• Show
Clear All

• Bhop on Mayweather....

Bombastic Bernard Hopkins rips arrogant buffoon Floyd Mayweather
    April 1, 9:59 PMBoxing ExaminerMichael Marley
    Previous Next
    40 comments Subscribe
    Subscribe

Get alerts when there is a new article from the Boxing Examiner. Read Examiner.com's terms of use.
    Email Address

Include other special offers from Examiner.com
    Terms of Use
    ShareThis
    A tisket, a tasket, a yellow Easter basket, BHop hopped to present this furry rabbit to Roy Jones
    A tisket, a tasket, a yellow Easter basket, BHop hopped to present this furry rabbit to Roy Jones
    Golden Boy (Hogan Photos)

Related articles
    Geography wizard: Bernard Hopkins thinks Australia is in Europe
    Bernard Hopkins nails it on magnitude of Manny Pacquiao
    Runaway family may be fleeing Roy Jones-Bernard Hopkins
    Bubbly Bernard: Hopkins loves that Pacquiao fights for Philippines
    Champion hypocrite: De La Hoya begged Roy Jones to quit boxing

You may not like some of the things that Bernard Hopkins, who came out of State Pen and not Penn State, has to say.

During his tumultuous career, Hopkins has had public and private ruptures with every promoter who has crossed his path.

When I saw him in Chicago in December at the Paulie Malignaggi-Juan Diaz bout, Hopkins told me he could care less about the army of BHop haters in boxing.

"I don't care about them, I only care about my family and that's it," Hopkins said in an hourlong and unplanned rap session we had just after the weigh-in for the Malignaggi-Diaz rematch.

"I go home to my family, I don't go home to the cutthroat people in the boxing business. I'm out to get what's rightfully mine and, when I am done, I won't look back with any regrets."

His words were coldblooded, his demeanor deadly serious but Hopkins just kept making good sense.
    BHop holds his tongue for no man and he suffers no fools.

On the eve of his 17 years later rematch with another faded icon, Roy Jones, Hopkins put his Golden Boy Promotions stablemate (isn't that a terrible expression, sounds like a reference to horses) Floyd Mayweather on extreme blast.

(Compare and contrast Hopsack's stinging rips on Mayweather with how lavishly he has praised Manny Pacquiao.)

Hopkins comes right out and says it, that Mayweather is a neurotic mess, that his flashing of cash in discos and strip joints is blatantly immature, belying his age of 32 years, and that his incessant chatter about material possessions is offputting.

Bernard Hopkins views Flashy Floyd as an immature dummy when it comes to really cashing in (AP Photo)

But Hopkins really hits the ball out of the park by noting that all the shnizzle bizzle by Mayweather is a turnoff to corporate America, a repellent to big money sponsors who might otherwise feather Mayweather's tattered financial nest.

Here's the sizzling Q and A as reported by Ismael Abdu Saleem at Allhiphop.com.

Or you can try to punch up the interview here.

AllHipHop.com: What’s the problem with you and Floyd Mayweather? He never has anything positive to say about you. Was there something that happened in the past between you two or is it just a personality clash?

Hopkins: "Well Floyd had personal stuff to say about Rick Ross, too. He knows me, and he would never say anything to my face. Floyd ain’t no gangster like he thinks he is. I’m not a part of the Hip-hop world when it comes to a rapper. I’m a part of Hip-Hop when it comes to the streets. You can pull up my record. But I don’t back the ignorant days of my past and having to spend years in a 5 by 5 cell. I know how these dudes would really be if they weren’t surrounded by gold watches, diamonds, and all that. It means nothing to me, and I don’t have to play the buffoon like the system wants.

"If he wants to waste money in clubs, blow $40 million dollars and not pay his taxes, that’s on him. We have to think and be different. Warren Buffet and Bill Gates, you haven’t seen those guy’s houses. You haven’t seen Bill Gates with a million dollars sitting in stacks like some drug dealer. I don’t have a self-esteem problem, Floyd does. I’m 45; he’s like a young boy to me. I was schooled by old heads. So when I became an old head to the 20’s and early 30’s guys, when I speak they listen. Same why the rappers do with Jay-Z, I have that in the boxing world.

He may be a vice president of Golden Boy but Hopkins has no golden words for Mayweather's act (Hogan Photos/Golden Boy)

"It ain’t about how much money you got, but how much you can count 20, 30 years from now. Mike Tyson had $300 million dollars, and he got tricked out of it. Let’s see who’s ballin’ 15-20 years from now, when you need the money and can’t jump in the ring and make that money back. Because if the rumors are true, Floyd needs money now [laughs]. It’s not how much you got, but how much you keep. I would never flash my money.

"You’ll never catch me on MTV Cribs. Oh I’m sitting on 17,000 square feet, I got 6 acres. But I ain’t got to call the newspapers and tell them come to my house, and next thing you know someone runs up in there damn near trying to take the Kool Aid out my refrigerator…even though I don’t drink Kool Aid, heh. That’s the difference between me and Floyd and where the arrogance comes from.

"When Floyd saw me at the Fontainebleau in Miami , because I got a condo down there, the first thing he said to me “yo man you got to see my house!” Now I’m looking at this dude at like 2 in the morning, this young boy, saying first of all what do I care? Tell me about you r family, your daughter, your pops, but he wants to tell me I got to see his house like I’m a b***h! I ain’t one of your bitches, man. What are you talking about?! And lo and behold, I watch the 24/7 from the last fight, you seen it and I seen it, him sitting up there with Puffy showing it off. I’m not into that.

"Nobody has seen Jay-Z house, have they? Think about it. Look at the ignorance. Take this as a lesson dog, this is straight knowledge. I’m sitting pretty good. You never see anyone up in my house in Delaware unless they got helicopters. I take them to the condos in Philly and Miami, and they desperately been trying to get to the main house for the last 10 years. They know it’s nice, HBO is like “people got to see it Bernard, see your business savvy, etc.” I say nah, [because] then they won’t want to give me any more checks! I know human nature. Noooo, the less they see the better I’m off.

"That’s a street thing, if I was drug dealer why would I go out and buy a brand new car and draw attention on my block? No, I want them to think I’m doing bad. You take the streets and take into corporate America, and that’s why you have rappers that don’t have to sell coke no more. Corporate America is the new drug game. If you still out there trying to hustle on the block you’re a fool."

There you have it, L'il Floyd. A VP of Golden Boy Promotions, your self chosen promoter, considers you an arrogant fool.

How about fighting back?

We'll have to take your silence, L'il Floyd, as a confirmation of Hopkins' characterization.

Nard gots it for reals yo.

Comment

B HOP KEEPIN IT REAL!!! lol. Gotta love this guy.

Comment

That was crap and instagating at its finest. Ive never ever heard Floyd say anything bad about Hopkins so the dude was just starting ****. Hopkins is the one who sounds jealous and goes in on Floyd at every single chance. Its never the other way around. If Floyd ever did say something bad then it just started and only because Hopkins is dissin him in every interview but I still dont believe it. Its one thing to kick knowledge but you cant do it out of disrespect, espically when Floyd always shows you respect. To me thats more immature.

Also, whats up with Marley always saying that Floyd is his stablemate. Floyd is not really tied in with GBP like those other guys are so dont act like one of the bosses is coming down on Floyd. Floyd could care less about what Hopkins thinks and is basically over top him in every single way

Comment

I do kind of agreed with Hopkins. Floyd is very insecure about his lifestyle. I don't think he's broke though, if he did indeed made at least 40 million dollars on his last two fights before his retirement, how the hell did he spent it all? I'm assuming that Floyd got at least 50 million dollars in his bank account. But Floyd should really be more careful, he has already lost few jewelry worth million of dollars. B-hop is absolutely right.

Comment

Working...
          X