No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Wladimir Klitschko-Eddie Chambers: Early Results, Notes

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ravens Fan View Post
    I believe that if the Klit brothers were Americans they would have a "The Great White Hope has Arrived" parade on main streets across the good old USA. And the brothers would have keys to every city in the country.
    No, they wouldn't. Due to the long history of great heavyweight champions in America, we are very picky when it comes to which champions we shower affection on.

See for example Larry Holmes. He had a very dominant run but the country didn't take to him because he was considered boring.

The same thing with the Klits.

Also, not being American doesn't bother us too much as long as you're good. Look at Manny Pacquiao...we absolutely love the guy and he is Filipino.
    Last edited by ShoulderRoll; 03-21-2010, 02:38 PM.

Comment

Another American HW that cant leave it on the line when he gets a title shot. Reverting to survival mode for 12 rounds. On top of that, using peek a boo style defence against the Klitschkos is just daft.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
        No, they wouldn't. Due to the long history of great heavyweight champions in America, we are very picky when it comes to which champions we shower affection on.

See for example Larry Holmes. He had a very dominant run but the country didn't take to him because he was considered boring.

The same thing with the Klits.

Also, not being American doesn't bother us too much as long as you're good. Look at Manny Pacquiao...we absolutely love the guy and he is Filipino.
        I still believe that if the Klit brothers happened to be from Boston and had the last name of O'Brien or if they had the last name of Brillo and they were from the Bronx or Brooklyn they would be very popular in the USA. And unless I missed something I do believe Larry Holmes is African-American. I was also talking about heavyweights and I believe that you missed my point.

Comment

If the Klits were white guys from Boston they would fight with a lot more fire and aggression, I guarantee you that.

Comment

Originally posted by elephant man View Post
            Anyone know the official scorecards?
            I can't find the official ones, but Wlad clearly won every round, and any judge who scored any of the rounds to Chambers should be locked up.

Comment

Originally posted by switchsouthpaw View Post
              If by fearless you mean slightly above average, then yes Haye is fearless.
              You obviously don't know what irony is. Ravens Fan was being ironic. The point he was making was that Haye looked terrified of Valuev.

Comment

Originally posted by jameshepenstall View Post
                Its easy to be fearless when you can see the punches coming a mile away. Wlad is way more skilled than Valuev and i scored the Haye/Valuev fight pretty close. Vitali and Wlad will not be beaten.
                Another poster who doesn't know what irony is. Haye was the opposite of fearless against Valuev, and that is the point that Ravens Fan was making, using irony.

Comment

If the Klits were white guys from Boston they would fight with a lot more fire and aggression, I guarantee you that.
                  Rubbish. Vitali fights with plenty of fire and aggression; and Wlad's current style was given him by an American trainer called Manny Steward, who made his name training Tommy Hearns. Wlad fought with plenty of aggression in his early career but came unstuck doing so, and because of that, Manny completely changed his style. It's boring to watch but it's incredibly effective. Chambers would have been a contender in any era - he's at least as good as Jimmy Young was, for instance - but he was completely out of his depth against Wlad and lost every round. No one ever beat Jimmy Young that decisively. And it's several years since Wlad has clearly lost even a single round of a fight, and he's been fighting top 5 opponents for that entire time.

Comment

I have to ask. Are all white fighters from Boston aggressive or does that only count if their from Boston and happen to be Irish? And if the Klit brothers were from Boston they could fight just like Kevin McBride. Wow, now wouldn't that be fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Rado View Post
                      Rubbish. Vitali fights with plenty of fire and aggression; and Wlad's current style was given him by an American trainer called Manny Steward, who made his name training Tommy Hearns. Wlad fought with plenty of aggression in his early career but came unstuck doing so, and because of that, Manny completely changed his style. It's boring to watch but it's incredibly effective. Chambers would have been a contender in any era - he's at least as good as Jimmy Young was, for instance - but he was completely out of his depth against Wlad and lost every round. No one ever beat Jimmy Young that decisively. And it's several years since Wlad has clearly lost even a single round of a fight, and he's been fighting top 5 opponents for that entire time.
                      Good post. And Wlad has dominated for so long I want to know why he is not in the Rings pound for pound top ten? Wlad is not there yet Chad Dawson is and all he has done is beat up two senior citizens in the last two years. And Cotto gets knocked out twice and he is still included in the top ten. And Paul Williams has dominated absolutely nothing and yet he is in the top ten. I could go on but I will just ask why not Wlad?

Comment

Working...
                      X