No announcement yet.

Anyone else hate Hopkins?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cupocity303 View Post
    He gets credit for beating Tito because Tito was favored to beat him by a mile. He gets credit because Tito was undefeated and a top 10 P4P fighter. He gets even more credit because Tito didn't just move up from 154 and fight him, he first feeled out the divison against William Joppy, collecting a title along the way. Moving on.
    Not exactly true, Don King staged a MW unification tournament and Tito was expected to win it, then move up and fight Jones at LHW. So his fight with Joppy wasn't a feeling out fight.

As I said before, so what if Tito was favoured to beat him? Just because a lot of people thought something it doesn't make it true. How was Tito expected to win that fight? Hopkins has never been koed. He is the much bigger and stronger fighter and he is a much better boxer than Tito. Hopkins is class A boxer, while Tito is a class B boxer.

The p4p rankings are an imaginary system, which assume that all fighters are the same size, which they are not in real life.So they are at best a guide and nothing more
    He gets credit for the Winky win because it's was a stylistic problem. Winky's style is hard to crack and he did it to an extent. It was Hopkins' first fight back in a year and he could've been rusty, yet he fought a top-skilled fighter unstead of a tune-up opponent.
    After Hopkins beat Tarver he vacated the NABF and IBO LHW belts, but kept the Ring belt, because he could remain a champion without having to fight guys from his own weight class. When Winky was at JMW Hopkins wanted nothing to do with him, when Winky was his mandatory for his WBC MW belt, Hopkins wanted nothing to do with him. In that fight he used the ropes to get extra leverage for his headbutts, which opened a cut above Winkys eye. During the remainder of that fight he regularly fouled (headbutted) Winky which took Winky out of his game plan. And this is a great win according to you?
    As for the Pavlik fight, he took that fight and he took it quick after the Calzaghe loss, as a bounce-back fight to prove people wrong. People wrote him off after Calzaghe, the majority favored Pavlik to beat him and he shocked the world again. So I could care less about your selective (this guy was too little) talk. Pavlik was 6'2 and probably walks around at 175-180 just like Hopkins.
    Calzaghe is an elite fighter, who adapts during the course of the fight, uses angles and can throw up to 100 punches per round. He is a stylistic nightmare for a fighter like Hopkins, who throws around 20 punches per round.
    Which is why Hopkins wanted nothing to do with him, when Calzaghe offered him a fight back in 2003.

Pavlik is a 1d puncher, who basically has a jab and straight right hand. He is a class C boxer at best, made to order for an elite counter puncher like Hopkins. Or to put it another way, he is the complete opposite to Calzaghe

In fact a lot of knowledgeable fans thought that Pavlik was going to lose, the Hopkins-Johnson fight comes to mind.
    If Hopkins wanted to prove the world wrong, why didnt he face someone in his own division instead? Why fight a guy from two divisions below him?
    Pavlik was 6'2 and probably walks around at 175-180 just like Hopkins.
    At the day of the fight, Pavlik came into the fight at 171, only one pound over the 170 pound catch-weight, whereas Hopkins reportedly re-hydrated up to 187, which gave him a 16 pound weight advantage. As such, Hopkins was pretty much a cruiserweight going up against a slender light heavyweight in Pavlik.
    http://www.boxingnew$24.com/2009/02/pavlik-willing-to-fight-hopkins-but-only-at-160/
    Last edited by General Zod; 04-12-2010, 09:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by chaconfan View Post
      I have seen so many fights where he has rolled around and tried to get points taken off fighters by massively over exaggerating any little tap,yet do low blows and butts himself.Then there is all the ranting at commentators(steve Bunce was very intimidated) and his bad mouthing of people.He was chased out of a place in Puerto Rico for trashing thier flag,he also said "No white boy is gonna beat me" he is always moaning and never happy,and i ****ING HATE HIM
      I can understand why you hate him but you have to respect his knowledge in the boxing game. He is a box genius.

Comment

Ok more over-analyzing on your part. So let me get this straight, he gets credit for those victories but it's just a matter of how much credit he should get for beating Delahoya, Tito, Winky, is that right?
        Why is Hopkins always trying to fight fighters who have to move up in weight? Why doesn't he just move up and beat some bigger guys instead?

Winky is prime at jmw and competitive at mw, at lhw he is now 0-1. After losing the Hopkins fight he moved back down to mw, the division he is more comfortable fighting in. Which is why Hopkins didn't want to fight him at MW.

Delahoya moved up and faced Sturm, he lost that fight and was given a gift decision. He would then go on to lose to Hopkins, his record at MW should be 0-2. So we can safey say he wasnt a good MW

Tito at mw is 3-2, his best win being his win over Joppy. Both of his losses were pretty one sided beatdowns, so I can say that at MW he wasn't a elite fighter.

If these guys gave Hopkins a competitive fight and/or then went on to prove themselves in that division, then he should get full credit. If they move up and struggle then he shouldn't get full credit. Its really that simple.
        Can we now create a bar-o-meter to measure how much you think he should get credit for those wins, and how much credit the rest of us think he deserves. It's only a disagreement of degrees of credit he deserves correct?
        Hopkins resume is built on beating up big name smaller guys, guys he has a big size advantage over. If moving up in weight was so easy, why didnt he do it sooner. He always wants to fight guys smaller than himself, which makes him a bully.

He turned down 3m to fight Jones back in 2002
        He turned down 2.5m to fight Calzaghe back in 2003
        He turned down 3m to fight Toney back in 2003
        Why has he refused to fight Dawson, who has been calling him out for a year.
        Why has he refused to fight Toney, who has been calling him out for the past year?
        Why did he price himself out of the Ademek fight?
        Answer:All of these guys are bigger than him

At MW he called out: Mosley, Vargas, Oscar, Tito, Mayorga and Reid
        At LHW he has tried to make fights with: Tito II, Pwill, Froch and Bute
        Answer: All smaller than himself

He is a lhw, who has refused to fight another lhw in four years
        Last edited by General Zod; 04-12-2010, 09:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by General Zod View Post
          Not exactly true, Don King staged a MW unification tournament and Tito was expected to win it, then move up and fight Jones at LHW. So his fight with Joppy wasn't a feeling out fight.

As I said before, so what if Tito was favoured to beat him? Just because a lot of people thought something it doesn't make it true. How was Tito expected to win that fight? Hopkins has never been koed. He is the much bigger and stronger fighter and he is a much better boxer than Tito. Hopkins is class A boxer, while Tito is a class B boxer.
          That's what you say now. That's now what people said back then and perception matter in how much a fighter gets credit for a win.

Hopkins was the underdog and he won.

Comment

Originally posted by General Zod View Post

The p4p rankings are an imaginary system, which assume that all fighters are the same size, which they are not in real life.So they are at best a guide and nothing more

After Hopkins beat Tarver he vacated the NABF and IBO LHW belts, but kept the Ring belt, because he could remain a champion without having to fight guys from his own weight class. When Winky was at JMW Hopkins wanted nothing to do with him, when Winky was his mandatory for his WBC MW belt, Hopkins wanted nothing to do with him. In that fight he used the ropes to get extra leverage for his headbutts, which opened a cut above Winkys eye. During the remainder of that fight he regularly fouled (headbutted) Winky which took Winky out of his game plan. And this is a great win according to you?

Calzaghe is an elite fighter, who adapts during the course of the fight, uses angles and can throw up to 100 punches per round. He is a stylistic nightmare for a fighter like Hopkins, who throws around 20 punches per round.
            Which is why Hopkins wanted nothing to do with him, when Calzaghe offered him a fight back in 2003.

http://www.boxingnew$24.com/2009/02/pavlik-willing-to-fight-hopkins-but-only-at-160/
            Blah, you're one of those. I'm not arguing that 2003 nonsense where Calzaghe didn't even deserve a shot.

You're now just clutching at straws trying to drag this thing out and wear me down with longwinded posts. Well you've suceeded and i've made my main points already, i'm done.

Good bye.

Comment

Working...
            X